Overheating cabin at Sin SQ960

Old May 12, 2018, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GA PLAT, SQ Gold
Overheating cabin at Sin SQ960

fflight was boarded with no ac , the cabin was extremely hot , no water served , cabin crew seemed to think was completely acceptable , telling passenger ac will work when engine is turned on

gate staff not being truthful saying that ac was working in the y cabin so y passengers should board first , I guess so they could get someone to board

all in all its a very poor show by sq - the crew seems clueless as to what to do

Its a very poor show indeed
Old May 12, 2018, 3:48 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Seems the norm for not only SQ .
How was it when you flew other airlines ?
At least on SQ , they do turn on the AC once the AC engines get going . Did you ask for cold towels like I do ( in J or F ) ?
I do not do heat or humidity well ..
Old May 13, 2018, 3:50 am

Programs: Accor Plus Plat, Marriot Plat, AF Silver
Originally Posted by walkingtall
flight was boarded with no ac , the cabin was extremely hot
I had the same experience multiple times on SIN => HKG SQ flights in economy.

It would appear that they bring up the temperature so that they do not have to distribute blankets on short flights to save time/money...?
That's the feedback I got from a FA who especially demanded to remain anonymous quoting him/her on that.

Julien
Old May 13, 2018, 5:31 am

That could be a probable reason on SIN-CGK flights but on SIN-HKG flights, blankets are already pre-set on all economy seats.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
fflight was boarded with no ac , the cabin was extremely hot , no water served , cabin crew seemed to think was completely acceptable , telling passenger ac will work when engine is turned on
gate staff not being truthful saying that ac was working in the y cabin so y passengers should board first , I guess so they could get someone to board

Sounds like the APU was inoperative and they needed to use the Ground Power Unit. From what I hear/understand, the GPU does not generate sufficient power for both aircraft systems and air conditioning, so it might appear that the AC was rather weak (likely this is why dedicated air conditioning units are used during aircraft static displays at air shows). Once the engines have started and the aircraft has taken off, the AC would then be more effective in cooling the aircraft.
lokijuh likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by tango3
Sounds like the APU was inoperative and they needed to use the Ground Power Unit. From what I hear/understand, the GPU does not generate sufficient power for both aircraft systems and air conditioning, so it might appear that the AC was rather weak (likely this is why dedicated air conditioning units are used during aircraft static displays at air shows). Once the engines have started and the aircraft has taken off, the AC would then be more effective in cooling the aircraft.
I thought there was also a connection for ground air con via the big yellow hose.
Old May 14, 2018, 5:09 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, SQ Krisflyer
Originally Posted by nzkarit
I thought there was also a connection for ground air con via the big yellow hose.
You're right, those big yellow flexible hoses would be the aircon connectors. I think they arent that common in Changi, though I do remember seeing them in KUL & BKK (Somehow recall BKK prohibits the extended use of the APU so the aerobridge has both AC and ground power connections).
Old May 14, 2018, 5:26 am

all in all its a very poor show by sq - the crew seems clueless as to what to do

Its a very poor show indeed
Had a similar issue on board a flight to Mumbai recently, there was a problem with the power unit though. The cabin was very hot and flight was delayed by an hour, the captain did say the AC will kick in once the engines are on. Was offered a hot towel....needless to say sitting on tarmac in SG is not ideal for a hot towel.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
GPU and ground air conditioning isn't always available - may be a shortage or breakage. It could happen to anyone, not just SQ.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.