Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Wow. Scoot Air Baggage - did I get burned!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2018, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon

So, booked a return flight SIN-BKK for some meetings. I have a couple of bags, a suitcase and some demo equipment. The baggage limit is 20kg, which I knew I would exceed, but did not know the weight of my load offhand. Figured, WTH, couldn't matter too much.

So, go to the airport to check in on the outward leg. 12kg over the allowed, at S$20 per kg! $240 for the flight!!

On the return, now I knew the excess weight, went to the Scoot site and pre-paid for 15kg. S$42.

Whopping rip off at the airport or what!?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:38 am

Programs: ROP Gold
Yes, a rip off aboslutely. Excellent "business model".
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
I'm amazed that you didn't already know this. Even full service SQ charges for excess baggage (albeit at a lower ~s$10.50/kg for BKK).
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuigao
I'm amazed that you didn't already know this. Even full service SQ charges for excess baggage (albeit at a lower ~s$10.50/kg for BKK).
Never flown them before, and really don't usually use LCCs. Spoilt because wherever I usually go I get my DL allowances, so no cost.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 12:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by tanglin
Never flown them before, and really don't usually use LCCs. Spoilt because wherever I usually go I get my DL allowances, so no cost.
Ah OK, the $240 really sucks then, but it's LCC standard business model, nothing do to (specifically) with scoot.

AirAsia
From Singapore to Bangkok – Don Mueang
Excess Baggage Charges (also applies to Excess Sports Equipment) per kg SGD 23

Jetstar
International flights within Asia excess baggage
Flights departing from
Amount per kg
Singapore SGD $20
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:17 am

The real ripoff is the processing fee.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:54 pm

All the T&Cs are clearly stated. Invest in a travel weighing scale or use a bathroom scale. My family was encountered additional baggage fees when flying back from Perth despite my repeated warnings about the baggage weight, and we also had travel weighting scales that were not put to use. Penny wise, pound foolish. Not surprisingly, people keep blaming the system, situation and everything else but themselves.
Ex-SIN, yauee, tth_ben and 1 others like this.

Last edited by kevinoh; Aug 9, 2018 at 11:25 am
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:44 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Use LCCs only if you are truly a minimum, no deviation from the base level of service, type of traveller. As many have pointed out, it's not Scoot, it's an LCC business model.
seavisionburma likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by fimo
Use LCCs only if you are truly a minimum, no deviation from the base level of service, type of traveller.
It’s just as much type of travel as it is type of traveller. I can be a LCC type of traveller if I’m taking a weekend away in Phuket with some hand luggage only, but if I’m travelling to Europe for a few weeks I’m a different sort of beast.

Having said that, within Europe there is very little difference between the low cost and the traditional carriers. These days they nearly all want to slug you for checked luggage, seat selection, food etc. We are a bit spoilt in Asia in that there’s still a decent choice.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh

It’s just as much type of travel as it is type of traveller. I can be a LCC type of traveller if I’m taking a weekend away in Phuket with some hand luggage only, but if I’m travelling to Europe for a few weeks I’m a different sort of beast.

Having said that, within Europe there is very little difference between the low cost and the traditional carriers. These days they nearly all want to slug you for checked luggage, seat selection, food etc. We are a bit spoilt in Asia in that there’s still a decent choice.
Indeed - I was going to expand on that but got lazy... hahaha. I've done LCC when I know i'm doing a quick getaway with limited luggage and no connecting flights etc etc. You really have to match the service offering to your needs.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:21 am
Original Poster

I understand the LCC cost model, and was prepared for a reasonably hefty fee at the airport.

I was really just surprised at the difference between the 6x differential airport fee and the online fee.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 5:30 am

I understand the LCC cost model, and was prepared for a reasonably hefty fee at the airport.

I was really just surprised at the difference between the 6x differential airport fee and the online fee.
They don't want people rocking up the counter with a tonne of bags that they hadn't forecast.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by fimo
They don't want people rocking up the counter with a tonne of bags that they hadn't forecast.
Yeah I can see why - although you were obviously prepared, I always get the dude or family with 40kg suitcase on a 20/23/30kg ticket, thus will spend 5 minutes pleading his case with all sort of excues (last flight was okay, family jewels, scale broken) whilst I'm stood behind him waiting for one of them to surrender. It's extremely rate when someone rocks up, bag on scales, ah it's over, okay, I'll swiftly move away to the payment counter so you can continuing checking in other passengers without delay, thanks you and nice day.,. It's a deterrent at end of day to keep lines moving
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:34 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium

surprised by something they published?

https://cdn.flyscoot.com/prod/docs/d...rsn=3a1b23ac_6
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:06 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Also, some Full Service carriers charges even more per kg.

For instance, QR charges between USD40-70 per kg, depending on your itinerary, so this is still “low cost” in comparison
kevinoh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.