Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

How to solve this Married Segment Issue? Need Help.

Old Feb 20, 18, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold

Hi,
So I have 2 passengers booked from JNB - SIN in Biz on an award ticket using Krisflyer miles. When I booked the tickets, I did not know that the flight was actually arriving from CPT to JNB (SQ 479) which continued on to SIN.

Here is the info that I do know after checking into the website.
* CPT - JNB : No biz or Premium economy available.
* If I search CPT to SIN, I get Premium economy available on the SQ 479 from CPT - JNB - SIN. No Biz availability.

I called Singapore Airlines Singapore number (always redirects to India as getting Indian call c enter agents) and called once in Los Angeles number (also I think got redirected to some other country, not sure). Every time they say either no space available on CPT - JNB or I cannot "downsell" (???). I thought mixed cabin itinerary is allowed in Singapore Airlines.

What to do? HUCA maybe a different country office of Singapore Airlines.
Is this a married segment issue that prevents CPT - JNB flight not being allowed to be added in isolation??
Old Feb 20, 18, 3:01 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I'm confused, you said the website shows no availability for CPT - JNB J or PEY (i'm guessing award) and the call center is saying there is no space available either so both are telling you the same thing... what are you actually trying to do (specifically)? You never said.

Are you trying to re-route the origin of the award from JNB to CPT in J?
Are you trying to add another segment to the award (JNB-CPT) in J?

etc...
Old Feb 20, 18, 6:34 am

OP is all sorts of confusing.

That said, you can't add a CPT-JNB segment to your existing JNB-SIN award booking without rebooking/reissuing your award ticket (subject to J availability, of which there seems to be none).
chisquared likes this.
Old Feb 20, 18, 1:33 pm

You can either redeem CPT-SIN or JNB-SIN. You cannot add a standalone CPT-JNB leg because SQ does not have the right to sell this leg. This is not a mixed cabin itinerary because SQ will ticket CPT-SIN as one sector, not two sectors CPT-JNB and JNB-SIN. This is a different situation to something like a two sector trip SIN-FRA-LHR (which would allow mixed cabin itinerary) where you could ticket in J for SIN-FRA and then accept Y for FRA-LHR if J was not available.
terbangalways likes this.
Old Feb 20, 18, 2:14 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS (17), EK S, NZ G, IHG Spire RA, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by ketelone View Post
Hi,
So I have 2 passengers booked from JNB - SIN in Biz on an award ticket using Krisflyer miles. When I booked the tickets, I did not know that the flight was actually arriving from CPT to JNB (SQ 479) which continued on to SIN.

Here is the info that I do know after checking into the website.
* CPT - JNB : No biz or Premium economy available.
* If I search CPT to SIN, I get Premium economy available on the SQ 479 from CPT - JNB - SIN. No Biz availability.

I called Singapore Airlines Singapore number (always redirects to India as getting Indian call c enter agents) and called once in Los Angeles number (also I think got redirected to some other country, not sure). Every time they say either no space available on CPT - JNB or I cannot "downsell" (???). I thought mixed cabin itinerary is allowed in Singapore Airlines.

What to do? HUCA maybe a different country office of Singapore Airlines.
Is this a married segment issue that prevents CPT - JNB flight not being allowed to be added in isolation??
There is no CPT-JNB flight. Itís a CPT-SIN flight which stops in JNB to pick up passengers who have bought JNB-SIN.
Old Feb 21, 18, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Top of climb View Post
You can either redeem CPT-SIN or JNB-SIN. You cannot add a standalone CPT-JNB leg because SQ does not have the right to sell this leg. This is not a mixed cabin itinerary because SQ will ticket CPT-SIN as one sector, not two sectors CPT-JNB and JNB-SIN. This is a different situation to something like a two sector trip SIN-FRA-LHR (which would allow mixed cabin itinerary) where you could ticket in J for SIN-FRA and then accept Y for FRA-LHR if J was not available.
That now totally makes sense. I could not search anything CPT - JNB but was seeing availability on CPT - JNB - SIN on premium economy. Looks like my only option right now is.
1) keep checking CPT - JNB - SIN and see that there is availability in J for the entire route. Then pay a change fee to drop JNB - SIN part and add CPT - JNB - SIN. All the while keeping SIN - CCU segment intact.
Thanks again guys!!
Old Feb 22, 18, 3:58 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
@ketelone,
Originally Posted by ketelone View Post
Hi, So I have 2 passengers booked from JNB - SIN in Biz on an award ticket using Krisflyer miles.
Do you want to
1) Change an existing JNB-SIN-CCU award flight (2 people in business class) to CPT-SIN-CCU (in premium economy)?
or, 2) Change an existing JNB-SIN-CCU award flight (2 people in business class) to CPT-JNB (premium economy) - SIN-CCU (in business class)?
or, 3) Add a third person for CPT-SIN-CCU with an award flight in premium economy?
If 1, that is really not a good idea. You will downgrade yourself for nothing.
If 2, you already have the rare seats booked (business class South Africa to Singapore). You can spend your time looking for award space, and hoping that the SQ team dont screw up your ticket with an attempted change (and you lose your business class space), or you can just buy the CPT-JNB segment separately, cash , for around $100 per person (link). You probably need to ask yourself, is it really worth it to push your luck to add a segment ?
If 3, just wait list, but explore a backup plan (cash tickets etc).

Search this Thread