Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines, Silkair to introduce new fare types

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NH, JL, SQ

Singapore Airlines, SilkAir to introduce new fare types - Channel NewsAsia

Introducing revised fare types
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
The associated redemption fees and benefits have been revised as well:

Fees for award tickets and redemption upgrades

Changes to KrisFlyer Elite and PPS Club member privileges
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:49 pm

Programs: KF*G, AB*G, IBP*G, LCAH*Plat, HH*D, ONYX*Plat, BW*DS
While it is nice to know that classes K + V will receive a big bump from 10% to 50%, which makes SQ discount economy much more appealing to me than other carriers I am used to take for higher miles rate at the same price... It will also mean that KF*G will be much more diluted with occasional travelers.

Does anyone know what will happen to the tier bonus? Right now, only fares with a minimum of 100% base accrual are eligible for the 25% bonus. With M + H + W now being worth 75% only, will these no longer enjoy the bonus?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
ouch, those new fees are going to hurt! I’m so used to booking multiple awards for flexibility and cancelling them because it’s only 15 USD to cancel..
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by rooivalk
ouch, those new fees are going to hurt! I’m so used to booking multiple awards for flexibility and cancelling them because it’s only 15 USD to cancel..
I would say this sort of behaviour is the main reason for the massive increase in fees.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:29 am

I have to say, based on my quick gleaning of the news, I don't like the changes. It makes it seem like SQ/MI is going the way of the LCCs and no longer the premium full frill airline. Not a fan.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: KF*G, AB*G, IBP*G, LCAH*Plat, HH*D, ONYX*Plat, BW*DS
Originally Posted by natbam
I have to say, based on my quick gleaning of the news, I don't like the changes. It makes it seem like SQ/MI is going the way of the LCCs and no longer the premium full frill airline. Not a fan.
I don't really get your point... We see plenty of airlines in Europe and the US going for these 'light'/'basic' fares, which do not include seat selection, meals, baggage allowance.

However, SQ only removes the seat selection portion from the benefits of the discounted 'lite' fare and it now even earns 50% instead of 10% miles. Baggage remains the same and is shown explicitly, meals are not mentioned but I would assume they are unaffected as well.

So what is the correlation to LCCs that you are trying to highlight here?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:11 am

Programs: A3*Gold JL*Diamond HH*Gold
I don’t like the change either.
Flexi saver used to be able give me 100% mileage, and is cheaper than other Star Alliance airlines and now only gives you 75%... oh you have to buy the most expensive fare now which is the Flexi fare to give you that 100% mileage. So not happy with these changes.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:01 am

I had the email today (not happy about the 75% krisflyer miles bit!).

anyway, I have a business class fare D booked for next June. I have paid in full and have an e-ticket so this means that the old fare rules apply doesn’t it?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: KF*G, Cathay Silver
not really.

Lets not forget; flexi saver no longer earns 100%. (my biggest peeve) With K, V fares bumped up; I don't see how this will lead to more KFEG members.

Nothing mentioned for *G members from other airlines, based on the press release i am also presuming they will get no seat benefits unless they're KFEG/ES/PPS.

On the positive side, at least flexi saver now gets the option to do a one-class upgrade.

Originally Posted by qsharp
While it is nice to know that classes K + V will receive a big bump from 10% to 50%, which makes SQ discount economy much more appealing to me than other carriers I am used to take for higher miles rate at the same price... It will also mean that KF*G will be much more diluted with occasional travelers.
palesky likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA, OZ, A3, VA, VS, DL, QF, former BD and others
It's disappointing that M, H, W no longer earn 100% - those fares were a bit of a sweet spot in terms of flexibility, cost and earn. The seat selection changes may not be beneficial if partner *G are excluded from reserving in the 'forward zone' of economy (whatever that is).
davidj1 and palesky like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Seems like an overall devaluation of benefits (revenue and award), disappointing.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by qsharp
I don't really get your point... We see plenty of airlines in Europe and the US going for these 'light'/'basic' fares, which do not include seat selection, meals, baggage allowance.

So what is the correlation to LCCs that you are trying to highlight here?
Probably the petty cheapness that was pioneered by the US legacies about charging to pick your seat on regular (most common) tickets because they feel that those customers who fly Spirit and Frontier are the best customers to poach so they must be like the afforementioned LCCs.

Last edited by abraxis; Dec 15, 2017 at 5:38 pm
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:24 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Sad to see that Business Saver will no longer be eligible for upgrade to First. Also of note: PE booked at the standard rate (not Flexi) will not be upgradeable and will only earn miles at 100%. First will earn miles at 200%, not 150 as at present.

Agree with all those who lament the loss of 100% mile accrual for Flexi Saver!!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by wyvern
It's disappointing that M, H, W no longer earn 100% - those fares were a bit of a sweet spot in terms of flexibility, cost and earn. The seat selection changes may not be beneficial if partner *G are excluded from reserving in the 'forward zone' of economy (whatever that is).
I agree - the Flexi Saver fares are what I would go for. I came over to KF from Lufthansa's terrible Miles and More scheme where tickets of a similar class/fare would normally earn only 25%, so it was a nice surprise to start getting 100% on my standard type of ticket. It's also bad that the ability to upgrade is now much more restrictive across the classes.

Having considered these changes, I think that in 2018 I will switch to crediting to A3.
palesky likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.