Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Sleeping in T3 SilverKris Lounge vs airside hotel overnight

Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

I have a long layover next year, landing about 3:45pm, and leaving the next morning for Sydney at 9:30, via J. I was planning to rent an overnight airside hotel but saw some reviews that the T3 SilverKris lounge for business class travellers is quite large, has comfortable couches, and staff will even provide you with a pillow and blanket. Has anyone done so, and I assume with the shower facilities, it would be not be an issue, provided it was comfortable enough?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Go into town if you arrive in the middle of the afternoon and don't depart until 9:30 the next morning. SIN is a great airport, but that much time would be boring, whether you stay in the SQ business class lounge (which BTW is not open to you if you're a *Gold in coach) or the transit hotel.
Boturham likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

I am planning to do the free tour offered by the airport of the town, and coupled with the other airport sights to see (including the soon to be open Jewel development in the airport itself), I'm HOPING it's enough.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TravellingBeard
I am planning to do the free tour offered by the airport of the town, and coupled with the other airport sights to see (including the soon to be open Jewel development in the airport itself), I'm HOPING it's enough.
Check the details carefully about eligibility for the tour, hours, and whether you can take it with your flight schedule and be deposited back airside, although if your flight is operated by SQ you can check in as much as 48 hours before the flight. I've checked in late in the evening before a morning SQ flight and gone to the lounge (in fact, TPR) for dinner before spending the night in the airside transit hotel and then returning to the lounge for a quick breakfast before the flight.

BTW the SQ lounge showers are more luxurious that those that you will find in your ensuite bathroom in the transit hotel.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Check the details carefully about eligibility for the tour, hours, and whether you can take it with your flight schedule and be deposited back airside, although if your flight is operated by SQ you can check in as much as 48 hours before the flight. I've checked in late in the evening before a morning SQ flight and gone to the lounge (in fact, TPR) for dinner before spending the night in the airside transit hotel and then returning to the lounge for a quick breakfast before the flight.

BTW the SQ lounge showers are more luxurious that those that you will find in your ensuite bathroom in the transit hotel.

So, the city sights tour has a registration close of 5 or 6:30pm, enough time after I land. It finishes at 8:30pm/10pm, and I do some sightseeing in the airport before heading to the lounge. Jetlag isn't much of an issue, as I'll have arrived from Bangkok, so will be awake enough to not crash. My outbound flight is the next morning, so plenty of time fortunately. And yes, a nice hot shower will do wonders. I'm upgrading my carry-on this time to have a proper change of clothes in it.

Last edited by TravellingBeard; Jun 3, 2018 at 3:21 pm Reason: Edit for some clarification/grammar.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:17 pm

note about the restrictions:
Transit passengers are allowed to enter and exit Singapore once during their layover period, as per guidelines stipulated by Immigration & Checkpoints Authority of Singapore. Therefore, passengers are not able to join more than 1 tour.
tour drops you off back at changi (no way around this), and afaik you can remain landside or go airside. tours can fill up quickly, so go register once you land

https://www.travelcodex.com/taking-f...hangi-airport/
The tour drops you off at the departures level at Changi airport, so from there, you are free to split or proceed to your onward flight.

I've stayed overnight at SIN twice before (flight at 6am), crashed at the various PP lounges (prefer the Plaza Premium one)

I recall the SilverKris lounge being busy around midnight (a lot of european flights).
you may want to reach there after 2am, though public transport stops around midnight. taxi/grab is cheap enough (under 30SGD )

Last edited by paperwastage; Jun 3, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Old Jun 3, 2018, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
@TravellingBeard

Indeed, I ended up with a very late inbound once and it made no sense to leave airside for the few overnight hours.

Yes, the staff at the front desk have blankets and pillows although not sure how many they keep on hand. There were many people there the night I was, but few were sleeping, most sitting or eating etc.

Also, the SKL in T3 was quite crowded. The showers were always great in my experience.

One of the people who was sleeping in the back near the bar area at the same time I was.

Many of the middle seating areas like this were full of people waiting for their overnight flights.

Also, as for taxis, keep in mind there is a "security surcharge" between midnight and 6 or 7am. Not sure if Grab has the same type of surcharge.

I've paid only about $12 SGD from City Hall station to SIN at 4am, a few dollars more in the morning. All depends on traffic as we know. If flight times allow, I generally prefer to take the subway back to Changi.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:21 pm

We've slept in the SilverKris lounge a couple of times. Usually there are very few people there overnight, and you can stretch out on the couches. The staff have brought pillows and blankets for us. I would recommend having your earplugs with you, as it isn't particularly quiet, with vacuum cleaners and announcements. We found it quite comfortable, and managed a few hours sleep. The showers are very good, and there is usually no wait, or at least only a short wait.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:50 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Arriving mid afternoon and not departing particularly early the next morning, means there is plenty of time to stay in a real bed in a hotel in the city. Then you would also not be constrained by the hours/availability of the tour - you can see the sights for yourself at your convenience.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:52 pm

I would want to avoid being stuck on a bus after a long flight, but I never voluntarily do group tours.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Go into town if you arrive in the middle of the afternoon and don't depart until 9:30 the next morning.
+1000
CBD is a 15-20 minute taxi ride from Changi . . . Orchard Road is just a few minutes farther.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
If you are worried about transfers etc then consider a Singapore Air Stopover Holiday. Hotel and return transfers included. Plus there is an option to add sightseeing pass.

if you don't have the option to book this online then give SQ a call and they add it for you.

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/nz...pover-holiday/
Old Jun 4, 2018, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QTFLYER
If you are worried about transfers etc then consider a Singapore Air Stopover Holiday. Hotel and return transfers included. Plus there is an option to add sightseeing pass.

if you don't have the option to book this online then give SQ a call and they add it for you.

Singapore Stopover Holiday (SSH)
Oh nice...didn't even realize this was an option. Thank you!
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Airpoints, HHONORS GOLD VIP, Aclub Gold
A point to note.. it seems that since I last used this service in March, SQ have now removed transfers as part of the deal and are now additional.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 12:01 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Arriving mid afternoon and not departing particularly early the next morning, means there is plenty of time to stay in a real bed in a hotel in the city. Then you would also not be constrained by the hours/availability of the tour - you can see the sights for yourself at your convenience.
I certainly would go to a hotel.

Having said that, much to the amusement of hotel staff I normally even travel into the city for a post-midnight arrival followed by a 9 am departure simply because I prefer it, even though Changi is a nice airport as far as airports go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.