MNL turnaround with checked bag

Old Jul 8, 2018, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
MNL turnaround with checked bag

Hi folks,

My mother recently booked a cheap MNL-JNB fare. Thing is, she is based in KUL so will have to position to MNL. Originally we were thinking to go with MH for the nonstop, but it seems like MH and SQ operate out of different terminals at MNL (pending the terminal reassignment--who knows if that will happen as scheduled in August).

So I am now thinking to route her on SQ for her positioning flights, reducing the potential hassle of transferring between T1 and T3. She departs on SQ 921 at 19:00. She'll have a checked bag and will be flying in J. I'm looking at booking her inbound on SQ 912, which arrives at 15:55, leaving three hours to clear immigration, collect her checked bag, and recheck landside. Questions:

(1) Would SQ agents at KUL be willing to check her bag straight to JNB while skipping MNL altogether (i.e. check it KUL-SIN-JNB)?

(2) On the way to MNL, she'd have a 50 min layover in SIN. In theory there's a backup if she misses the connection due to an inbound delay from KUL (SQ 916, which arrives MNL at 17:55 and turns around as her SQ 921 departing at 19:00), but this would be an impossible connection if she has to deal with reclaiming her checked bag at MNL. If she were to misconnect in SIN on the way out, would SQ "protect" her by just removing the SIN-MNL-SIN legs and rerouting her bags accordingly?

Any thoughts or other suggestions you all may have are appreciated!

Last edited by dkc192; Jul 8, 2018 at 9:20 am
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
I'd travel the day before and stay overnight in Manila to de-risk this as much as possible!

SQ experts will give refined advice, but IMHO I very much doubt that SQ would protect/accommodate the possible dynamic changes you have outlined, especially the idea of having her bags skip SIN-MNL-SIN.

So, IMHO: 1) no. 2) no.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 2:03 am

For point 2 , these are two separate tickets. So dun think SQ will protect the pax. The TNC of each ticket will be different. If SQ allow the pax to skip SIN-MNL-SIN, then lot of people will be doing this, instead of having to position themselves to MNL or India for the cheap ticket.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Right on, I understand the concept of two separate tickets, but figured there might be a slightly higher than nil chance of SQ protecting her if SQ caused the delay/misconnect on the KUL-SIN-MNL ticket. Anyways, I've talked with her and she'll be traveling the night before to avoid any stress and break up a long journey.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.