Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Singapore Hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2003, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Which Singapore Hotel?

Staying 2 nights on a stopover back from DPS.
In pricing out some options, which hotel would you stay at based on all factors- location, value, etc.
Prices listed are from Expedia in $USD for a regular double room (not a suite or club level).

Marriott (priceline rate)- $55 or $60
Le Meridien- $90
Raffles the Plaza- $113
Swissotel Stamford- $104
Conrad Centennial- $119
Inter-Continental- $107
Four Seasons- $231
Pan Pacific- $127
Ritz Carlton- $155

Old Dec 21, 2003, 2:00 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dave_261:
Staying 2 nights on a stopover back from DPS.
In pricing out some options, which hotel would you stay at based on all factors- location, value, etc.
Prices listed are from Expedia in $USD for a regular double room (not a suite or club level).

Marriott (priceline rate)- $55 or $60
Le Meridien- $90
Raffles the Plaza- $113
Swissotel Stamford- $104
Conrad Centennial- $119
Inter-Continental- $107
Four Seasons- $231
Pan Pacific- $127
Ritz Carlton- $155

</font>

Great deal at the Ritz and the clear winner at that price
Old Dec 21, 2003, 6:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I say go for the Marriott for that price and you can't go wrong. Less than half the Ritz rate? Wouldn't take me long to decide...

[This message has been edited by tcook052 (edited Dec 21, 2003).]
Old Dec 21, 2003, 6:08 pm
In Memoriam

Location: Grand Rapids, MI USA UA 1K, AA EXP 1MM, SQ PPS, BA GOLD, Hyatt D, Hertz Plat and AMEX Cent
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tcook052:
I say go for the Marriott for that price and you can't go wrong. Less than half the Ritz rate? Wouldn't take me long to decide...

</font>
Price vs quality - rather easy call I should think.

you can choose a mediocre and average hotel for a low rate or a genuinely top flight hotel for a proportionally lower rate. Is this hard?
Old Dec 22, 2003, 5:01 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
I would add that you might also get the Conrad Centennial at $55 through Priceline (Marina Zone as opposed to Orchard Road zone), though less bidding history makes it less of a cert than the Marriott.

How would the Conrad compare, and would this change the top choice?

Depending on CC charges you might want to bid on www.priceline.com.sg - there appears to be no minimum bid here whereas $55 is the minimum allowed for a 5* on PL.com, and the new zoning in SG gives two free rebids so you could try lower.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 6:07 am

The Conrad has been giding for a while on PL. I would stick with the Marriott for USD55. Can't beat that for value.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Conrad is a better choice than the Marriott. Bit, I think BWatson is right - go for the Ritz instead - it's a great price for a good hotel.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 2:21 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
I got the Swissotel for $61 via Priceline - Marina 4*.

The RItz is very nice - go for it. Make sure to check if they have any club packages - I paid about $150 for club floor room last time.
Old Dec 22, 2003, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B Watson:
Price vs quality - rather easy call I should think.

you can choose a mediocre and average hotel for a low rate or a genuinely top flight hotel for a proportionally lower rate. Is this hard?
</font>

I found the Marriott SIN to be far from mediocre or average. I would trade 3 nights there for roughly what it would cost for one night at the Ritz. But that's just me.
Old Dec 23, 2003, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum88/HTML/001138.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/007807.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...ML/000176.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum88/HTML/000940.html

I stayed at the Marriott last month and thought that it was quite nice.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 8:10 am

Stayed at the IC in October, 3 nights. Was very pleased. Located (direct access) next to a big shopping center with a subway station. Fast connection to Orchard Road and the airport.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 3:19 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
If budget is not an issue... I would go with a Suite at the Raffles or at the Ritz Carlton.

Other good options are the Four Seasons, and the Mandarin. Some great deals are usually to be found at the Conrad, and the Sheraton Towers is also a great place to stay. Status in hotel programs (for the chains that offer them) also tend to go a long way in SIN.
Old Dec 28, 2003, 3:46 pm
In Memoriam

I think we have run this out here on the SQ board - I will move it to the Lux hotel board with the idea that it may get more hits.

B Watson
Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:47 am

Programs: SQ KF Gold
Red face Swissotel the Stamford vs Raffles the Plaza

Dear all,

Thought I'd bump this thread up (so as not to be too off-topic ). Also many apologies for the crosspost (the original posting is here), as I'm hoping to finalise travel plans before the discounted SQ boarding pass rooms sell out... (hopefully this further reference to SQ will justify the presence of this posting )

Anyway here's my question: I am planning a special weekend with my better half and am trying to decide between one of the Stamford Crest suites at Swissotel the Stamford, and a suite at the sister hotel Raffles The Plaza.

Does anybody have experience with both these hotels? How do they compare? Suggestions for alternative venues would also be welcome, although those two are my current preferred choices, as they are central and have ready access to the MRT subway system.

Many thanks in advance, and many DOM-flavoured apologies if this is somewhat off-topic...
DoctorWu
Old Jul 7, 2006, 4:00 am

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by DoctorWu
Dear all,

Thought I'd bump this thread up (so as not to be too off-topic ). Also many apologies for the crosspost (the original posting is here), as I'm hoping to finalise travel plans before the discounted SQ boarding pass rooms sell out... (hopefully this further reference to SQ will justify the presence of this posting )

Anyway here's my question: I am planning a special weekend with my better half and am trying to decide between one of the Stamford Crest suites at Swissotel the Stamford, and a suite at the sister hotel Raffles The Plaza.

Does anybody have experience with both these hotels? How do they compare? Suggestions for alternative venues would also be welcome, although those two are my current preferred choices, as they are central and have ready access to the MRT subway system.

Many thanks in advance, and many DOM-flavoured apologies if this is somewhat off-topic...
DoctorWu
Has anyone actually been able to use those SP BP room rates at all??

When staying by yourself, it doesn't appear to give one any savings - does it?

Any tips??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.