UPGRADE AWARD DILEMMA

Old Aug 30, 2003, 8:04 am
Original Poster

UPGRADE AWARD DILEMMA

In December this year my wife and I are travelling MAN - SIN - MEL then returning ADL - SIN - MAN. We have a Y ticket in W booking class, but are hoping to use miles to upgrade to J. The cost of doing so at present is as follows:-

MAN - SIN = 45,000
SIN - MEL/ADL = 25,000
MAN - MEL/ADL = 50,000

We have 95,000 miles and have used 50,000 of these to upgrade to J on our return leg, i.e. ADL - SIN - MAN

So, we have 45,000 miles left which I suppose means we could upgrade MAN - SIN on the way out and then have no lounge access at SIN and go back into Y for SIN - MEL but that doesnt sound too attractive. Our other option is to try and acquire 5,000 miles in the next couple of months, but for several reasons that will not be possible.

Of course I am now aware that as from 27.10.03 we will be able to but extra miles needed, so we could buy our extra 5,000 miles which at US$40 per 1000 is not too bad.

My problem is this.......if we wait until after 27.10.03 you just know that the cost of a Y to J upgrade from Europe to Australia
will have risen from 50,000. If it goes up to 55,000 or 60,000 then it seems we could be looking at US$600 each for effectively upgrading SIN - MEL.

Does anyone have any suggestions or an insight to the new award charts? Is the cost of upgrading likely to rise?

Also,I had read on a previous thread that if you were reserving an award ticket as opposed to an upgrade award you could still do this even if you didnt have the required miles, as long as they were going to be shortly posted to your account.

Is there any way I can reserve my upgrade now and book my seats in J at the 50,000 cost then purchase the extra 5,000 miles into my account on 27.10.03?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Aug 31, 2003, 12:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Basically upgrades are processed electronically as SQ will pull the miles from your account once the upgrade is confirmed. So you will need the miles in your account before you can do that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.