Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SilkAir merged into SQ, takes up SQ regional routes, gets lie-flat business class

SilkAir merged into SQ, takes up SQ regional routes, gets lie-flat business class

Old May 18, 18, 3:47 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SQShortFinal View Post
A route can be a high load route and still have certain flights that experience low load.
Of course they can. And they use smaller aircraft on the historically lighter loaded flights if they have the fleet flexibility.

Not saying this is exactly what SQ will do, but it is fun to speculate . The airline isn't run by complete fools and there are probably several reasons why it makes sense to do this. Having smaller capacity aircraft operating under the SQ brand makes them more nimble, and could be one of those reasons. HAN is a great example, one flight on 737 and one on 330, in the future both will be SQ flights.
Old May 18, 18, 4:15 am

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Originally Posted by lokijuh
I
Not saying this is exactly what SQ will do, but it is fun to speculate . The airline isn't run by complete fools and there are probably several reasons why it makes sense to do this. Having smaller capacity aircraft operating under the SQ brand makes them more nimble, and could be one of those reasons. HAN is a great example, one flight on 737 and one on 330, in the future both will be SQ flights.
I still don't really get your approach. If they pull a 737 off a light MI route, then put it on a light SQ route, on the flip side, you'd end up putting a SQ 777/330 on an even lighter MI route, which makes no financial sense.
Old May 18, 18, 6:17 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
Didn't mean CGK, DPS or SUB, but maybe places like Manado, Makassar etc. I noticed they've just moved Pekanbaru across to Scoot from Silkair.
My bet, SUB will be downgraded to both flight served by MI.
DPS may still see mix fleet.
CGK will definitely unchanged
The rest of smaller cities (KNO, SRG, BDO, PKU, PLG, LOP, UPG, MDC, BPN, JOG) will still be served by MI.

Also RGN may go back to all MI. HAN may also be downgraded to both MI.

Perhaps KUL will be another all MI destination

Actually the winner is *A
​​

Last edited by lingua101; May 18, 18 at 6:23 am
Old May 18, 18, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by SQShortFinal View Post
Ok, let's go with your scenario of Saturday afternoon loads are usually light compared to other days. How does this downgauging play out? You're saying the 777s or A330s on near regional routes are swapped on Saturday afternoons and replaced by 737s. But then what about the other side of the coin? Those 777s and A330s you just swapped out, would they then be put on MI destinations like Danang, Manado and Siem Reap?
It may be true on one direction but may not be true on the return direction.

I was on SQ963 on Sunday with less than 100 people (or even less than 50) in economy. I saw the incoming flight was quite full.
Old May 18, 18, 6:28 am

​​​​HAN is a great example, one flight on 737 and one on 330, in the future both will be SQ flights.
I bet the other way around. HAN was both SQ flights before later flight was downgraded to MI.

My assumption they need to keep SQ flight on the morning flight due to connecting from European flight. So need to maintain this as *A, just like SUB.

So if MI merged into SQ, they can pass both flight to MI, maybe add the third flight ?

Vietnam route I guess it is tight margin as there are quite some budgets airlines there.
Old May 18, 18, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA/US ExPlat & 1.05MM, AF C2K, UA dirt
Didn't mean CGK, DPS or SUB, but maybe places like Manado, Makassar etc. I noticed they've just moved Pekanbaru across to Scoot from Silkair.
There is a lot of money to be made out of MDC (Manado) as there are a lot of diving operators in North Sulawesi (read: Lembeh Strait, and liveaboards), and the non-stop SIN-MDC is far, far, far preferable to taking GA via CGK. It also helped that QR interlined all of the diving equipment to MI.

Now, if only there could be a direct SIN-AMQ, but that may be a bit of a reach.

As for the Philippines, I'm fairly certain that CEB will remain, but since the Philippine government has restricted access to Boracay, KLO may be suspended. But, MI also currently flies SIN-DVO-CEB.
Old May 18, 18, 3:50 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Offical news release:

http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/au/media-centre/press-release/article/?q=en_UK/2018/April-June/ne1718-180518
Old May 18, 18, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat
So is SQ going to benefit from increased *A codeshares to the regional routes of MI?
Old May 18, 18, 8:12 pm

I agree with many of the comment here. Here's my two cents worth (which includes a number of which include prior comments)
There are probably multiple ideas floating around that led to this decision
First, bringing everything under one brand makes sense. Running two separate airlines that were supposed to be the same, doesn't make sense. Silkair has been a thorn for many a *A frequent flyer and this allows SQ a chance to retake the high road on service/product.
Second, differentiating budget from full service The merging of Scoot and Tiger meant that they now have have a large budget fleet, and there is a risk that people lump SIlkair with the budget option. And given it is more expensive (as a full service option) people would get disappointed if they expect SQ level service/product for the price, or they might be confused as to why it is more expensive.
Third and most out there. The arrival of high speed rail will be a game changer. There were numerous reports that Kuala Lumpur - Singapore was the busiest air route in the world. I suspect that SQ realises that when this route comes online (supposedly in 2026) they will see a precipitous drop in the number of passengers who would prefer the ease of the high speed rail. Rather than fight it with it's full service flights,it seems more likely that SQ will use its budget arm to compete. There will always be passengers who are sensitive to price, so they would use budget.
I think the timing also matters here. Most of the time, (Correct me if I'm wrong), when carriers make these kind of announcements, the rebranding starts immediately. In SQ's case, they are saying they will start in 2020. What does that say? It says to me that they haven't fully committed to the timing yet. It seems convenient that the rebranding will start taking place in 2020, when it will take a couple of years to refit their planes, maybe 3-4 years. And then ... HSR is almost upon us.
Old May 19, 18, 5:18 pm

Programs: KF, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
I agree with many of the comment here. Here's my two cents worth (which includes a number of which include prior comments)
There are probably multiple ideas floating around that led to this decision
First, bringing everything under one brand makes sense. Running two separate airlines that were supposed to be the same, doesn't make sense. Silkair has been a thorn for many a *A frequent flyer and this allows SQ a chance to retake the high road on service/product.
Second, differentiating budget from full service The merging of Scoot and Tiger meant that they now have have a large budget fleet, and there is a risk that people lump SIlkair with the budget option. And given it is more expensive (as a full service option) people would get disappointed if they expect SQ level service/product for the price, or they might be confused as to why it is more expensive.
Third and most out there. The arrival of high speed rail will be a game changer. There were numerous reports that Kuala Lumpur - Singapore was the busiest air route in the world. I suspect that SQ realises that when this route comes online (supposedly in 2026) they will see a precipitous drop in the number of passengers who would prefer the ease of the high speed rail. Rather than fight it with it's full service flights,it seems more likely that SQ will use its budget arm to compete. There will always be passengers who are sensitive to price, so they would use budget.
I think the timing also matters here. Most of the time, (Correct me if I'm wrong), when carriers make these kind of announcements, the rebranding starts immediately. In SQ's case, they are saying they will start in 2020. What does that say? It says to me that they haven't fully committed to the timing yet. It seems convenient that the rebranding will start taking place in 2020, when it will take a couple of years to refit their planes, maybe 3-4 years. And then ... HSR is almost upon us.
Am pretty sure ĎSilk airí being a thorn for *Alliance customers was not what prompted SQ to ditch SilkAir brand. If they were so concerned about *Alliance customers, they can do more practically useful things like making Krisflyer gold lounge better and getting the online redemption setup faster (half of *alliance redemption options still not available on Krisflyer website).

The main reason is, if half the frequent flyers had the habit of reading annual reports or research reports would have read - could have easily found, to reduce costs. Currently they have 2 marketing budgets, 2 teams working on everything from crew uniform etc which can be merged.

At the same time, they donít want to dilute the brand by rebranding poor hard products as SQ, which is why they have delayed the rebranding. It has nothing to do with the high speed train.

Tbh, SG is missing a trick by not extending the high speed train to Changi. Imagine if they did that, people flying to and from Malaysia would prefer to board or land at Changi and take the train to KL. That way they can avoid the poor customer service of MH and the crap lounges at KL.
Old May 19, 18, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by spk307 View Post

Am pretty sure ‘Silk air’ being a thorn for *Alliance customers was not what prompted SQ to ditch SilkAir brand. If they were so concerned about *Alliance customers, they can do more practically useful things like making Krisflyer gold lounge better and getting the online redemption setup faster (half of *alliance redemption options still not available on Krisflyer website).

The main reason is, if half the frequent flyers had the habit of reading annual reports or research reports would have read - could have easily found, to reduce costs. Currently they have 2 marketing budgets, 2 teams working on everything from crew uniform etc which can be merged.

At the same time, they don’t want to dilute the brand by rebranding poor hard products as SQ, which is why they have delayed the rebranding. It has nothing to do with the high speed train.

Tbh, SG is missing a trick by not extending the high speed train to Changi. Imagine if they did that, people flying to and from Malaysia would prefer to board or land at Changi and take the train to KL. That way they can avoid the poor customer service of MH and the crap lounges at KL.
I doubt any ff will really bother to read the financial report. If they are, must be minority, unless they are SQ shareholders.

I don't think High Speed Train is matter for SQ. Seriously with the change of regime, many people is betting that this project may be delayed or even scrapped.

Without the HST, in fact many Malaysian did indeed fly via SIN and you notice sometimes it is cheaper to fly ex KUL compare ex SIN on SQ especially on PE.

Currently there is only 3 SQ flights (1 on weekend) between SIN and KUL, with the rest of flights are MI flight.

This definitely a big hindrance if you are *A and limit the connection US on weekend. Luckily TG does not fly to US.

If now MI is merged into SQ, then as *A you can take any flights. This is also why I am betting KUL will become all narrow body destination probably with increase frequencies

Last edited by lingua101; May 19, 18 at 7:27 pm
Old May 19, 18, 8:28 pm

Programs: KF*G, A3*G, Skywards
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
If now MI is merged into SQ, then as *A you can take any flights. This is also why I am betting KUL will become all narrow body destination probably with increase frequencies
Even with the merger, Who knows, SQ may continue to annoy *A flyers if they choose to transfer KUL routes to Scoot, just like how some current MI routes are now TR operated.
Old May 19, 18, 10:11 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lingua101 View Post
My bet, SUB will be downgraded to both flight served by MI.
DPS may still see mix fleet.
CGK will definitely unchanged
The rest of smaller cities (KNO, SRG, BDO, PKU, PLG, LOP, UPG, MDC, BPN, JOG) will still be served by MI.
​​
Well you can eliminate PKU from that list well before 2020 ... (along with LGK & KLO) ... Scoot to Take Over SilkAir's Langkawi, Pekanbaru and Kalibo Services

I would not at all be surprised to see other routes go the same way eventually, depending on market dynamics over the next 2-3 years.
Old May 19, 18, 10:47 pm

Well you can eliminate PKU from that list well before 2020 ... (along with LGK & KLO) ... Scoot to Take Over SilkAir's Langkawi, Pekanbaru and Kalibo Services

I would not at all be surprised to see other routes go the same way eventually, depending on market dynamics over the next 2-3 years.
Yeah forget that. I think those Indo non core market may end up with TR. Other than PKU, I think even LOP may end up with TR
Old May 19, 18, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by yewgene View Post

Even with the merger, Who knows, SQ may continue to annoy *A flyers if they choose to transfer KUL routes to Scoot, just like how some current MI routes are now TR operated.
Well I do not know what SQ management is thinking. I were them I won't transfer all. There must be right balance for those have inward connection to other destinations target SQ target.

KUL is interesting destination in my opinion. It is so short, and most people really do not care which aircraft is being used. After all there will be no real service that you can experienced.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: