SQ vs KE in F

Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
SQ vs KE in F

I’m trying to use my mileage redemptions to get back to the states from Hong Kong. I don’t want to take Cathay Pacific because I’ve taken them enough in F. So I decided I was going to take KE or SQ. I have already flown on Singapore before, including the A380. Obviously SQ was amazing, and I love the staff and offerings. The availability I have found is on the SQ 777 FWIW. I have found saver award availability from HKG-US on both carriers in F, and I can’t decide which is better. Is there anything particular about this route that is special to either carrier? Otherwise I think I’ll just try KE, especially since they fly directly to SEA where I need to be.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:17 am

I was in this predicament a while ago. While I wanted to experience ke for me didn't want to take the chance in economy baoni stuck to SQ .Can't speak for other classes.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SQ is considerably better, especially the service. Really no comparison.

Also, the ICN transfer in the new T2 is not particularly pleasant. And the KE F lounge is sub-par.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the Korean air will get me directly to Seattle where I have to be, while if I do the Singapore I’ll have to overnight in San Francisco. But if it’s really that much better I might switch. I already booked the KE so it would be a 3k mike penalty.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
SQ is considerably better, especially the service. Really no comparison.

Also, the ICN transfer in the new T2 is not particularly pleasant. And the KE F lounge is sub-par.
Have to agree completely with this statement. It's not close. For the record, I enjoy KE. Especially the 747-8 which is a great seat with plenty of room. Fortunately the lights are out most of the time so you don't have to see the green color scheme (ugh). The A380 F is a step down privacy wise but also not bad (to be avoided in J however).

I also mainly fly to China so KE is relatively convenient from the US and their regional F is often lie-flat (they appear to use their older long haul equipment on some regional routes). Compared to US carriers, I'd absolutely take KE and would be happy about it. But compared to SQ, its miles apart in terms of service, experience, seat quality, IFE, food, language abilities. KE is also behind JL and NH. I would put them ahead of the Chinese carriers. I will say the KE flight attendants have always been super nice which is a saving grace. They just don't always know what they're doing.

Again, if the route is convenient, its perfectly fine. But if you have the option to fly SQ or CX, just do that. Now, if you were saying you wanted to try out JL or NH an the routing was better, I'd say go for it.

I did see that you're only seeing 777 availability on SQ. That's still going to be miles better. If it were suites, I'd tell you you're nuts to even consider KE.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
Korean air will get me directly to Seattle where I have to be, while if I do the Singapore I’ll have to overnight in San Francisco.
Which KE F product? If Kosmo 2.0 suite, that's a nice hard product. Whether SQ would be worth an extra overnight at SFO is really a personal call.

Originally Posted by th14
I will say the KE flight attendants have always been super nice which is a saving grace. They just don't always know what they're doing.
Agreed. Well meaning, but much less polished and professional.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:20 am
Original Poster

I was really shocked at the terrible feedback I got about KE F. Since it’s virtually always available to redeem, KE J apex suites are probably on par with their F, and SQ F awards are harder to come by, I decided to go with SQ. This SQ flight also has the new F on the 777. So I decided to go with SQ. Now I just need some advice on BTC out of HKG.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:55 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
KE 380 F ... it's a lovely product, almost identical to TG A380 F ... I like the light, airy ambience with a touch of light blue but you will forgo the privacy of SQ's A380 suites. KE's korean option is good (though I do like SQ's japanese option as well). KE has their sky bar / lounge where you can chat/mingle with other people whilst the crew makes you a nice cocktail.

But if you haven't tried it, then why not? You can give it a go and make your own assessment. Personally, where possible, I will fly F on any A380 before any other non-A380 type - even if its a top tier airline like SQ
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanslegal
KE 380 F ... it's a lovely product, almost identical to TG A380 F ... I like the light, airy ambience with a touch of light blue but you will forgo the privacy of SQ's A380 suites. KE's korean option is good (though I do like SQ's japanese option as well). KE has their sky bar / lounge where you can chat/mingle with other people whilst the crew makes you a nice cocktail.

But if you haven't tried it, then why not? You can give it a go and make your own assessment. Personally, where possible, I will fly F on any A380 before any other non-A380 type - even if its a top tier airline like SQ
actually I was told that the 777 on KE is better because you have a better chance of getting the Kosmo 2.0 suite with a door. Whereas the A380’s all have the suites without doors. In addition i have family in Seattle, so normally I will fly into there if a carrier flies there like KE does or EVA.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
If I could book the 747 Kosmo Suite 2.0 on KE then I would like my inner plane geek choose it given how rare it is to fly this type of aircraft (this would involve flying ICN-SFO instead of straight to SEA). Though I generally agree with SQ having better service and food in F vs. KE (personal preference).
Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:40 am
Original Poster

A blogger told me booking to Seattle was better than LA because I had a chance at the Kosmo 2.0 suite since Seattle is serviced by a 777-300 and they put the Kosmo 2.0 on a lot of those planes. Whereas with the A380 you’re guaranteed to get the regular Kosmo suite without a door.

In fact the reservation I had was a Kosmo 2.0. But in the end I figure I can book KE anytime I want, whereas SQ F awards are so hard to come by I might as well just take the SQ flight. Especially with the new first class on the HKG-SFO route on their 777, so that is what I ended up doing.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 8:45 am

Programs: DL DM, UA MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Plat, Hilton Diamond
A blogger told me booking to Seattle was better than LA because I had a chance at the Kosmo 2.0 suite since Seattle is serviced by a 777-300 and they put the Kosmo 2.0 on a lot of those planes. Whereas with the A380 you’re guaranteed to get the regular Kosmo suite without a door.

In fact the reservation I had was a Kosmo 2.0. But in the end I figure I can book KE anytime I want, whereas SQ F awards are so hard to come by I might as well just take the SQ flight. Especially with the new first class on the HKG-SFO route on their 777, so that is what I ended up doing.
I have not looked at the routes to the west coast that carefully so can't confirm. But the blogger is right on the equipment. The 747-8 definitely has the new Kosmo 2 and I thought most of the 777's have the Kosmo 2 suite. Both are better than the A380 seat.

Tbf to the other commentator, he may have been referring to the A380 being a better plane overall. But the A380 has last generation hard product.

I do not mean to malign the KE product at all so apologies if I sounded overly negative. I would say its good. Just imo, SQ is that much better. The 6 seats in the nose of the 747-8 is a lot of fun. But I would still (and do) pick SQ whenever I have the choice.

Have a good trip and let us know what you think of the new F in the 777.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:09 pm

I was really shocked at the terrible feedback I got about KE F. Since it’s virtually always available to redeem, KE J apex suites are probably on par with their F, and SQ F awards are harder to come by, I decided to go with SQ. This SQ flight also has the new F on the 777. So I decided to go with SQ. Now I just need some advice on BTC out of HKG.
Just curious, how do you know which SQ 777 flights are the new F? I've had a hard time finding that info online, but am also comparing SQ F to KE F from HKG or ICN back to west coast (final destination SFO).
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Does the flight out of ORD have the Kosmo 2.0?
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by finiteyoda
Just curious, how do you know which SQ 777 flights are the new F? I've had a hard time finding that info online, but am also comparing SQ F to KE F from HKG or ICN back to west coast (final destination SFO).
- If there are only 4 F seats then it is definitely the new product
- If there are 8 F seats and J is 1-2-1 and has a mini-cabin of 2 rows, then the F is definitely the new product
- If there are 8 F seats and J is 2-2-2 then you have the last generation of F

The best way to check is to make a dummy booking in J and just reach the seat selection portion to see the configuration. A shortcut would also to look at which 777 flights offer premium economy since those definitely have the latest generation F. Also, SQ 2 HKG - SFO and SQ 8 ICN - LAX are 100% the latest F product of SQ.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.