Singapore Airlines B787-10 Intro

Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
i dont see why people are complaining about the width of the SQ seat in J - seem to fit reasonably well for me and i am not the most petite guy around.

also felt the padding on the seat in bed mode was just right - had a decent rest flying PER - SIN the other night.

Look forward to flying this product again!
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
We're excited to be on this 787 for SIN-KIX in Feb, as it will be our first experience on the 787. We've managed to reserve seats 11 D/F, the bulkhead in J, since most of the info I've read recommend this as the best choice for a couple, although we will miss the window from the old A330.

One thing I will greatly appreciate is the side counter isolating the seat from the aisle. We've always been in 11 H/K, the J bulkhead, on the A330, and when the FAs came suddenly through the closed curtain to the galley it always seemed that they were going to bump into me, although this being SIA they never did, unlike the typical experience on UA.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:53 pm

Just did a SIN DPS trip on the plane - EY class.

IFE great
Seat width noticably poor.

Would be a struggle on a KIX flight (did that on the A330 last year)

For DPS - this time the availability/ timing worked (last minute purchase, Garuda already full) but for a sub 3 hour flight not worth the premium over Garuda or Scoot. Will actively avoid if possible
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by peasant
Just did a SIN DPS trip on the plane - EY class.

IFE great
Seat width noticably poor.

Would be a struggle on a KIX flight (did that on the A330 last year)

I’ve always found the seat width on A330 a struggle and not that different to the 787. Although many like the 330 because of no middle seat on the window sides, which makes it more comfortable. IMHO the 787 (except, I suspect JAL’s 8 across version), the 330 and the 10 across 777 are inferior to the 380 and 9 across 777 - and not really all that different to a narrow body aircraft.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:15 am

Fair enough. We usually travel as a couple, so 2-4-2 has advantage over 3-3-3. But the seat width did also make a difference - the 787 trip wasn't that different than the GA B737 we took last time (apart from IFE)
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
We've managed to reserve seats 11 D/F, the bulkhead in J, since most of the info I've read recommend this as the best choice for a couple, although we will miss the window from the old A330.
Wife and I will be doing 11D/F for SIN-NRT in late January. It's the red-eye SQ 638 flight though, so I hope the bed mode is wide / long enough for comfort.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
We'll be doing the exact same flight in the same seats in late Oct so I'll try to remember to report back.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:31 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by shuigao
Wife and I will be doing 11D/F for SIN-NRT in late January. It's the red-eye SQ 638 flight though, so I hope the bed mode is wide / long enough for comfort.
My wife and I did this end-August in the same seat pair. I found the seat too narrow to be able to sleep comfortably.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:28 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Ex-SIN
My wife and I did this end-August in the same seat pair. I found the seat too narrow to be able to sleep comfortably.
Did you happen to lower the armrests for sleeping? Still too narrow? Thanks.

Either way, I think I still prefer this seat from the looks of it as I can't stand that spine twisting foot cubby hole to the side on the A380/A350/77Ws J seat when lounging and not getting one of the few bulkhead seats.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Ex-SIN
Ooooh that sort of sucks; oh well, would have needed to try it at least once eventually anyway.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Wife and I just did SIN - DPS - SIN on the 781 in Y and had no issue. Would have preferred 2-4-2 but the 3-3-3 was perfectly fine for us and the IFE was quite crisp and responsive. Cabin feels very light and airy and compared to the planes we’re used to in the US for similar length flights, it was a treat.

We’re both Americans of average build (I’m about 5’ 11’’ / 165) and neither of us took any issue with width or legroom (though plenty of overhead bin space for my one carry-on so didn’t have anything under my feet).

Would be perfectly fine to book again if the price and timing was right (definitely wouldn’t book away because of the plane type).
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: SQ TPP, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by demue
Did you happen to lower the armrests for sleeping? Still too narrow? Thanks.

Either way, I think I still prefer this seat from the looks of it as I can't stand that spine twisting foot cubby hole to the side on the A380/A350/77Ws J seat when lounging and not getting one of the few bulkhead seats.
Yes, I lowered the arm rest. Still too narrow.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: QF Plat (Life Gold), SQ PPS
After my most recent SQ 787 flight, a few more observations:
1) on some other airlines with this type of layout in J, the front row seats, having no seat in front, have a wider footwell than the other seats; on SQ, the front row seats (row 11) have the same width footwell as all the others.
2) on the "off-aisle" J seats, the opening to the aisle is quite narrow, to the point where a "person of size" might have some difficulty fitting through.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just to circle back and add — my wife and I did the SQ 781 on DPS - SIN - DPS and then yesterday did the NZ 789 on AKL - PPT (and the purser noted that it was a brand new 789 because the IFE was having some teething problems with getting free movies loaded for Works passengers).

The difference was stark — SQ plane felt significantly more comfortable, open, the IFE screen was much bigger and the movies loaded on it were clear (watched Friends on both and on SQ it was HD quality and on NZ it was SD and not even widescreen).

NZ plane felt like I was flying on a US airline (take your pick) and SQ felt like a premium airline even in Y.

Take it for what it’s worth but if booking Y in the region again, I would prefer SQ where possible (the 781 was also better than the QF Y A330 flight I flew back on December on SYD - SIN)
Old Oct 6, 2018, 10:09 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Any idea why SQ983 is no longer B787-10?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.