Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Infant Ticket on *A Awards

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Infant Ticket on *A Awards

I'm traveling on single KF awards ticket on SQ, SK and SN. While booking the ticket the KF call center told me that they would not be able to book my infant on the awards ticket. I would need to book the infant ticket with each airlines separately.

So I booked my awards ticket and added my infant as a separate PNR "linked" to my ticket for the SQ leg of the journey.

After that I called SK & SN and both told me that they cannot make any changes to the ticket. I would have to get that done through SQ.

Who is right here? What do I do?
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by PiperAtGatesofDawn
After that I called SK & SN and both told me that they cannot make any changes to the ticket. I would have to get that done through SQ.

Who is right here? What do I do?
I've not yet flown on an SQ ticket on another *A carrier with infant, but my bet is to try calling SK and SN again. I was able to add an infant (for free) on my booking using Krisflyer miles on VX, by calling VX. However, this is not *A and is a US domestic flight (thus infant is free), it was added to my existing SQ-issued ticket. It might help if you call once to ask for the SK / SN confirmation code, then call again and try to add the infant to that confirmation code.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by fone
I've not yet flown on an SQ ticket on another *A carrier with infant, but my bet is to try calling SK and SN again. I was able to add an infant (for free) on my booking using Krisflyer miles on VX, by calling VX. However, this is not *A and is a US domestic flight (thus infant is free), it was added to my existing SQ-issued ticket. It might help if you call once to ask for the SK / SN confirmation code, then call again and try to add the infant to that confirmation code.
Thanks fone. I’m doing that. It seems that HUACA is not just for KF redemptions!

SQ charged me 10% of J for the infant! It’s an aweful practice. US laws are in this case are on the mark. SK added my infant to my ticket for free. SN advised me to do it just before I start traveling on SN because apparently otherwise SN would charge me for the entire trip. I thought that was plain rubish. On asking her a few more questions she spilled that she was actually getting some errors while trying to add the infant and hence could not help me! I guess I need to make another call to SN and hopefully get a better customer service rep.

BTW SK & SN can pull up my travel records using my SQ PNR. I could do that through their website too. But I couldn’t make any changes to the booking like seating, meals etc. for any leg.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 6:33 pm

It seems that HUACA is not just for KF redemptions!

SQ charged me 10% of J for the infant! It’s an aweful practice. US laws are in this case are on the mark. SK added my infant to my ticket for free.

Try calling at normal working hours for each carriers' respective local time. My J redemption on BR also came with a 10% charge for the infant. So it is not unique to SQ. Perhaps your SK ticket is domestic also?

BTW SK & SN can pull up my travel records using my SQ PNR. I could do that through their website too. But I couldn’t make any changes to the booking like seating, meals etc. for any leg.
Yes, but in my limited experiences, each carrier have their own number. I was also able to pull up my VX reservation on VX site using SQ confirmation number, but they also had their own confirmation number. Similarly when I booked NH on UA ticket and vice versa. If not given the operating carrier number, I simply call the operating carrier and ask for it, giving my name, flight number and flight date (my A3 redemption on SQ has the same booking reference though).
Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Try calling at normal working hours for each carriers' respective local time. My J redemption on BR also came with a 10% charge for the infant. So it is not unique to SQ. Perhaps your SK ticket is domestic also?
I don’t think the charge is unique to SQ. I do think the charge is absurd and just pure greed. Imagine you’re flying on a $10k F ticket... You would end up paying $1k for the infant who would only be having (if at all) a baby meal on board which doesn’t vary between Y and F. You’ve already paid for the seat. It’s worse on some other airlines like CX (I think) where it costs 25% of the fare.

My SK is across continental EU not domestic.

Yes, but in my limited experiences, each carrier have their own number. I was also able to pull up my VX reservation on VX site using SQ confirmation number, but they also had their own confirmation number. Similarly when I booked NH on UA ticket and vice versa. If not given the operating carrier number, I simply call the operating carrier and ask for it, giving my name, flight number and flight date (my A3 redemption on SQ has the same booking reference though).
Yes operating carriers will have their own confirmation number. All I’m saying is that it’s not needed for them to access my ticket. Data interoperability / integration between *A members is getting better and better.

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Dec 28, 2017 at 10:37 pm
Old Jan 5, 2018, 6:40 pm

Any updates on your issue?

I am able to ticket infant reservation on A3 issued ticket, solely on SQ metal, by calling SQ.

I apologize for asking my own question on your thread as it seems most relevant. However, I do find an error with my reservation. The A3 ticket is supposed to be for 1 adult, 1 child (then add on 1 infant), however, it was ticketed as 2 adults. Child name is correct, just that it is tagged as an adult, would there be any issue?
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:01 pm

Thanks fone. I’m doing that. It seems that HUACA is not just for KF redemptions!

SQ charged me 10% of J for the infant! It’s an aweful practice. US laws are in this case are on the mark. SK added my infant to my ticket for free. SN advised me to do it just before I start traveling on SN because apparently otherwise SN would charge me for the entire trip. I thought that was plain rubish. On asking her a few more questions she spilled that she was actually getting some errors while trying to add the infant and hence could not help me! I guess I need to make another call to SN and hopefully get a better customer service rep.

I have difficulty understanding what you mean here... lap Infants are only "free" on US based airlines on DOMESTIC flights. On International flights they all seem (other than HA) to charge that same 10% fare.....just as SQ is doing.....so what did you mean about US laws???
Awful practice it may be..but it is well nigh universal.

SK's website states that "a 90% discount" is offered for Lap Infants...back to that 10% lol..... so if they haven't charged you Id keep quiet about it!
Old Jan 7, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trooper
I have difficulty understanding what you mean here... lap Infants are only "free" on US based airlines on DOMESTIC flights. On International flights they all seem (other than HA) to charge that same 10% fare.....just as SQ is doing.....so what did you mean about US laws???
I think (don’t know for sure) that UA/AA/DL don’t not charge these fees out of the goodness in their hearts but more due to some direct or indirect legislation that’s what I meant by US laws. In India on domestic lines airlines only charge airport and govt taxes.

But that’s besides the point. What I’m rather cheesed off about is that I’m effectively paying about $900 for 4 baby meals and the pleasure of the airlines carrying a baby strolley.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Any updates on your issue?

I am able to ticket infant reservation on A3 issued ticket, solely on SQ metal, by calling SQ.

I apologize for asking my own question on your thread as it seems most relevant. However, I do find an error with my reservation. The A3 ticket is supposed to be for 1 adult, 1 child (then add on 1 infant), however, it was ticketed as 2 adults. Child name is correct, just that it is tagged as an adult, would there be any issue?
I’ve managed to get the infant ticket from SQ for the travel on SQ metal. The first time I tried to book the ticket they charged me SGD 1066! I booked it and then called back again and the next KF operator said that that was incorrect and they refunded the $1066 and charged me about $400! How can they get these charges so wrong!!!

SN managed to book my infant ticket (EUR 450) after they took down all my details and called me back after 5-6 hours. The person who took my call wasn’t able to do it himself.

SK said they have booked my ticket for free and would send me an email on this shortly. They sent me an email last night saying “We can’t add an infant’s name to your ticket. Please call the airlines you booked the ticket with”. Bungling fools.

I can’t believe all these airlines are so clueless about booking infant tickets... this can’t be so rare / complicated can it.

To your question on the Child / Adult ticket issue - a lot of airlines treat anything above infant as adult. Not sure how A3 sees this, however if your child’s name & DOB is correct you’re all set.

Old Jan 11, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, KF Gold, Marriott Titanium

I’ve managed to get the infant ticket from SQ for the travel on SQ metal. The first time I tried to book the ticket they charged me SGD 1066! I booked it and then called back again and the next KF operator said that that was incorrect and they refunded the $1066 and charged me about $400! How can they get these charges so wrong!!!

SN managed to book my infant ticket (EUR 450) after they took down all my details and called me back after 5-6 hours. The person who took my call wasn’t able to do it himself.

SK said they have booked my ticket for free and would send me an email on this shortly. They sent me an email last night saying “We can’t add an infant’s name to your ticket. Please call the airlines you booked the ticket with”. Bungling fools.

I can’t believe all these airlines are so clueless about booking infant tickets... this can’t be so rare / complicated can it.

To your question on the Child / Adult ticket issue - a lot of airlines treat anything above infant as adult. Not sure how A3 sees this, however if your child’s name & DOB is correct you’re all set.

Correct you will need to book a separate ticket directly with SQ. This can subsequently be linked by calling in. Infant tix are 10% of the lowest available fare class your award ticket is in (10 or 15% I forget). It is impossible to get an infant award ticket to my knowledge. Infant will have their own boarding pass and you can select infant meals for them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.