Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Re-discovering SQ in J after 4 years: now as a lifetime *G & traveling solo! Advice?

Re-discovering SQ in J after 4 years: now as a lifetime *G & traveling solo! Advice?

Old Apr 2, 18, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Talking Re-discovering SQ in J after 4 years: now as a lifetime *G & traveling solo! Advice?

Hello Everyone,

So, after a brief disappearance from the FT community, I have made a comeback: and how!! In this brief span, quite a lot happened, in fact: professionally and personally; one of them being (and the one that FT'ers would appreciate the most) my earning lifetime *G status!!

To cut a long-story short, I am starting this thread, to ask for advice. My last SQ flight was in Suites class, almost 4 years ago, with parents. It was a phenomenal experience: especially with the double beds and lobster thermidor.

Now, after 4 years, I am all set to experience SQ J!! And I have loads of questions for the FT community (and I hope that it is perfectly fine of my starting a brand new thread):

I am taking advantage of this deal now: AMD-JFK SQ Premium Fare deal. I am currently based out of India, but, considering good deals are few and far between and that I need to make my yearly trip back home, decided to take advantage of this!

My routing, all in J, cost me ~$1900. In the end, my routing ended up looking like this: AMD-SIN-FRA-JFK-FRA-SIN-AMD. My questions:

On-board:

1. The AMD-SIN and SIN-AMD routes are on the A330, and I have selected 11A, which is the bulkhead. I always prefer bulkheads, as it generally seems more spacious (on Asian carriers), however, I was wondering if you could advise me if there are any other seats which might be better than the bulkhead?

2.The SIN-FRA-JFK-FRA-SIN is on the all J upper-deck A 380-800. As of now, I am on 15A (front mini-cabin), on both the directions. I have gone through this thread: SQ A-380 Business class seat questions, however, I am confused: some people prefer the bulkheads without the windows (row 11): are they that much better? Some prefer the back mini cabin: rows 91 through 95? Why? While others are of the opinion that Row 96, the last row, is the best? The main purpose of the seat, for me, would be to sleep (so quieter area preferred) and lounge. Any specific seats stand out to you?

3. I have BTC'ed on all of the flights where I was given BTC as an option. On one flight, AMD-SIN, BTC was not on offer, and I chose Hindu Non-Vegetarian: Is that a decent choice? If I don't like my pre-ordered BTC option or the Non-vegetarian option, will I be able to choose from the standard menu, or do they only load very specific number of meals according to the load?

4. Anything else, to make my on-board experience better?

Online:

1. Quick question, when you see your reservation online on SQ site, do you see your FFN displayed as such - SQ: 123456789 OR NZ: 123456789? That's how I see when I open my reservation:

Ex.

FirstNAME LastNAME

UA: XXXXXX

On-the-ground:

On both the in-bound and out-bound journeys, I have >12 hours layover in SIN. And the flight times are so awkward, that hotel is out of question (unless there's a SPG/Marriott property that lets you check-in super early and just use the room as a day-room). Any suggestions on the best way to spend 12 hours at SIN / city? Lounge-hopping, perhaps?

Anything else that you may want to add (and which I might have missed)?

Thanks so much, for helping me out, FT! Much appreciated!!

P.S. Mods: If there's a relevant thread, please feel free to merge it.
P.P.S. Mods: Please remove the emoji from the headline / tagline. Not sure how it got populated?! Thanks!!

Last edited by AvidFlyer1990; Apr 2, 18 at 4:17 am Reason: Request to mods
Old Apr 2, 18, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990 View Post
Hello Everyone,

So, after a brief disappearance from the FT community, I have made a comeback: and how!! In this brief span, quite a lot happened, in fact: professionally and personally; one of them being (and the one that FT'ers would appreciate the most) my earning lifetime *G status!!

To cut a long-story short, I am starting this thread, to ask for advice. My last SQ flight was in Suites class, almost 4 years ago, with parents. It was a phenomenal experience: especially with the double beds and lobster thermidor.

Now, after 4 years, I am all set to experience SQ J!! And I have loads of questions for the FT community (and I hope that it is perfectly fine of my starting a brand new thread):

I am taking advantage of this deal now: AMD-JFK SQ Premium Fare deal. I am currently based out of India, but, considering good deals are few and far between and that I need to make my yearly trip back home, decided to take advantage of this!

My routing, all in J, cost me ~$1900. In the end, my routing ended up looking like this: AMD-SIN-FRA-JFK-FRA-SIN-AMD. My questions:

On-board:

1. The AMD-SIN and SIN-AMD routes are on the A330, and I have selected 11A, which is the bulkhead. I always prefer bulkheads, as it generally seems more spacious (on Asian carriers), however, I was wondering if you could advise me if there are any other seats which might be better than the bulkhead?

2.The SIN-FRA-JFK-FRA-SIN is on the all J upper-deck A 380-800. As of now, I am on 15A (front mini-cabin), on both the directions. I have gone through this thread: SQ A-380 Business class seat questions, however, I am confused: some people prefer the bulkheads without the windows (row 11): are they that much better? Some prefer the back mini cabin: rows 91 through 95? Why? While others are of the opinion that Row 96, the last row, is the best? The main purpose of the seat, for me, would be to sleep (so quieter area preferred) and lounge. Any specific seats stand out to you?

3. I have BTC'ed on all of the flights where I was given BTC as an option. On one flight, AMD-SIN, BTC was not on offer, and I chose Hindu Non-Vegetarian: Is that a decent choice? If I don't like my pre-ordered BTC option or the Non-vegetarian option, will I be able to choose from the standard menu, or do they only load very specific number of meals according to the load?

Online:

1. Quick question, when you see your reservation online on SQ site, do you see your FFN displayed as such - SQ: 123456789 OR NZ: 123456789? That's how I see when I open my reservation:

Ex.

FirstNAME LastNAME

On-the-ground:

On both the in-bound and out-bound journeys, I have >12 hours layover in SIN. And the flight times are so awkward, that hotel is out of question (unless there's a SPG/Marriott property that lets you check-in super early and just use the room as a day-room). Any suggestions on the best way to spend 12 hours at SIN / city? Lounge-hopping, perhaps?

P.P.S. Mods: Please remove the emoji from the headline / tagline. Not sure how it got populated?! Thanks!!
Hi,

Just returned from a 15 hr layover at Changi. 18:00 - 09:00. Despite other recommendations on multiple pages, my wife insisted on staying the airport and not booking a room - even the ambassador short-term ones. We were in Suites but I can safely say you're not missing much from not being in TPR imho though the staff were very helpful. What we were reasonably impressed with was at the early hours you can find a padded bench to lie down on in the SK lounge and they give you blankets and pillows. No buffet offering between 1am and 5am from what I could see. Food pretty decent from the buffet. We also went to the cinema in T2 which was a bit of a mistake as it was basically used as a sleeping room. The one at T3 looked more respectable but didn't have the same movie selection. Did want to look at the PP lounges but didn't get round to it. The other disappointment was the lack of storage areas in the lounges. They sent us to the pay for storage areas which will store your carry on bags for about 4 $S (half the 24hr rate).

If I was to do this again I think I would probably hop in a cab and spend the time walking around the marina area and get some fresh food. At least that would kill 5 hrs. I would also consider getting a pay per hour room in the transit area. We were just trying to stay up to chase the sun. The other decent rest area is at the lounge level next to the double storey LV outlet in T3. Lots of good chairs there which are more comfortable than the lounge.

Definitely a great airport to be in for a layover.

Just commenting briefly on meal options. Made the mistake of ordering a non-seafood option on SilkAir and ended up with a v tepid chicken breast salad (no sauce) rather than the tasty looking beef rendang. I wasn't given the option to trade. With BTC - The angus burger was excellent but the wagyu beef (dry though well seasoned) was a huge disappointment. The stewards didn't appear to know what they were doing with it which I was surprised with.

Will
AvidFlyer1990 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 18, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wavery83 View Post
Hi,

Just returned from a 15 hr layover at Changi. 18:00 - 09:00. Despite other recommendations on multiple pages, my wife insisted on staying the airport and not booking a room - even the ambassador short-term ones. We were in Suites but I can safely say you're not missing much from not being in TPR imho though the staff were very helpful. What we were reasonably impressed with was at the early hours you can find a padded bench to lie down on in the SK lounge and they give you blankets and pillows. No buffet offering between 1am and 5am from what I could see. Food pretty decent from the buffet. We also went to the cinema in T2 which was a bit of a mistake as it was basically used as a sleeping room. The one at T3 looked more respectable but didn't have the same movie selection. Did want to look at the PP lounges but didn't get round to it. The other disappointment was the lack of storage areas in the lounges. They sent us to the pay for storage areas which will store your carry on bags for about 4 $S (half the 24hr rate).

If I was to do this again I think I would probably hop in a cab and spend the time walking around the marina area and get some fresh food. At least that would kill 5 hrs. I would also consider getting a pay per hour room in the transit area. We were just trying to stay up to chase the sun. The other decent rest area is at the lounge level next to the double storey LV outlet in T3. Lots of good chairs there which are more comfortable than the lounge.

Definitely a great airport to be in for a layover.

Just commenting briefly on meal options. Made the mistake of ordering a non-seafood option on SilkAir and ended up with a v tepid chicken breast salad (no sauce) rather than the tasty looking beef rendang. I wasn't given the option to trade. With BTC - The angus burger was excellent but the wagyu beef (dry though well seasoned) was a huge disappointment. The stewards didn't appear to know what they were doing with it which I was surprised with.

Will
Thanks for the layover tips, Will! It's good to know that they hand out pillows and blankets at the lounge. Was just wondering, is it only at the First Class section of SKL / TPR, or do they hand those out even in the J class section?

Also, haven't been to SIN in about a year, so, might head into the city too!!
Old Apr 4, 18, 6:17 am

Yes, they hand them specifically out in the business area though you get them from the general reception. There was a reason the first class lounge was completely empty at that time. There's nothing there save for some teabags!

I'd try and kill time in the city for a while. Especially when you can leave your bags in left luggage and you can either kill time on the MRT & the annoying changeover you have to do or in a hawker centre.

Also the hotel desk is decent for negotiating a last-minute deal on hotels. On our previous transfer, we got into a reasonable & brand new Novotel for £60 UK.
Old Apr 4, 18, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wavery83 View Post
Yes, they hand them specifically out in the business area though you get them from the general reception. There was a reason the first class lounge was completely empty at that time. There's nothing there save for some teabags!

I'd try and kill time in the city for a while. Especially when you can leave your bags in left luggage and you can either kill time on the MRT & the annoying changeover you have to do or in a hawker centre.

Also the hotel desk is decent for negotiating a last-minute deal on hotels. On our previous transfer, we got into a reasonable & brand new Novotel for £60 UK.
Perfect, thanks wavery83. Hope to get a night in at a SPG property (if they allow to check-in super early and check-out the same day evening: and credit as 1 stay?).

SQ Experts, still need help with the other questions / advice!
Old Apr 9, 18, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Hello Everyone,

On-board:

Online:

Ex.

FirstNAME LastNAME

On-the-ground:

Hey SQ Experts,

Would really appreciate your inputs / advice / suggestions! Thanks much!!
Old Apr 9, 18, 3:41 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
How does one become lifetime star gold, without flying 50k miles every year, for life?
Old Apr 9, 18, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by davidj1 View Post
How does one become lifetime star gold, without flying 50k miles every year, for life?
Some of the other *A airlines used to offer this years ago for reaching Gold status over x number of years.

Avidflyer, to answer some of your questions -

1 - Bulkhead is probably the best choice there.

2 - A380 to JFK, row 11 has no window but toilet is in front of 11a so you may get some foot traffic past you. Go for 11k if you want this row. If you sit further back, row 96 is very private but itís in front of where the crew do their errands so it can be quite noisy there if you want to sleep. I would still choose this over 11 or 91 although it does mean last off the plane. One more thing though, 96 is where most babies will be as itís secluded area.

3 - Sometimes they allow you to change your BTC option to in-flight but do bear in mind other pax will have priority on choices.

​​​​​​​4 - Use the free SQ sight seeing bus tour then after head back to airport for shower. Or take a taxi to one of the sights in SG and chill around Marina Bay area.

Last edited by Mlee888; Apr 9, 18 at 9:32 pm
Old Apr 9, 18, 10:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidj1 View Post
> 100K status miles every year (for about 11 years), starting in 2006, for lifetime *A Gold.

Honestly, didn't realise I hit that milestone, after I actually hit it! It was surreal!!
davidj1 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 18, 10:51 pm

If you have the time you should head out. The lounges are SIN aren't spectacular, unlike the rest of the airport. They have a million gardens (butterly, cactus, lily pond, etc), a pool (pay use) and slide.

I hear the Crowne Plaza at the airport is pretty flexible for hours, you can try asking them in advance.

But you should really head out and get some food. Geyland area is open 24 hours, as in food and durian. East Coast Park is pretty close to the airport and has really good seafood bbq.
Strolling Gardens by the Bay is nice as well. It has this eery glow to it.
davidj1 and AvidFlyer1990 like this.
Old Apr 9, 18, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Perfect, Mlee888 Thanks much!!

Originally Posted by Mlee888 View Post

Some of the other *A airlines used to offer this years ago for reaching Gold status over x number of years.

Avidflyer, to answer some of your questions

1 - Bulkhead is probably the best choice there.

2 - A380 to JFK, row 11 has no window but toilet is in front of 11a so you may get some foot traffic past you. Go for 11k if you want this row. If you sit further back, row 96 is very private but it’s in front of where the crew do their errands so it can be quite noisy there if you want to sleep. I would still choose this over 11 or 91 although it does mean last off the plane. One more thing though, 96 is where most babies will be as it’s secluded area.<br />
Unfortunately, 11 through 14 are occupied (13,14 A&K are occupied and 11,12 blocked (any idea on how to get those blocked seats assigned?)). I thought of going for 91, but thought it might be too far behind on the plane. Heard mixed reviews for the 96, hence the 96th row question. Although I may not assign myself 96, I'll definitely try it out on one of my flights.

Originally Posted by Mlee888 View Post

3 - Sometimes they allow you to change your BTC option to in-flight but do bear in mind other pax will have priority on choices.

4 - Use the free SQ sight seeing bus tour then after head back to airport for shower. Or take a taxi to one of the sights in SG and chill around Marina Bay area.</div>
Thanks so much for the info, Mlee888! Any idea if the SKL J-class section has lockers for my carry-ons?

Last edited by AvidFlyer1990; Apr 10, 18 at 5:52 am
Old Apr 9, 18, 11:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
If you have the time you should head out. The lounges are SIN aren't spectacular, unlike the rest of the airport. They have a million gardens (butterly, cactus, lily pond, etc), a pool (pay use) and slide.

I hear the Crowne Plaza at the airport is pretty flexible for hours, you can try asking them in advance.

But you should really head out and get some food. Geyland area is open 24 hours, as in food and durian. East Coast Park is pretty close to the airport and has really good seafood bbq.
Strolling Gardens by the Bay is nice as well. It has this eery glow to it.
Lovely recommendations, s0ssos. I have loads of time, viz.: >16 hrs on the outbound and >12 hours on the inbound, as layovers for my flight. Both the times, I arrive in SIN close to breakfast time, and leave around dinner time. I will probably try the East Coast Park for lunch.

Is Strolling Gardens by the Marina Bay Sands?
Old Apr 9, 18, 11:50 pm

Lovely recommendations, s0ssos. I have loads of time, viz.: >16 hrs on the outbound and >12 hours on the inbound, as layovers for my flight. Both the times, I arrive in SIN close to breakfast time, and leave around dinner time. I will probably try the East Coast Park for lunch.

Is Strolling Gardens by the Marina Bay Sands?
Yes. Formal name "Gardens by the Bay".

I think East Coast Park for lunch is good, as the Village (food court) is very crowded at night and tables hard to find. You have to try the stingray.

If you want to stay at a really cool hotel try Parkroyal on Pickering, as the design is pretty nice.

If you were tired during your stopover you can probably just go to the beach on Sentosa and take a nap
Old Apr 10, 18, 5:44 am

Iíve never seen any storage areas in the lounge itself, saying that Iíve never had a need to look for them.

changi does offer this though.

Airport Attractions - Singapore Changi Airport
Old Apr 10, 18, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
Yes. Formal name "Gardens by the Bay".

I think East Coast Park for lunch is good, as the Village (food court) is very crowded at night and tables hard to find. You have to try the stingray.

If you want to stay at a really cool hotel try Parkroyal on Pickering, as the design is pretty nice.

If you were tired during your stopover you can probably just go to the beach on Sentosa and take a nap
That's fantastic!!

Not sure about the hotel: Since my flight timings are pretty odd, I might just head out, sightsee / eat and come back to the airport, take a shower and rest till my next flight.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: