Wiki Posts
Search

J class and *G = Boarding Group 2 ???

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 12:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
J class and *G = Boarding Group 2 ???

It's been a couple of years since I've flown SQ in J. My boarding pass says I board in Group 2, on a flight where J is the highest class of service offered. And I'm *G. That beats even Air Canada for exclusivity, which puts me in Group 2 as *G unless I am booked in J on their flights.

Is Group 1 reserved for PPS, or what? There is no First Class from SIN to PER.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
It's been a couple of years since I've flown SQ in J. My boarding pass says I board in Group 2, on a flight where J is the highest class of service offered. And I'm *G. That beats even Air Canada for exclusivity, which puts me in Group 2 as *G unless I am booked in J on their flights.

Is Group 1 reserved for PPS, or what? There is no First Class from SIN to PER.
I just had this leaving SIN for FCO - for what it's worth, it made absolutely no difference. They didn't call by group number, but asked all PPS and Business Class pax to board first.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 5:11 am

I just did MLE-SIN-ICN-LAX. They called F and J at the same time for some reason. We were ahead of some F pax. However on my other trip, F was called seperately at SFO with its own rope line and then J pax.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
Is Group 1 reserved for PPS, or what?
No, PPS in J is group 2 as well. Which matches the annoucements: they board J and PPS together.
Either they don't have a group 1 at all when there's no F, or they use group 1 for special needs.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Normally Group 1 is for those requiring assistance.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
PPS and J boarded together on my flight, just as noted above. No group numbers were called out, just the names of the relevant categories who were eligible for boarding. No call was made for special needs, but they were boarded first (at least those who had been previously identified).
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
On SQ boarding group 1 is for first class. This is printed on the boarding pass. Just as business class starts at row 11 even if there is no first class, so the boarding groups are also not renumbered if there is no first class.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
And by the way, *G means almost nothing on SQ, it certainly does not give you any preference if you are flying in J anyway. If seated in Y or PE, you would most likely be in Group 3 or even 4.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
*G in Y is group 3, which is ahead of 4 and 5, and in practice means you can board through the priority lane after F and J, unless there is a separate *G lane. What I have noticed though is that non *G partner status members don't necessarily get group 3 - VA gold gets you group 5, but again that has never stopped me boarding through the priority lane. SQ's signage on this is a bit weird, with *G shown against the economy queue at Changi and some outstations, but then called separately, after F and J - are you supposed to push to the front of the Y queue if you arrive at the gate after boarding commences and there is a queue? I have always just boarded through the priority lane and it's never been an issue.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
I have never once heard "boarding group" mentioned in a SQ boarding announcement: it is not at all obvious why they even bother printing it on the BP.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:42 am

Programs: Accor Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SQ TPPS
Originally Posted by whughes3
I have never once heard "boarding group" mentioned in a SQ boarding announcement: it is not at all obvious why they even bother printing it on the BP.
I have heard it at AKL and HKG.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 2:28 am

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Boarding Group is on the screens for Y boarding at SYD.

I emailed to ask and received the response that Y boarding group is linked to where you are sitting. This doesn't actually correlate with my experience: I have found that star gold puts you in Group 3 and VA other partner gold doesn't. I was also told in the email that passengers in Y with star gold/partner gold can board through the priority lane at any time, regardless of what is printed on the BP (and presumably regardless of what is on the signage about first/business/PPS only at some airports).

Last edited by wyvern; Mar 10, 2018 at 6:41 pm Reason: (wrong airport in original post)
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:42 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by whughes3
At SIN they don't say boarding group, just the categories of passengers now eligible to board.

At other airports (e.g. AKL, WLG, SYD, CBR, HKG, ICN) they often but not always refer to boarding groups.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
At some airports they segregate the gate boarding area by group ... much to the chagrin of some passengers.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Am only holding KF classic, today my boarding pass show boarding group 1, seated 1F

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.