Search

MySQupgrade and long layover

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold | South African Airways Voyager Gold
MySQupgrade and long layover

Good day all

This will be my first time travelling SQ in years. I will be flying with my partner CPT-DPS with a layover in SIN from 0600 to 1630 on the outbound. I am grossly unfamiliar with SQ so any clarification would be very greatly appreciated.

1) I received an offer to bid for an upgrade on the CPT-SIN and SIN-CPT legs of the trip. Since this is a 14 hour flight, I thought it would be much more bearable in PE. The bid bar ranges from ZAR2110 to ZAR4635. Any idea what is the minimum bid that may be accepted? (Bearing in mind that we are travelling on a student budget!) I have put in ZAR2500 for both the outbound and return, but can change it if need be. My thoughts are also that if the flight is empty it would probably be comfier to be in Y since the armrests can be raised, which is why I am very 50/50 about raising my bid. I haven’t flown long haul Y in years so am very scared of 14 hours in it!

2) Any tips for the long layover in Changi? My idea is to go out an explore SIN and maybe grab lunch somewhere interesting? Will this be advisable?

Thank you guys for all the advice!
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: Krisflyer
I think you are able to change the bid for your return flight up to 48 hours beforehand (correct me if I'm wrong) so you can see how the outbound journey goes and adjust your bidding plans accordingly.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:44 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

About your second question: 10.5 hours between flights is more than sufficient to leave the airport and explore the city with the subway (MRT trains, you can find the Airport MRT station at Terminal 3, though all terminals except for T4 are connected)

I personally wouldn't go too far from the airport as the Changi Airport itself has many to offer, but there are also a few history-relacted places of interest around Changi Airport if that interests you.

There are also airport run Transit Tours which should be available to you. They are free and take 2.5 hours. There are 5 tours each day, and the first is at 9 am. You can find more information about it here:

http://www.changiairport.com/en/airp...pore-tour.html

Safe Travels!
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys so much for all the advice! It is much appreciated

Sorry for sounding like such a noob, but can somebody advice me on what the process would be on transiting in SIN but leaving the airport to explore before the next flight? I’m assuming that we would go through immigration and then exit the airport (our bags should be tagged to DPS?). Then upon returning we would head straight through to security as we would already have boarding passes for our flight to DPS?

Also, we are keen on checking out the gardens by the Bay Area, as we are both into architecture. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to get there and back from the airport and a good lunch spot?

Thanks again for all the wonderful advice
Old Jul 7, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
You go through immigration (get your fingerprint taken) - you can leave cabin luggage in lockers at the airport (I don't recall if they are before or after security - obviously you will need your boarding pass and passport to get back to airside). MRT train or taxi to get to the city. Then it's quite easy to get back through security as yu arealready checked in and have no additional luggage.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 12:02 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by onlySIA
You go through immigration (get your fingerprint taken) - you can leave cabin luggage in lockers at the airport (I don't recall if they are before or after security - obviously you will need your boarding pass and passport to get back to airside). MRT train or taxi to get to the city. Then it's quite easy to get back through security as yu arealready checked in and have no additional luggage.
There are luggage storage services in both airside and landside. They are organised by 'Smarte Carte'.

Also in regards to the OP's question, I would recommend taking a taxi as it does take quite a while to get to Gardens by the Bay with the MRT (BayFront Station).

Alternatively, SQ's city tour makes a stop at Gardens by the Bay (at least according to their itinerary), but given your interest, I don't think it will have sufficient time for one to explore the garden itself.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys again for the invaluable advice! It has definitely helped my anxiety of needing to know how everything works beforehand, since I am a complete SQ noob

One last question, are taxis in Singapore expensive or reasonably priced? Because this will determine whether we use them or the MRT. Does Uber operate there?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:27 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Ahmed777
Thank you guys again for the invaluable advice! It has definitely helped my anxiety of needing to know how everything works beforehand, since I am a complete SQ noob

One last question, are taxis in Singapore expensive or reasonably priced? Because this will determine whether we use them or the MRT. Does Uber operate there?
Uber has closed down but taxis are, by western standards, cheap. I guess about SGD$25 to Gardens by the Bay. There is a fake hawker centre on site 'Satay by the Bay' which is ok or you can walk through to Marina Bay Sands (the three towers with swimming pool on the roof) and get lunch in the huge shopping centre there. Have a great trip!
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again

Little update: my bid of ZAR2510 per person was accepted! So we will at least be in PE for the long flight.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by w4rd
Uber has closed down but taxis are, by western standards, cheap. I guess about SGD$25 to Gardens by the Bay. There is a fake hawker centre on site 'Satay by the Bay' which is ok or you can walk through to Marina Bay Sands (the three towers with swimming pool on the roof) and get lunch in the huge shopping centre there. Have a great trip!
Uber merged with Grab. Download Grab Taxi beforehand and it works same way as Uber did for SEA.

If it’s same ticket the bags should be checked all way through to DPS.

The easiest way to get to Gardens By Bay - MRT to Bayfront MRT and walk to the gardens from there. Bayfront serves Marina Bay Sands and Gardens by the Bay so whilst you’re there you may as well see the bay view too.

Couple of things to note -

Check if you need visas.

It’s very hot and humid in Singapore. You may want to bring something to refresh yourselves, like a change of clothes. There are showers available in some of the lounges if you have access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.