Best economy seat on new 380 layout?

Old Jan 26, 2018, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, FOTSG Platinum
Best economy seat on new 380 layout?

Hi all,

I'm flying SQ222 next month, and it'll be my first time in the new 380 economy layout. Seeking your advice on the best place to sit, as the cabin is still wide open.

I'm over 6 feet tall, so a bulkhead row is appealing, but I've often hit trouble in the past with bulbous exit-row doors that protrude well into the leg space of an H or I seat?

Flight is still J9 S9 Y9, so I wonder if my better bet is to take an aisle in the middle section of economy, and hope for an under-populated row?

Any advice appreciated.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
According to the seat map at the launch of the new cabins, for row 41 the seats are situated away from the wall (hence the extra legroom charge for 42A and 42K). These rows also seem more private, as the massive galley means there is no middle block of seats.
Old Feb 3, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
42 A/K and 71 A/K seem to be similar to the A350s extra legroom seats in that there is a missing seat in-front but they still have windows. These would be the ones I would go for even if I did have to pay for them since legroom is my main priority when flying Y.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
Having just flown 42A there is massive galley noise and light, due a large opening straight into the galley area, and not enough overhead locker space for rows 41-44. Also pax sitting in row 41 get everyone boarding in front of them through door 2 with no bulkead, LCC-style.

I can see the logic of moving F upstairs and PE to the front cabin downstairs, but SQ clearly put 4 extra seats (row 41) ahead of a standard galley/bulkhead arrangement which would have produced a batter cabin experience (and 6 decent bulkhead seats and 2 more bassinet spaces).
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by YOWgary
Hi all,
I'm flying SQ222 next month, and it'll be my first time in the new 380 economy layout. Seeking your advice on the best place to sit, as the cabin is still wide open.
I'm over 6 feet tall, so a bulkhead row is appealing, but I've often hit trouble in the past with bulbous exit-row doors that protrude well into the leg space of an H or I seat?
Flight is still J9 S9 Y9, so I wonder if my better bet is to take an aisle in the middle section of economy, and hope for an under-populated row?
Any advice appreciated.
Hello YOWgary! I assume you mean SQ232 SYD-SIN, because SQ222 is a 777-300ER flight, whereas SQ232 is operated by the A380 with new cabin products.

For extra legroom seats, I would recommend the emex rows, or 42A/K, 71A/K, which are one row back from the emex door, but have an empty seat in front of them (Plus a window). Seat 71K is pictured here.

Note these are preferred seats where a charge applies if booked online prior to the flight.

A more comprehensive trip report of the new cabin products can be found here (Links to external SQTalk site.)

Last edited by sqyf; Feb 12, 2018 at 2:23 am
Old Feb 14, 2018, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sqyf
Hello YOWgary! I assume you mean SQ232 SYD-SIN, because SQ222 is a 777-300ER flight, whereas SQ232 is operated by the A380 with new cabin products.

For extra legroom seats, I would recommend the emex rows, or 42A/K, 71A/K, which are one row back from the emex door, but have an empty seat in front of them (Plus a window). Seat 71K is pictured here.

Note these are preferred seats where a charge applies if booked online prior to the flight.

A more comprehensive trip report of the new cabin products can be found here (Links to external SQTalk site.)
Really can't thank you enough for this, and for your excellent TR on SQTalk. Brilliant!
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:55 am

I personally found the 773ER seats (2013 Y) to be more comfortable than the new ones in the 380.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 12:34 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Really can't thank you enough for this, and for your excellent TR on SQTalk. Brilliant!
Thanks, YOWgary! Have a great flight to Singapore on the new A380!
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:29 am

is there any economy seat on the the new 380 upper level ?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by skysun
is there any economy seat on the the new 380 upper level ?
No, Y and PE are both downstairs on the new design. PE being where Suites used to be on the A380.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onlySIA
No, Y and PE are both downstairs on the new design. PE being where Suites used to be on the A380.
Aw, nuts, I was hoping the rear section of Economy was still upstairs.

Does this mean I should expect meal options to be running short by the time they get up into the 70s?
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:43 pm

Does this mean I should expect meal options to be running short by the time they get up into the 70s?
There is a galley between rows 68 and 69 so it's possible the rear Y cabin has a separate meal trolley. I always lost track of which places they do front-to-back and which they do back-to-front anyway, but I think about 90 % of my journeys I was able to get my first choice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.