Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A350-900 ULR Singapore Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:47 pm

What’s the configuration for PEY and is it going to be better than the regular A350.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by Benn18
What’s the configuration for PEY and is it going to be better than the regular A350.
The aircraft is exactly the same as the regular A350 albeit with slightly modified fuel tanks and weight specs (to cater for increased fuel weight).

If SIA change the seat configuration it will be because they want to, and possibly due to weight management, not because its a 'new' aircraft.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
Keep it, given that the SIN-JFK direct will only have J and PEY seats, they can't lose the F and Y capacity.
They've announced it's JFK and not EWR, or are you just assuming this?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by xchpstang
They've announced it's JFK and not EWR, or are you just assuming this?
They haven't announced it, I must have entered JFK instead of NYC on habit as a response to the question posted. It could very well be EWR as a nod to the previous incarnation of this direct flight (and EWR is a United hub).
Old May 2, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by davidj1
Great strides being taken in aviation.

However am I the only one thinking we need to pull back the focus solely on range and start considering speed again? Like the Concorde?

People here and others are horrified at the though of spending 18+ hours in an aircraft non-stop, when they really don't need to if speed was increased.

There is a myriad of other advantages, say if a 15 hour flight was reduced down to less than 10 hours. For example, ROI per aircraft would increase (from running more sectors), less staffing costs per flight, potentially lower catering requirements etc. I don't think fuel burn would decrease unless new tech comes into play.
None of the current technologies allow a profitable flight with speeds greater than Mach 1.
Speed is good but useless if it results in losses. The demand for Concorde was poor as price was double the normal business class fares. And was incurring losses even then.
Economics still trumps science.
KiwiSurfer likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by spk307

None of the current technologies allow a profitable flight with speeds greater than Mach 1.
Speed is good but useless if it results in losses. The demand for Concorde was poor as price was double the normal business class fares. And was incurring losses even then.
Economics still trumps science.
Wonder if the value of speedy flights has reduced as well in the corporate sector. If paying external parties by the hour for travel time then yes - almost certainly speedier is better. But if it's a regular salaried middle or senior management - who is not getting paid any extra for being on flight - maybe not. Furthermore, 20 years ago - get on a plane and be out of the loop for x hours and unproductive. Today a flight can be just another place to work remotely. A laptop or tablet to do some "wprk" - often a wifi connection to keep in touch. .... Except in Y where your laptop screen has been crushed by an overzealous recliner, but that's a different market anyway .....
Old May 3, 2018, 4:42 am

Well the one of the biggest plane speed improvements is at the Airport.

They have talked about trying to shave an hour off the Trans Tasman airport door to airport by doing all the border at one end rather than half at each end. Most likely all in NZ as the Aussie carries what the flights domestic at the Aussie end as there is a lot more swapping of planes between domestic and internation duty.

If the US staffed the TSA properly and had enough machines they could get wait times for all <10min oppose to better give your self an hour or more to be safe, Then people could arrive at the airport later, so spending more time with family, on holiday or an extra hour at the office before going to the airport.

There is an hour saved on the flight without having to change the planes.
KiwiSurfer and royng like this.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Wonder if the value of speedy flights has reduced as well in the corporate sector. If paying external parties by the hour for travel time then yes - almost certainly speedier is better. But if it's a regular salaried middle or senior management - who is not getting paid any extra for being on flight - maybe not. Furthermore, 20 years ago - get on a plane and be out of the loop for x hours and unproductive. Today a flight can be just another place to work remotely. A laptop or tablet to do some "wprk" - often a wifi connection to keep in touch. .... Except in Y where your laptop screen has been crushed by an overzealous recliner, but that's a different market anyway .....
one doesn’t need to get into philosophical conversations on this topic. Doesn’t matter the time saved, as long as fuel cost of supersonic is multiple times the normal flight cost, corporates will ignore speed.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I took the previous flight EWR-SIN once. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. Nearly 20 hours in complete darkness with nothing to do And that was in J. I felt for the poor people behind me. I’d much rather break up a trip somewhere.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:58 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
I liked the all J to EWR .
Not sure about this AC though .
Do not even like A350 SL .. dislike it when there is no metal choice on routes
Prefer BOEING with the nice windows
Old May 14, 2018, 9:17 am

Hi all! I've taken the previous iteration, and loved it for business travel (plus I like to jut get it over with).

Having done some web searching to no effect, does anyone know when it will start? Because I have an October trip to Singapore I am currently planning...

Thanks!
Old May 14, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by johnhbriggs
Hi all! I've taken the previous iteration, and loved it for business travel (plus I like to jut get it over with).

Having done some web searching to no effect, does anyone know when it will start? Because I have an October trip to Singapore I am currently planning...

Thanks!
About the most I've seen of this was that SQ was expected to take delivery in August of this year.
Old May 15, 2018, 4:34 am

Thanks Steve. I;d love to hold off that long to plan, but don't think I can wait. Next year I guess!
Old May 30, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...ct-11-10288258

Oct 11 boys and girls!
Old May 30, 2018, 6:08 am

Ewr-sin

What was the timing of it previously? Ex-ewr seems weird (10am-5pm)
Ex-sin matches sq26, midnight-6am (which makes you wonder what's going to happen to sq26?)

Before, ex-ewr was midnight-6am (sq21)
Ex-sin was 10am-6pm(sq22)

Last edited by paperwastage; May 30, 2018 at 6:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.