Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Transiting SIN on separate tix - arr Silk Air & dep SQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LT Plat; WoH Exp; AS Gold; AA Plat

I am booked on Silk Air DAD-SIN on a cash economy ticket and 8 hours later, am traveling on Singapore Airlines SIN-MEL on a business award ticket.
  1. would Silk Air check my bags through to MEL?
  2. What are your recommendations for an 8-hour layover in Singapore 4pm to midnight?
  3. Any other advice?
Thx
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:03 am

Programs: LH FTL
1. yes, very likely
2. take the metro downtown for a walk at the Quay or some shopping, metro is cheap and quick. The SQ lounge is not that fantastic to spend so much time in it. If you are back 2 hours before your flight for a shower and some food, that is enough in my opinion.
3 no ;-)
Old Jan 20, 2018, 10:54 pm

You might want to check if your SilkAir boarding pass will also allow you some privileges downtown. The SQ pass I know will allow you to hop on the SQ Shuttle into town.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ex-koelner
1. yes, very likely
2. take the metro downtown for a walk at the Quay or some shopping, metro is cheap and quick. The SQ lounge is not that fantastic to spend so much time in it. If you are back 2 hours before your flight for a shower and some food, that is enough in my opinion.
3 no ;-)
many thx for your tips. I'll plan on heading into the City for dinner and seeing a few of the sights.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 11:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
You might want to check if your SilkAir boarding pass will also allow you some privileges downtown. The SQ pass I know will allow you to hop on the SQ Shuttle into town.
thx. Will check upon disembarking from flight.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by arfaczar
I am booked on Silk Air DAD-SIN on a cash economy ticket and 8 hours later, am traveling on Singapore Airlines SIN-MEL on a business award ticket.
  2. What are your recommendations for an 8-hour layover in Singapore 4pm to midnight?
  3. Any other advice?
Thx
1. Yes. Definitely. You will be accorded *A privileges too eg extra baggage allowance.
2. Take the free tour. Then hang around T3. Lots to do , eat and see there.
3. Relax in the Silver Kris Lounge. Eat your supper there. No need to stress.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
  3. Any other advice?
Thx
1. Only if you present your Melbourne ticket as wel while checking in at DAD. Otherwise the checkin assistant would have no idea of your Melbourne journey. To be on the safer side, I would call SQ and ask them to combine the itineraries if possible.

2. Depends upon what your interests are. Most tourist attractions would close by 6-7pm. So shopping / spa / dining are the only options. If it’s your first time to SG, i’d recommend either the Flyer or a boat cruise at marina bay and the short laser show and a dinner at Clarke quay or boat Quay.

3. Don’t take the train (locally called MRT) - it’ll take 40 mins to centre including a change of train. Just take a taxi or uber and you’ll be at ur destination in 15-20 mins.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spk307

1. Only if you present your Melbourne ticket as wel while checking in at DAD. Otherwise the checkin assistant would have no idea of your Melbourne journey. To be on the safer side, I would call SQ and ask them to combine the itineraries if possible.

2. Depends upon what your interests are. Most tourist attractions would close by 6-7pm. So shopping / spa / dining are the only options. If it’s your first time to SG, i’d recommend either the Flyer or a boat cruise at marina bay and the short laser show and a dinner at Clarke quay or boat Quay.

3. Don’t take the train (locally called MRT) - it’ll take 40 mins to centre including a change of train. Just take a taxi or uber and you’ll be at ur destination in 15-20 mins.
Thx. I'll be sure to call SQ and attempt to link/combine the 2 trips. A 15-20 uber ride is super convenient and it being a Sunday, the traffic shouldn't be too bad.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
1. Yes. Definitely. You will be accorded *A privileges too eg extra baggage allowance.
2. Take the free tour. Then hang around T3. Lots to do , eat and see there.
3. Relax in the Silver Kris Lounge. Eat your supper there. No need to stress.
I was reading about the free tour but wasn't sure if I was eligible since I have 2 separate tickets while 'transiting' SIN. But I will enquire at the desk all the same. Eating a late supper at the KF lounge and a shower before boarding should maximize snooze hours on the short flight in to MEL. Thx
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I was reading about the free tour but wasn't sure if I was eligible since I have 2 separate tickets while 'transiting' SIN. But I will enquire at the desk all the same. Eating a late supper at the KF lounge and a shower before boarding should maximize snooze hours on the short flight in to MEL. Thx
Were you able to do the free tour with separate tickets? And did Silk Air check your bags through to MEL?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
A 15-20 uber ride is super convenient and it being a Sunday, the traffic shouldn't be too bad.
Hasn't Uber ceased operations in SE Asia including Singapore now? I tried to set up a Grab Taxi account before my next trip and got the "F** koff you're not in our area" message
Old Sep 22, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by RTWFF
Hasn't Uber ceased operations in SE Asia including Singapore now? I tried to set up a Grab Taxi account before my next trip and got the "F** koff you're not in our area" message
Correct, Uber is dead. I believe I set up my Grab account while in Malaysia, but it works flawlessly in Singapore/Indonesia/Malaysia for me.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Were you able to do the free tour with separate tickets? And did Silk Air check your bags through to MEL?
Flights are next month. I'll post on the result in a month

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.