Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Limit of alcohol through SIN security when in transit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2017, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, QR*G

I'll be coming to SIN from OSL and CPH connecting to PVG and will bring duty free beer from OSL airport, in the clear bags with receipt that they give in OSL airport duy free shop.
Will it be ok to bring this through gate security in SIN? Is there a limit on how much I can bring ?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by nick5000
I'll be coming to SIN from OSL and CPH connecting to PVG and will bring duty free beer from OSL airport, in the clear bags with receipt that they give in OSL airport duy free shop.
Will it be ok to bring this through gate security in SIN? Is there a limit on how much I can bring ?
Hello, if you are in transit at Changi, as far as I know, you are not able to carry any liquids exceeding 100ml in hand luggage onboard our connecting flight, whether or not they are sealed by the previous airport in your previous point of departure. i.e. If you are flying from OSL or CPH to Singapore, then going on to PVG, you cannot carry any liquids >100ml from OSL onboard your SIN-PVG sector, whether they are sealed or not.

If you buy the liquor at Changi itself, I believe they do, in some cases, seal it in a bag and deliver it to your departure gate (I have hand carried a 200ml bottle sealed in a bag by the airside DFS shop in Changi Airport as well), but as far as I know, this does not apply to liquor bought in overseas airports and carried in transit through Changi.

If you want to bring duty fee beer into PVG, you'll need to buy it in Changi Airport itself.

(CORRECTION: Based on a link provided by lokijuh: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...restrictions/, it might be possible to carry duty free goods purchased inflight on a previous sector, such as alcohol, if they are sealed in a clear bag, with receipt attached, to some destinations, although you can't do this if you are travelling to the US or Australia. Pls see the link for more details. Thanks, lokijuh!)

Last edited by sqyf; Dec 3, 2017 at 8:15 am
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:55 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Restrictions here: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...restrictions/:

See the Singapore section:

Duty-free purchases:
  • Only liquids, aerosols and gels purchased from duty-free shops at Changi Airport airport, located after security screening points, will be allowed onboard.
  • These items must be packed in a sealed, clear, plastic bag, which contains a receipt as proof of purchase.
  • Inflight duty-free purchases from previous sectors will be allowed onboard for transiting / transferring passengers if they are packed in transparent, sealed plastic bags with receipt attached.
  • For flights from Singapore to Australia and/or the US, duty-free liquid, aerosol and gel items are allowed provided these items are purchased on board or are delivered by duty-free staff to the gate-hold room in a sealed bag.
  • If you are entering Australia or the US via transit in Singapore, you will NOT be allowed to carry duty-free items purchased from previous sectors.
  • Items, which are not permitted through security checkpoints due to the LAG restrictions, will be disposed off at the gate.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:25 am

Programs: QR Gold/CX Silver/EK Silver/EY Gold/Spire Royal Ambassador/Hilton Diamond
I think you are mistaken lokijuh. I just flew to phuket from dubai via changi and i had 4 bottles sealed at dubai airport and i had no issues whatsoever.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by gametitans
I think you are mistaken lokijuh.
How can they be wrong? They have quoted the SIA website.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 2:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gametitans
I think you are mistaken lokijuh. I just flew to phuket from dubai via changi and i had 4 bottles sealed at dubai airport and i had no issues whatsoever.
Thanks! I see that there are instructions for each country regarding duty free (quoted below)
It says must be purchase the same day as the date of the flight. So does that mean it will not work, as it's off course an overnight flight going to SIN, so the connecting flight is the next day after I buy it.

Flights from Norway

Duty-free purchases:
Only duty-free liquid, aerosol and gel items purchased on the day of your flight will be allowed onboard.
These items must be bought after the boarding card checkpoint at a Norwegian airport, or onboard a Norwegian airline.
These items must be packed in a sealed, clear, plastic bag, which contains a receipt as proof of purchase.
The bag must not be opened until you reach your final destination.
You are advised not to buy liquids or gels, duty-free or otherwise, from non-Norwegian airports if you are changing planes at a Norwegian terminal. Such purchases may be confiscated at the security checkpoint.
If you are going to Australia or the US, you are advised to check with duty-free personnel before making your purchases.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF
lokijuh is correct...the OP will be fine as Long as the beer is in unopened tamper evident bags with the receipt inside.
  • Inflight duty-free purchases from previous sectors will be allowed onboard for transiting / transferring passengers if they are packed in transparent, sealed plastic bags with receipt attached.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer/Star Gold, QF Gold/Oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by lokijuh
Hi, lokijuh! Thanks for the link (I had to take the colon off the end of the link for it to work). Based on the info there, you are right: it might be possible to bring duty-free purchases such as liquor onboard a connecting flight at Changi, as long as it is in a sealed clear bag and purchased on a previous inflight sector, with receipt attached, and only if you are not travelling to the US or Australia. I've edited my post to reflect this. I would definitely check this link, and also check with the staff onboard the previous sector, or in the duty free shop, before purchasing, though, as these rules sometimes change.

Last edited by sqyf; Dec 3, 2017 at 8:17 am
Old Dec 3, 2017, 7:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jagmeets
lokijuh is correct...the OP will be fine as Long as the beer is in unopened tamper evident bags with the receipt inside.
It says inflight. Does it apply to airport duty free shops also ?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by nick5000
It says inflight. Does it apply to airport duty free shops also ?
A couple of weeks ago, I noticed one passenger in transit had his alcohol taken away as it wasn’t packaged, he had opened the seal to check the contents during his first flight. He explained it was purchased in the airport prior to singapore. His partner was able to take hers through as it was still packaged, sealed and had receipt on hand.

Unsure if this is consistent with all Gate checks.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: SIA Solitaire PPS, IHG Royal Amb, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Hhonor Gold
https://ifaqs.flexanswer.com/CFP/pages/Themes/cag/Answers.aspx?MesId=16264289&From=Show&TOPV=YES&VMe sID=5185467

This is also covered in the Changi Airport FAQ page:

Q:I will be transiting here in Singapore and I will be carrying duty-free alcohol which I had purchased at other airports. Will I be allowed to bring my merchandise onboard my connecting flight?

Yes, you will be allowed to bring your purchase from the other airports if the items are packed in a Sealed Temper Evident Bag (STEB) with the receipt clearly displayed in the STEB. The receipt must show the date of purchase, item(s) purchased, the shop name and the airport name. However, this only applies to passengers who will be traveling on flights that are not bound for Australia and U.S.A.
nick5000 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hclee01
https://ifaqs.flexanswer.com/CFP/pag...VMesID=5185467

This is also covered in the Changi Airport FAQ page:

Q:I will be transiting here in Singapore and I will be carrying duty-free alcohol which I had purchased at other airports. Will I be allowed to bring my merchandise onboard my connecting flight?
Yes, you will be allowed to bring your purchase from the other airports if the items are packed in a Sealed Temper Evident Bag (STEB) with the receipt clearly displayed in the STEB. The receipt must show the date of purchase, item(s) purchased, the shop name and the airport name. However, this only applies to passengers who will be traveling on flights that are not bound for Australia and U.S.A.
That answers it. Thank you !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.