Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SilkAir merged into SQ, takes up SQ regional routes, gets lie-flat business class

SilkAir merged into SQ, takes up SQ regional routes, gets lie-flat business class

Old Jun 18, 18, 12:48 pm

Will we see the MI crew in a kebaya now?
Old Jun 21, 18, 10:42 pm

Programs: ANA (Platinum, SFC) *G, JAL (JALCARD), IHG Platinum Elite
When will this happen? I am flying with silk air in DPS soon and would like them to honour my *G status :/
Old Jun 22, 18, 12:18 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sodaisei View Post
When will this happen? I am flying with silk air in DPS soon and would like them to honour my *G status :/
If "soon" is in geological timeframes, you'll be OK.

If "soon" is in the context of normal human experience, alas, you are out of luck. They are looking at SilkAir being folded into SQ brand from around 2020 onwards, and have reported timeline dependent on when seat manufacturers can deliver the new product. They need to upgrade SIlkAir hardware to SQ standards first.
Old Jun 22, 18, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
If "soon" is in geological timeframes, you'll be OK.

If "soon" is in the context of normal human experience, alas, you are out of luck. They are looking at SilkAir being folded into SQ brand from around 2020 onwards, and have reported timeline dependent on when seat manufacturers can deliver the new product. They need to upgrade SIlkAir hardware to SQ standards first.
That sucks...

I will try asking this elsewhere but:

I am *G with ANA flying DPS - SIN - NRT.

DPS - SIN is marked as SQ 5275 but operated by Silk Air. Departs at 10:25. Then, SIN - NRT on Singapore Airlines departs the next day at 9:25.

I have the hope that being less than 24 hours connection they would let me check my luggage directly to NRT and access the lounge in DPS.

Is this possible?
Old Jun 22, 18, 4:14 am

Programs: Krisflyer
That sucks...

DPS - SIN is marked as SQ 5275 but operated by Silk Air. Departs at 10:25. Then, SIN - NRT on Singapore Airlines departs the next day at 9:25.

I have the hope that being less than 24 hours connection they would let me check my luggage directly to NRT and access the lounge in DPS.

Is this possible?
Most likely you can check through your luggage at DPS to NRT. Unfortunately you will not have lounge access in DPS as Silk Air is not a member of *A. You should have booked an SQ flight which departs an hour later if you want to enjoy your lounge access in DPS..

You will have access to Krisflyer Gold Lounge in T3 SIN.
Old Jun 22, 18, 8:54 pm

Programs: MH, AC, AS
That sucks...

Is this possible?
You can almost certainly check your bags through but I won't hope for lounge access. Doesn't hurt to ask but departing on an MI-operated flight doesn't entitle you to *G benefits -- SQ code or not.
Old Jun 23, 18, 4:24 am

Programs: A3*S, LH, SQ, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Marriot Silver
The lounge in DPS is an absolute and utter disappointment, you won't miss anything. We fly J to and from DPS and could access based on that, but we haven't stepped into the lounge the last 4-5 trips. In SIN you can use the KF Gold Lounge as *G travelling in Eco.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Jun 24, 18, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by demue View Post
The lounge in DPS is an absolute and utter disappointment, you won't miss anything. We fly J to and from DPS and could access based on that, but we haven't stepped into the lounge the last 4-5 trips. In SIN you can use the KF Gold Lounge as *G travelling in Eco.
Good to know, thanx!

Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
You can almost certainly check your bags through but I won't hope for lounge access. Doesn't hurt to ask but departing on an MI-operated flight doesn't entitle you to *G benefits -- SQ code or not.
Thank you!
Old Feb 11, 19, 12:41 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines
SilkAir has chosen the Thompson Vantage seat for the 737 MAX Business Class. Upgrades commence in May 2020.

Carfield likes this.
Old Feb 13, 19, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

For what it's worth, Singapore Airlines has confirmed to Australian Business Traveller that the SilkAir B737 seat will be Thompson's Vantage: https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-a...business-class
Old Feb 14, 19, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by MainlyMiles View Post
SilkAir has chosen the Thompson Vantage seat for the 737 MAX Business Class. Upgrades commence in May 2020.

https://twitter.com/mainly_miles/sta...12082921340928
Originally Posted by djsflynn View Post
For what it's worth, Singapore Airlines has confirmed to Australian Business Traveller that the SilkAir B737 seat will be Thompson's Vantage: https://www.ausbt.com.au/singapore-a...business-class
This is the official press release from SQ
SilkAir Selects Thompson Aero Seating For Flat-Bed Business Class Seat Upgrades

SilkAir Selects Thompson Aero Seating For Flat-Bed Business Class Seat Upgrades

11 February 2019 - Singapore Airlines’ (SIA) regional wing, SilkAir, has selected Thompson Aero Seating for the upgrade of Business Class seats on its Boeing 737 MAX 8 fleet. The upgrades are a part of a significant investment programme that will eventually see SilkAir merged into SIA.

The upgrades will commence in May 2020 and will feature new lie-flat Business Class seats in a forward-facing staggered layout – in line with SIA’s regional Business Class offering on its Airbus A350-900 medium-haul and Boeing 787-10 fleets.

SilkAir currently has five 737 MAX 8s in its fleet with another 32 on order. The new seats will be retrofitted onto aircraft already in the fleet, and installed at the time of arrival in Singapore for aircraft not yet delivered.

Plans for the upgrades were announced in May 2018, as part of a move to more closely align SilkAir’s products and services with those of SIA in preparation for its merger into SIA. The merger will eventually encompass a full re-branding of SilkAir as SIA, with repainting of aircraft and adoption of SIA’s service delivery.

The upgrade programme will also see the installation of new seat-back in-flight entertainment systems in both Business Class and Economy Class. An announcement on the supplier for these systems will be made soon.
Old Nov 7, 19, 1:29 pm

Any update of the time plan of this?
Old Nov 7, 19, 8:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by criced View Post
Any update of the time plan of this?
There are probably some senior executives at SQ who would really love to get their hands on a time machine to reverse the decision to go for an all Boeing 737 (MAX) fleet,

Currently, there are 31 orders of MAXs that are either waiting to be built or occupying several lower level workers' car park spaces in Everett. Given that all 6 of MI's delivered 737MAXs have been moved to ASP for storage, I wouldn't be expecting any great movement on this front anytime soon.

In any case, the new seats were only going to start being rolled out next year. But there seem to be bigger issues now.
Old Nov 8, 19, 12:29 am

The latest update during the results briefing is that they will refit some of the 737-800 NG next year (1st or 2nd quarter). How many we won’t know. And what route they are going to be deploy also not sure. So once refitted, MI will transfer 1 route each time to SQ I think.

And for the 737 MAX, maybe SQ is trying to negotiate to get out of the contract ? I think they might buy Airbus A320/321 Neo instead.
Old Nov 11, 19, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by sbs2716g View Post
The latest update during the results briefing is that they will refit some of the 737-800 NG next year (1st or 2nd quarter). How many we won’t know. And what route they are going to be deploy also not sure. So once refitted, MI will transfer 1 route each time to SQ I think.

And for the 737 MAX, maybe SQ is trying to negotiate to get out of the contract ? I think they might buy Airbus A320/321 Neo instead.
I wonder if there is a website which shows exactly which planes are actually already constructed and waiting delivery in Everett. If SilkAir has a bunch of planes there, I don't think it wouldn't make sense to negotiate out of that contract to replace with A320s, unless the groundings lead to a stop in 737 Max production.

In terms of contract negotiations, it might lead them to push harder for a new set of 777Xs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: