Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ resumes SIN-LAX non-stop on A350ULR from Nov 2

Old Jul 11, 2018, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Three flights per week starting Nov 2 as SQ37/SQ38 (on Wednesday, Friday, Sunday), toggling to daily from Nov 9, with an additional three flights from December 7 ((SQ35/SQ36, ex-SIN on Wednesday, Friday, Sunday) for a total of ten flights per week.

More at https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-a...to-los-angeles
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: OZ, KE, BX, 7C
ICN

Does this mean SQ gives up the fifth freedom of Korea - USA flight?
Thought they would announce ICN - NYC.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:30 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
So with EWR accounting for 2 aircraft, LAX for 3 and SFO for 1, that wouldn't leave much spare for another US non-stop destination they originally talked about? IIRC, they were getting 7 ULR aircraft.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
While I personally would like to see ICN-JFK on SQ I don't know if there is enough demand when there is already 2x daily A380/747-8i on KE and OZ has scaled back to an A359 for half the year. Going against another Star Alliance airline on a route with two national carriers can be rough even for the likes of SQ. SQ also already flies to both JFK & EWR. Maybe going for IAD which isn't flown by another Star Alliance airline or YYZ which has KE & AC but not OZ and both are midday departures.

Originally Posted by nuff
Old Jul 11, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Yes, LAX-ICN will be gone according to VFTW.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: Some...
Is the fifth freedom granted for any route between 2 countries or for a specific route?

Could SQ use the "old" fifth freedom between LAX and ICN to operate another route or should they apply for a new right all over again?
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Fingers crossed for a launch special! Seems like this is just in time for Thanksgiving ...
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by thibderoc
Is the fifth freedom granted for any route between 2 countries or for a specific route?

Could SQ use the "old" fifth freedom between LAX and ICN to operate another route or should they apply for a new right all over again?
Any route can be applied like ICN-EWR. They used it on ICN-SFO for years. But should use immediately not to lose the freedom like ICN-YVR.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:43 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I have two award bookings LAX-ICN-SIN-DPS in November and February.

Any chance they will cut these flights and put us on the nonstops?

EDIT:

EEEERIE!!!!

Just got an email saying our Feb 2019 flight in J has been rescheduled to the nonstop flight!!

OUr Nov flight is in F so it appears that they are still going to run the Long-haul LAX-ICN-SIN flight in November.

Last edited by 355F1; Jul 11, 2018 at 10:27 pm
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:48 pm

The ICN flight will not be cancelled till December 1.

After December 1, there will be one Singapore Airlines flight with first class service, which is the flight via Tokyo Narita.

Carfield
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:36 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Any route can be applied like ICN-EWR. They used it on ICN-SFO for years. But should use immediately not to lose the freedom like ICN-YVR.
ICN-YVR would be a different fifth freedom to ICN-SFO or LAX. Different country, no?

SQ are clearly looking at non-stops as a differentiation strategy, vs competitors. Routing via ICN achieves nothing really with regards to this, i other than if they need the extra pax to support the fourth ICN frequency, as it is still one stop to the US.

With the presence of some significant corporates around SEA, and relatively new partnership with AS, I wonder if SIN-SEA would ever happen? It's probably been considered. But doesn't need the ULR.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:35 am

I've just received email from SQ that my Feb 2019 flight has been changed from SQ007 to SQ037. It arrives in SIN at 08:15 (2:15 later than SQ007) so I will have to have my SIN-MEL flight changed as well (from SQ207 to SQ217). At the moment I cannot retrieve my booking, as the website can't find it. I will try again tomorrow and if it still fails will give them a call.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:47 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Carfield
The ICN flight will not be cancelled till December 1.

After December 1, there will be one Singapore Airlines flight with first class service, which is the flight via Tokyo Narita.

Carfield
yep. Just confirmed this with SQ customer service.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
ICN-YVR would be a different fifth freedom to ICN-SFO or LAX. Different country, no?
I mean they lost Korea - Canada 5th freedom after cancelled ICN-YVR.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:56 am

Beyond Korea, SQ (or Singapore side) still owns 5th freedom to one port in Canada and one port in the US. These 5th freedom doesn't have to be continuously used. Set aside the complicated relation between Singapore and Canada, the reason SQ isn't bothered resuming ICN-Canada is because of restricted number of (actually units count) ICN-SIN flights.

To operate SIN-ICN-YVR 3/w, SQ has to suspend 6/w SIN-ICN, because that flight will use 6/w ICN-'wherever' slots. Now that SQ suspends ICN-LAX, SQ can operate one more SIN-ICN which could bring a total of 5 daily flights between two airports. Demand on this route has soared recently. Some LCCs even launched ICN-JHB.

Why they don't add more flights? Because Singapore side wants more 5th freedom out of Korea and Korea doesn't let it happen.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.