Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Free WiFi for suites, first, business, and PPS member....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:14 am
Original Poster

Received this email today...right direction but I’m not sure how far 30mb will get you though.

Might still be handy if you are a PPS member traveling in PE and Y. However to me this shows that there’s still no plans to charge lower prices like Emirates.

——

Complimentary in-flight WiFi for PPS Club Members

From today, all customers travelling in premium classes on Singapore Airlines A380, A350 and Boeing 777-300ER aircraft will enjoy complimentary WiFi. First Class and Suites customers will receive 100MB of WiFi while Business Class customers will 30MB of WiFi.

As an exclusive benefit for PPS Club members, you will enjoy complimentary 30MB of WiFi when travelling in Economy or Premium Economy Class on these aircraft.

To enjoy the free WiFi offering, you will only need to provide your last name and seat number via the ‘Complimentary Access’ section of the WiFi portal onboard. More details are available on the seat-back cards onboard the aircraft.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Mlee888
Received this email today...right direction but I’m not sure how far 30mb will get you though.

Might still be handy if you are a PPS member traveling in PE and Y. However to me this shows that there’s still no plans to charge lower prices like Emirates.

——

Complimentary in-flight WiFi for PPS Club Members

From today, all customers travelling in premium classes on Singapore Airlines A380, A350 and Boeing 777-300ER aircraft will enjoy complimentary WiFi. First Class and Suites customers will receive 100MB of WiFi while Business Class customers will 30MB of WiFi.

As an exclusive benefit for PPS Club members, you will enjoy complimentary 30MB of WiFi when travelling in Economy or Premium Economy Class on these aircraft.

To enjoy the free WiFi offering, you will only need to provide your last name and seat number via the ‘Complimentary Access’ section of the WiFi portal onboard. More details are available on the seat-back cards onboard the aircraft.
That should get you from your gate to the runway.

Yeah yeah I know, you’ll have to get to 10,000 feet first....
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:28 pm

Programs: SQ KF Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat
What happens when the 30mb runs out? Will you get cut off?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: SQ KrisFlyer Elite Gold
Is there also free WiFi when the system is based on time rather than data usage?
Old Feb 14, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL/ VS Gold. Former: UA 1K (10 years+) , EY partners Plat, SQ PPS Club, SU Gold, LH SEN/HON
Originally Posted by elleana
What happens when the 30mb runs out? Will you get cut off?
Yes you do get cut off. Currently there is option to extend also, via payment. Sometimes the portal doesn't work ( panasonic) but its nice to have anyway.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
For 30MB it would be useful for some FB/Viber messages just before landing if I'm meeting someone to pick me up I guess
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
For 30MB it would be useful for some FB/Viber messages just before landing if I'm meeting someone to pick me up I guess
That would be the intention.

With the way some responses are worded here, do people expect enough free data to stream 4k video for a few hours?

Some people are just too hard to please.

Regardless, SIA internet is reportedly slow anyways. This will just make it slower, unless they increase their link speed to the aircraft.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by davidj1
That would be the intention.

With the way some responses are worded here, do people expect enough free data to stream 4k video for a few hours?
Are you defending SQ's Wifi speeds & pricing. No one says it has to be free (and nothing ever is) - but data caps in this day are absurd because your phones & laptops are doing all kinds of downloads/syncing in the background without telling you.

SQ has one of the best products/services around which is let down by it's crappy metered Wifi service.

And everybody would like a time based pricing model - that's something that ordinary people can measure - how would I know if my iPad has used 23 MB or 12 MB of data and how much of that data has been due to a spotty connection (mainly service provider's fault). They can block streaming video there sure but make it time based - that's how most other airlines do it... and it works perfectly well.
davidj1 and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:20 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
Was on B777 from HND to SIN and A388 from PVG to SIN, and tried the complimentary wifi. Using it to send messages via whatsapps is still ok, But if you do have pictures to send across or receive via whatapps, it takes incredibly a long time to do so.

I made the mistake to check out the speed of the loading postings in FB and before I know it, it was reaching the 30MB complimentary mark.

In addition, sometimes, you will "lose" connection when it is flying over areas where there is restricted internet connection and this can be seen when the "Switch Off Phone" sign is illuminated.

In general, it is good manner for keeping in touch via the various messaging apps (e.g. whatsapps, LINE) but it can be very slow when surfing the internet. The welcome page will show the amount available by doing a refresh of the page. Also, there is a link to "pause" or "resume" the internet connection, if you would want to manage the amount to be used throughout the flight.

Overall, this is a good move for SQ to provide such complimentary wifi service and hope that they can extend this service to all aircraft type, as well as to enhance the internet speed.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by hclee01
Was on B777 from HND to SIN and A388 from PVG to SIN, and tried the complimentary wifi. Using it to send messages via whatsapps is still ok, But if you do have pictures to send across or receive via whatapps, it takes incredibly a long time to do so.

I made the mistake to check out the speed of the loading postings in FB and before I know it, it was reaching the 30MB complimentary mark.
I sent a few messages and an email and my 30mb was gone - I am guessing my phone was trying to update and App in the background, since it was connected to wifi, and it ate up all my allotment. I will definitely use my laptop next time rather than my phone.

Given that all the purchase options were based on data volume and not time, I decided not to push my luck.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Sounds like EK complementary wifi (20Mb, 2 hrs). Useful for downloading email headers, imessage, what's app , and doing text responses to emails. Just make sure automatic and background updates are turned off ....
Old Feb 19, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by dcmike
I will definitely use my laptop next time rather than my phone.
Your laptop will probably do all sorts of background downloads and windows updates as well, though.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Apparently Suites and First get 100 MB instead of 30 MB, and the FA told me it was per sector and not per ticket which it nice.

Posted from somewhere in the air.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: SQ/CX
If you use laptop, the moment you are connected to the internet, Anti Virus definitions update will run automatically, windows update checks and will download automatically (by default) and all other background apps you may have will start eating up the data.
Such as automatic sign in of chat apps. Your 30mb will be gone before you could launch the Internet browser or E-Mail client
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
Apparently Suites and First get 100 MB instead of 30 MB, and the FA told me it was per sector and not per ticket which it nice.
​​​​​​​I can confirm 100 mb in Suites. Barely used any data SIN-HKG. Running video would eat that up pretty fast, but for simple web browsing 100 mb is not bad.

Originally Posted by koohansen
If you use laptop, the moment you are connected to the internet, Anti Virus definitions update will run automatically, windows update checks and will download automatically (by default) and all other background apps you may have will start eating up the data.
If you run Windows, sure.

If you run an Apple OS, not an issue.
tomwhom likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.