Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ (old) Business Seats vs. QR, CX - help me decide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, Hertz PC

First, I'm not sure this is the right subforum as I'm comparing several airlines, but I'll give it a go anyway.

I am planning a trip FRA-SIN-CGK in paid J in September 2018. At the moment my first option is SQ 25 (A380) on the FRA-SIN route and SQ 326 (777-300ER) on the way back. I haven't flown SQ long haul in at least 3 years. I assume none of these (will) have the new Business seats. Am I right? How do the seats on these flight compare to the competition? I am considering the following alternatives:
  1. CX via HKG. Advantages: a seat that I know and like, with a bit of luck on all 4 segments. Also, I love The Pier in HKG.
  2. QR via DOH. Advantage: I get to experience the QSuites (for 6 short hours) on the FRA-DOH segment, DOH-CKG seat also not too bad.
  3. OZ via ICN: Advantages: most suitable flight times, but recliner seat between ICN-CGK.
My question is, which one would you choose for a good sleep?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: QF GA NZ WN. Accor+ Bonvoy IHC
You’ll get the longest sleep time on CX sectors, but their seats I’m not too fussed with. QR is my preferred airline anyday though.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: LH FTL
I flew QR to CGK in 2016 and SQ to DPS in 2017 (on the 773), and given that there is no significant fare difference or alliance preference, I'd go for QR, too. Not only for the seat, but also for the service concept.
ICN seems a bit out of the way to get from FRA to CGK, in my opinion.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:42 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

ICN is definitely a detour, and I don't find their product to be superior to QR or CX. In terms of seating, I would lean more towards QR and CX, but in terms of convenience, I'd prefer SQ.

If you by any chance follow the CX forum, you'll find that the quality of food in the CX HKG lounges has deteriorated greatly, which is a pity. I would still go for CX over Al Mourjan in Doha, given how it's relatively easier to get a shower in the CX lounges (should that be of any importance to you). OZ is definitely out of the question, and I honestly won't regard them as a reasonable option.

Overall, I'd lean most to CX and/or SQ

Also, SQ has their own private lounge in Jakarta which is nicer compared to the mess the other lounges are. QR and CX uses the same lounge in CGK.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:22 am

I'd give another vote to CX. You will feel better rested on FRA-HKG flight, given the longer flight time. I always feel one can't truly rest well on an EU-ME flight.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, QR Gold, Hertz PC
Thanks a lot for all the fantastic insight, I really appreciate it!

I decided to give QR a go. Since I have a bit of slack in my schedule I figured I'd spend around 18 hours in Doha on the way to CGK. QR has a free stopover hotel program (now I just need to decide which hotel :-)... In this way I'll get to CGK around 8 am, which suits me perfectly.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
If food is an important aspect of your business class journey, I would avoid CX (until after 2019 when they introduce their new business class dining concept onto all routes).

CX heats and serves their main courses in business class in those ugly economy class style ramekin dishes. This often results in overcooked beef.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:04 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
I find it surprising that some folks here prefer QR vs. SQ. Just flew back from Europe on QR yesterday - technically they are just fine, but would generally prefer SQ (reliability, service, no need to walk around DOH).

On QR, I find the lack of privacy in the open dorm J cabin slightly annoying. Interesting to note, on the first sector J cabin was filled up with op upgrades (the person sitting next to me had silver status in some other oneworld programme). Meal options were quite good - although on both flights they were out of my first option & DOH-SIN they only had one meal service (breakfast).

DOH lounge (Al Mourjan) is good.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:57 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nanyang
I find it surprising that some folks here prefer QR vs. SQ. Just flew back from Europe on QR yesterday - technically they are just fine, but would generally prefer SQ (reliability, service, no need to walk around DOH).

On QR, I find the lack of privacy in the open dorm J cabin slightly annoying. Interesting to note, on the first sector J cabin was filled up with op upgrades (the person sitting next to me had silver status in some other oneworld programme). Meal options were quite good - although on both flights they were out of my first option & DOH-SIN they only had one meal service (breakfast).

DOH lounge (Al Mourjan) is good.
I actually find service to be superior in QR J, though I generally dislike walking through DOH.
In regards to meal options, you can do a Meal Choice 14 days prior to travel, to guarantee your choice. I find meals to be slightly better on SQ, but find QR's meals to be very agreeable. And in regards to one meal service, I hope you realise that they do a dine on demand service, so you're not actually limited to one meal, but can have more from the on demand menu.

I don't like QR's seats as much per se, though I find SQ's sleeping arrangement rather bit awkward, and have a preference for CX's seat instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.