Question re SIN-SFO/LAX stopover

Old Nov 14, 17, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK - Gold, Kris - Gold, QFF - Points
Question re SIN-SFO/LAX stopover

Hi,
This may have been addressed or may be really simple so apologies in advance.

I'm wondering why SQ can't make it to the West Coast USA (or any USA for that matter) in one leg without a stopover in NRT or ICN?

United seem to do the same route no issues.

TIA,
Old Nov 14, 17, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ttep View Post
Hi,
This may have been addressed or may be really simple so apologies in advance.

I'm wondering why SQ can't make it to the West Coast USA (or any USA for that matter) in one leg without a stopover in NRT or ICN?

United seem to do the same route no issues.

TIA,
I have no idea where you get your information, or lack thereof.
A simple search would show you SQ flies SIN<>SFO non-stop.
One of myriad threads (from 2016) on this topic SQ to launch non-stop A350 flights SIN-SFO
Old Nov 14, 17, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Doing a direct search and you're right.
But only a few days a week, others are still showing a stopover.

I'd put sfo, lax, san, las into matrix and hit search and for the first 3 pages got nothing direct.
Old Nov 14, 17, 11:11 pm

Programs: CA Gold/ UA 1K.. Marriott/SPG Platinum
Doing a direct search and you're right.
But only a few days a week, others are still showing a stopover.
SQ 31/32 fly Daily from SIN-SFO.
Old Nov 15, 17, 12:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Well the correct answer is "they can, and they do." (And btw, SQ operates SIN-SFO nonstop 7 days a week; I don't know where you are getting your misinformation.)

But they don't really have the right aircraft for the U.S. nonstop routes yet. They are using the A359, but that is just a temporary solution until they take delivery of the A359ULR. Once they have that aircraft, they will fly nonstop to LAX and NYC.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 17, 9:10 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
I'd put sfo, lax, san, las into matrix and hit search and for the first 3 pages got nothing direct.
1. SQ does not operate to SAN or LAS, so that's not going to show up in any search.

2. You keep saying "direct" when you actually mean "nonstop." They are not the same thing; a nonstop flight is what it sounds like, a single flight from the origin to final destination, but direct flights can involve an intermediate stop on the way to the final destination as long as the flight number remains the same. SQ has both direct and nonstop flights to California, both on a daily basis (SFO: one nonstop, one direct via HKG; LAX: two direct, one each via ICN and NRT).

Just spend some time on singaporeair.com or Google Flights and you'll find the various options for SFO and LAX.
Old Nov 16, 17, 6:24 am

Programs: SQ KF GO, OZ GO, QR PC PLAT, TG ROP SL, LCAH SL, IHG SPIRE, Marriott BONVOY GO, HILTON GO
Originally Posted by crazycrab955 View Post
1. SQ does not operate to SAN or LAS, so that's not going to show up in any search.

2. You keep saying "direct" when you actually mean "nonstop." They are not the same thing; a nonstop flight is what it sounds like, a single flight from the origin to final destination, but direct flights can involve an intermediate stop on the way to the final destination as long as the flight number remains the same. SQ has both direct and nonstop flights to California, both on a daily basis (SFO: one nonstop, one direct via HKG; LAX: two direct, one each via ICN and NRT).

Just spend some time on singaporeair.com or Google Flights and you'll find the various options for SFO and LAX.
SQ doesn't yet fly non stop to LAX.

I tried to explain the nonstop vs. direct concept to my Mom & she didn't get it either .. LOL
Old Nov 16, 17, 6:44 am

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by kaffir76 View Post
SQ doesn't yet fly non stop to LAX.
I never claimed they do. Please read my post again carefully.

I stated that SQ has two flights daily to SFO and LAX. SFO has one nonstop, and a direct via HKG. LAX has two directs, one each via ICN and NRT.

I'm struggling to understand how to explain it any clearer.
Old Nov 18, 17, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazycrab955 View Post

I'm struggling to understand how to explain it any clearer.
you explained it pretty clearly - thanks for the clarification on differences between direct and non-stop. I had always thought they were the same
Old Nov 21, 17, 1:08 am
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
you explained it pretty clearly - thanks for the clarification on differences between direct and non-stop. I had always thought they were the same
Just to clarify, nonstop flights are also direct. Direct just means same flight number no matter the number of intermediate stops, if any.

Only some direct flights are nonstop.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: