Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Booking Cancelled. What can be done? Need help.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Cancelled. What can be done? Need help.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Angry Booking Cancelled. What can be done? Need help.

Hi,

Seeking some advice from experienced travelers here on what can be done and what are my options.

My booking was canceled by SQ without informing us and we only found out when we turned up at Changi Airport. This happened on the eve of CNY, so imagine the shock and stress we were in when we were told our booking was canceled. We have emailed the following to SQ but no response from them. (see below for our email) Not even a case/ ticket number was given. After the trip, we tried calling SQ, but the only response we had were they are escalating matters. Any advice what can we do?

Thank you.

Email sent to SQ:

Spoiler

Last edited by cxfan1960; Feb 23, 2018 at 7:48 am Reason: Names removed by mod
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Not sure why you needed to write such a huge wall of text, but anyway since you eventually did get to Osaka, what exactly is it that you want? An apology? Some sort of compensation? Were you fishing for / hoping to get upgraded for your return flight?
cowie likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Both. Apology and Compensation.
Apology for the way this was handled by the ground staff.
Compensation for having a booking but no able to check-in. What is the point of booking a flight then?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by wtchan
Both. Apology and Compensation.
Then ask for it. Your email to CS was long and flowery, but you didn't actually tell them what you wanted. Tell them how much compensation you are expecting, and the reasons for that amount including proof of loss.

Or if you can't / don't want to put a dollar amount, at least be very specific - e.g. "I expect to be compensated for this inconvenience."

(Unfortunately, in my opinion "losing a day of sightseeing" isn't likely to get much traction, and I would expect SQ to just continue ignoring you, but then it never hurts to try.)

If that still gets you nowhere (which is likely, because SQ did get you to Osaka after all, same day some more), you can always go the FB route and complain there to see if you get any better response. As a side bonus the comments that are sure to follow will give you an idea of whether your complaint is reasonable or not.
w4rd likes this.

Last edited by shuigao; Feb 23, 2018 at 12:19 am
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
1) commercial or redemption ticket?
Vaterland likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I love this kind of DYKWIA stories.

Apology for the way this was handled by the ground staff.
First, it does not sound like that the ground staffs had done anything wrong.

Second, even SQ was at fault, it is unlikely for SQ to apologize.

(Case-in-point - I had a case years ago which SQ had absolute liability. Still, SQ paid the compensation without an apology.)

Compensation for having a booking but no able to check-in. What is the point of booking a flight then?
A airline ticket is only a promise that the airline will transport you from A to B. Nothing else is guaranteed.

Beside - the true reason for the cancellation remains unknown. It is difficult, at this moment, to seek any form of compensation.

Beside - SQ is rare in making compensation.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by garykung
Beside - SQ is rare in making compensation.
Most likely to be given in the form of KF miles &/or duty free vouchers.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:37 am

I blame your sister
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:12 am
THR

Wow that was a long letter. It really wasn't at all relevant to talk about their other perceived setbacks before going into your excessively long story.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
So far, my experience with SIA is that 48 hours prior to departure, I will receive an email and/or SMS to perform online check-in. Generally if there is no such email / SMS, I will be concerned and will login to check why this is so.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:37 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
If you want to skip the long, rambling story peppered with irrelevant gripes about unconnected matters:

- OP booked roundtrip tickets Singapore-Osaka for CNY
- OPs sister called SQ about changing tickets, following which the tickets were cancelled
- Turned up to check in and could not
- Eventually accommodated to Tokyo and took Shinkansen to Osaka
- OP unhappy and seeking apology and compensation
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 4:44 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
At least they are willing to do something for you. Try this on UA next time . . . .

MathNerd likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I would focus on thr fact that thr ticket was cancelled without specifically asking for it to be cancelled and getting compensation based on that. You mat get some miles for it and they may even point out that the ground staff gave you access to the SilverKris lounge (assuming none/not all of you had the status needed to get in while flying economy) and that is compensation enough.

Don't expect an upgrade though as SQ does love it's cabin class integrity whatnot.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:04 am

Hi,

Seeking some advice from experienced travelers here on what can be done and what are my options.

My booking was canceled by SQ without informing us and we only found out when we turned up at Changi Airport. This happened on the eve of CNY, so imagine the shock and stress we were in when we were told our booking was canceled. We have emailed the following to SQ but no response from them. (see below for our email) Not even a case/ ticket number was given. After the trip, we tried calling SQ, but the only response we had were they are escalating matters. Any advice what can we do?

Thank you.
One can sympathise with the frustration of turning up at the airport to find that your booking was cancelled (by your sister? by SQ? who knows?) and the overall setback to your family holiday in terms of time, but your expectations regarding being moved to business class or premium economy were completely misplaced. If you wanted your parents to fly in comfort, you could have paid for them to fly in business class. Don't paint the airline as the bad guy for not accommodating your request when it was under no obligation whatsoever to do so.

As far as SQ is concerned, they may very well have treated the booking as cancelled a long time ago. As to why it was cancelled, that is a matter for you to pursue with SQ as no one here was privy to the details of the phone conversation between your sister and the SQ call centre. I don't see why or how the duty manager/ground staff should admit that SQ was in the wrong as they weren't privy to the details of the cancellation either. Thousands of bookings get cancelled/changed every day for many reasons.
ewe likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How does OP know what his sister did or did not say when she called?

Too many cooks. If one purchases tickets and makes a reservation, that same person ought to be the only person dealing with the air carrier or TA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.