Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wi-Fi on the A350 & PE

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Wi-Fi on the A350 & PE

I am thinking of flying SQ-377 from MXP to SIN; does anyone know how good the Wi-Fi connection is on this aircraft? Will it allow me to do some serious work for several hours? Also, is Wi-Fi complimentary for Krisflyer Gold members flying Premium Economy? If not, how much does it cost for about 4-6 hours?
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:32 pm

I just recently wrote a very detailed review about the WiFi on the A350's including speed tests on two different flights.

SQ Y and PE to Iceland with Iceland Air (testing all the WiFi…)

The WiFi is not free for anyone even PPS card holders in Business Class... Everyone must pay or log in using a roaming partner (either iPass or Boingo).

Currently, a 3-hour pass costs US$16.95 and a 24-hour pass costs US$21.95.

If you're connecting to another SQ A350, B777 or a Scoot 787 flight then you can continue to use the 24-hour pass whilst onboard (but note the 24 hours is valid from when you first activate the pack and can't be paused).
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks henrus, that was a detailed and very informative review. Just curious whether you bothered complaining about the dropped connection and slow speeds?

Anyway, your review (both of the Wi-Fi as well as SQ's Y+ product) makes me pause and try to dig out other flights which may allow me to work on the ground during the hours I need. I guess I am spoiled by TK whose wi-fi is free of charge (when flying J) and pretty good (other than when flying over China when the commies block it). FYI, SK is also pretty good and free for Y+ passengers, on their long haul routes.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:06 pm

Yeh, I did complain especially since 40% of the paid time was unusable and just got the following response (basically a fob off)

There are some factors that may cause interruptions to the service such as weather conditions, number of users on the system, gaps in satellite coverage, system repair or hardware failures.

If you have issues connecting to the WiFi please try connecting in a few minutes as the Wi-Fi service might be temporarily unavailable. If the problem persists, please contact [email protected] or submit a message via the Contact Us page.
Yeh, I've experienced free wifi before on Norwegian Air and it was good enough to do a Skype call (it did have a lot of lag). SQ really needs to rethink their provider but I've heard the brand new A380's have faster signals with download speeds around 20mbps and uploads of 2mbps 500MB data setting you back US$29.99.

I guess unlike Iceland Air or even the US carriers with GoGo Air to Ground it's quite hard to get full worldwide signal something which is required for the SQ A350 fleet as they operate flights to almost every corner of the globe.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Current Promotions

Singtel, StarHub and M1 Mobile Customers can now enjoy more savings!

Enjoy unlimited data at just SGD 29 for 24 hours with:

- Singtel on selected aircraft with OnAir and AeroMobile connectivity services.

Enjoy unlimited data at just SGD 25 per day* with:

- StarHub and M1 on selected aircraft with OnAir and AeroMobile connectivity services.

* Please note that the timer resets daily at 00:00 hours (Singapore time, GMT +8).
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by yauee
Current Promotions

Singtel, StarHub and M1 Mobile Customers can now enjoy more savings!

Enjoy unlimited data at just SGD 29 for 24 hours with:

- Singtel on selected aircraft with OnAir and AeroMobile connectivity services.

Enjoy unlimited data at just SGD 25 per day* with:

- StarHub and M1 on selected aircraft with OnAir and AeroMobile connectivity services.

* Please note that the timer resets daily at 00:00 hours (Singapore time, GMT +8).
That's all well and good if you're on a postpaid provider with a plan in Singapore (something that someone not from Singapore really can't sustain on a monthly basis). The services are also quite a lot slower then using the wifi... on the A380's (OnAir) you're limited to around 250kbps max download speed and on the A350's and new B777's with the AeroMobile networks you're limited around 5mbps download.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 4:05 am

Just received the following -

Handy if you are a PPS member but not sure how far 30mb will get you though....
Complimentary in-flight WiFi for PPS Club Members

From today, all customers travelling in premium classes on Singapore Airlines A380, A350 and Boeing 777-300ER aircraft will enjoy complimentary WiFi. First Class and Suites customers will receive 100MB of WiFi while Business Class customers will 30MB of WiFi.

As an exclusive benefit for PPS Club members, you will enjoy complimentary 30MB of WiFi when travelling in Economy or Premium Economy Class on these aircraft.

To enjoy the free WiFi offering, you will only need to provide your last name and seat number via the ‘Complimentary Access’ section of the WiFi portal onboard. More details are available on the seat-back cards onboard the aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.