Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

HKG to LAX with a Stopover in Singapore on Business

Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Can anybody clarify this up for me?

​​​​​​Although the blogs say that I can fly with a paid stopover of $100 per person (2 people itinerary) on Singapore for a one way saver award flight. I am finding the mileage to vary by a lot. The website say 82,000 from HK to LAX on Singapore, therefore you would theoretical assume the total mileage was 164,000 plus fees but after my call with Singapore airlines, the mileage is actually 231,000 for two people with the stopover. That doesn't make sense.

Has anybody booked this type of itinerary before?
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:15 pm

SQ redemption awards are based on zones. 82k miles is required from Zone 4 (HKG) to Zone 12 (West Coast); however, since SQ doesn't fly HKG direct to LAX you would need to fly to SIN. This would be your routing:

- HKG (Zone 4) to SIN (Zone 1) requiring 27.5k miles
- SIN (Zone 1) to LAX (Zone 12) via ICN requiring 88k miles

SQ agent is correct that 231k is required for 2 pax HKG-LAX. The website incorrectly displays 82k but correctly displays 115.5k when a flight is selected.

Flying HKG-SFO requires 82k miles.
lamscott likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Troopers
SQ redemption awards are based on zones. 82k miles is required from Zone 4 (HKG) to Zone 12 (West Coast); however, since SQ doesn't fly HKG direct to LAX you would need to fly to SIN. This would be your routing:

SQ agent is correct that 231k is required for 2 pax HKG-LAX. The website incorrectly displays 82k but correctly displays 115.5k when a flight is selected.

Thank you
Old Dec 30, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by lamscott
Thank you
Fly sfo to HKG
Old Dec 30, 2017, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think OP wants a SIN stopover.

I'm not surprised that routing doesn't work. Bummer.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:48 pm

I don't quite understand why the need to add HKG-SIN and SIN-LAX together. A couple of years back I flew JFK-HKG on Suites with my wife and we used about 230k miles in total (pre-devaluation). I remember if I buy the tickets seperately (JFK-SIN + SIN-HKG), it would require more miles.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not surprised that routing doesn't work. Bummer.
Which routing?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by behyx
I don't quite understand why the need to add HKG-SIN and SIN-LAX together. A couple of years back I flew JFK-HKG on Suites with my wife and we used about 230k miles in total (pre-devaluation). I remember if I buy the tickets seperately (JFK-SIN + SIN-HKG), it would require more miles.
Isn't OP ex-HKG? How would OP get to LAX ex-HKG on SQ?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Which routing?
HKG-SIN-LAX for 82K.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
HKG-SIN-LAX for 82K.
HKG-SIN-LAX requires backtracking. Valid SQ stopover cities are "on the way" to the destination from the origin.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:58 pm

Valid SQ stopover cities are "on the way" to the destination from the origin.
Yes, I understand that. Which is why my first post said "I'm not surprised that doesn't work."

Although there is play in the system as to what, exactly, constitutes backtracking. USM-SIN-HKG is not so far off, and it's bookable.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:28 pm

HKG-SIN-LAX requires backtracking. Valid SQ stopover cities are "on the way" to the destination from the origin.
It's not just the backtracking in the general sense. The award chart specifies that the 82k pricing between Zone 4 and the USA only applies to non-stop flights between those two zones, so SQ specifically intended that anything other than the non-stop HKG-SFO will be separately issued via SIN.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Everyone is right in that regard. The helpful service agent told me that the regions were different, hence the problem. He was able to help me find Ho Chi Minh > Singapore > LAX as an alternative for 88K miles on Business as a substitute which was fine since Ho Chi Minh was my second choice.
Kacee likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.