Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drama in the SQ lounge

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 3:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood PLATINUM, BA GOLD, KrisFlyer Blue, GFF Silver, BATS After Work Club, Emirates Silver
Drama in the SQ lounge

My first opportunity to visit the SQ lounge in SIN T2 turned into quite a drama yesterday. I was at one of the computers near the entrance. I hear a lady and her family ask to enter the lounge, but I think she was trying to do it from status and was told she could take only one guest. Then she started screaming about how she flies SQ around the world in first class, and her son starts screaming at the staff to let them in. This is met with polite refusal and then the husband starts screaming at the staff in Chinese. Then the son bursts into uncontrollable tears, and the woman starts screaming that because the staff has caused her 9 year old boy to cry she will call the police. Meanwhile around 30 guests were congregating to get a closer look at the entertainment see what was going on. Various other staff arrived but the family stuck to their guns and the screaming and banging the table was still going on 20 minutes later when I had to go for my flight. Meanwhile a queue was building of people who wanted to get in, but couldn't as the staff were dealing with this entitled family. I'd love to know how it turned out.

Last edited by john11111111111; May 24, 2018 at 3:34 am
Old May 24, 2018, 5:58 am

Spoilt!

Would have loved to hear the story end with them calling the police and then wasting police time.
Old May 24, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
This reminds me of what happened just this weekend. The showers in the SQ lounge in HKG are being renovated and so I hauled myself to the UA lounge for one. While in the shower, I could hear an extremely loud arguement (in chinese) which presume was between an attendant and a passenger. This went on for maybe 10-15 minutes and when I stepped out of the shower, someone ushered me to go around through the front of the lounge to get back inside instead of turn right back into it. Wonder what was happening.
Old May 24, 2018, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Cool

Trap doors.

The solution to all boorish behavior at lounges, counters, gates, and anywhere else where people are waiting.

The staff press a button and all of a sudden one is in a trash dumpster one level below. The trap door closes, the next person steps up and is greeted with a smile.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:41 am

I'm surprised in 20mins security didn't turn up
Old May 27, 2018, 4:25 am

Originally Posted by Often1
Trap doors.

The solution to all boorish behavior at lounges, counters, gates, and anywhere else where people are waiting.

The staff press a button and all of a sudden one is in a trash dumpster one level below. The trap door closes, the next person steps up and is greeted with a smile.
Or confiscate their boarding pass so they kiss their flights goodbye - after all they are THAT keen to spend time in the lounge?!
Old May 31, 2018, 6:55 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Ahh the nouveau-riche phenomenon of entitlement...

To the lady: if you fly first class around the world all the time, then how come you aren't doing just that (and thus easily solving the problem)?

Reminded me of a time when I overheard a lady trying to get her party of 4 into the Jakarta Premier Lounge using a single credit card entitlement... and not that the Jakarta lounge is good either...
Old May 31, 2018, 11:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by clubeurope
To the lady: if you fly first class around the world all the time, then how come you aren't doing just that (and thus easily solving the problem)?
Hahaha, totally!

She should be a PPS-S if she had done that, and then can give her husband or her child the PPS. Problem solved!

I'd love to intervene in something like this and say exactly that and see their reaction.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Hahaha, totally!

She should be a PPS-S if she had done that, and then can give her husband or her child the PPS. Problem solved!

I'd love to intervene in something like this and say exactly that and see their reaction.
I could just imagine her making an even bigger scene and throwing even worst of a tantrum to the extent that someone will actually call the police, but not to side by her...

I mean what logic does she have in her argument? Call the police? for what? The lounge dragons made no mistake, and especially so after her arguments
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by john11111111111
My first opportunity to visit the SQ lounge in SIN T2 turned into quite a drama yesterday. I was at one of the computers near the entrance. I hear a lady and her family ask to enter the lounge, but I think she was trying to do it from status and was told she could take only one guest. Then she started screaming about how she flies SQ around the world in first class, and her son starts screaming at the staff to let them in. This is met with polite refusal and then the husband starts screaming at the staff in Chinese. Then the son bursts into uncontrollable tears, and the woman starts screaming that because the staff has caused her 9 year old boy to cry she will call the police. Meanwhile around 30 guests were congregating to get a closer look at the entertainment see what was going on. Various other staff arrived but the family stuck to their guns and the screaming and banging the table was still going on 20 minutes later when I had to go for my flight. Meanwhile a queue was building of people who wanted to get in, but couldn't as the staff were dealing with this entitled family. I'd love to know how it turned out.
I am very surprised no one has video this and posted on social media?!
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by global happy traveller
I am very surprised no one has video this and posted on social media?!
Someone probably did, and I'm guessing it'll be in Chinese.... sooooo (probably hasn't surfaced in the english media yet)
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by clubeurope
I could just imagine her making an even bigger scene and throwing even worst of a tantrum to the extent that someone will actually call the police, but not to side by her...

I mean what logic does she have in her argument? Call the police? for what? The lounge dragons made no mistake, and especially so after her arguments
It should be the lounge guardians that call the police (or at least the security), not her, for sure.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 1:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Video or it didn't happen.

Ooops, some one beat me to it!

Last edited by LondonElite; Jun 3, 2018 at 4:43 am
Old Jun 2, 2018, 4:33 pm

Actually, staff should have called security / police MUCH earlier, and certainly not let other pax having to wait because of this.

I guess they were afraid due to her being probably indeed a good customer (in the sense of leaving quite some money with SQ) - but if her, or better said the behaviour from the whole family, was as described - they shouldn't have flown on that day.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Actually, staff should have called security / police MUCH earlier, and certainly not let other pax having to wait because of this.

I guess they were afraid due to her being probably indeed a good customer (in the sense of leaving quite some money with SQ) - but if her, or better said the behaviour from the whole family, was as described - they shouldn't have flown on that day.
I mean, I don't think this was too significant of a problem to be calling the police... so I'd imagine the staff were just trying to de-escalate the problem, and if so, that is good of them.

Either way, in some countries in SEA, it is these sort of people do have a just enough yield of influence to have people comply to their wants, unfortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.