FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer-500/)
-   -   Question re SIN-SFO/LAX stopover (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-airlines-krisflyer/1877506-question-re-sin-sfo-lax-stopover.html)

ttep Nov 14, 2017 6:44 am

Question re SIN-SFO/LAX stopover

Hi,
This may have been addressed or may be really simple so apologies in advance.

I'm wondering why SQ can't make it to the West Coast USA (or any USA for that matter) in one leg without a stopover in NRT or ICN?

United seem to do the same route no issues.

TIA,

UAPremExecflyer Nov 14, 2017 7:20 am

Originally Posted by ttep (Post 29059175)
Hi,
This may have been addressed or may be really simple so apologies in advance.

I'm wondering why SQ can't make it to the West Coast USA (or any USA for that matter) in one leg without a stopover in NRT or ICN?

United seem to do the same route no issues.

TIA,

I have no idea where you get your information, or lack thereof.
A simple search would show you SQ flies SIN<>SFO non-stop.
One of myriad threads (from 2016) on this topic https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sing...s-sin-sfo.html

ttep Nov 14, 2017 3:18 pm

Doing a direct search and you're right.
But only a few days a week, others are still showing a stopover.

I'd put sfo, lax, san, las into matrix and hit search and for the first 3 pages got nothing direct.

minhaoxue Nov 14, 2017 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by ttep (Post 29061169)
Doing a direct search and you're right.
But only a few days a week, others are still showing a stopover.

SQ 31/32 fly Daily from SIN-SFO.

Kacee Nov 15, 2017 12:30 am

Originally Posted by ttep (Post 29059175)

Well the correct answer is "they can, and they do." (And btw, SQ operates SIN-SFO nonstop 7 days a week; I don't know where you are getting your misinformation.)

But they don't really have the right aircraft for the U.S. nonstop routes yet. They are using the A359, but that is just a temporary solution until they take delivery of the A359ULR. Once they have that aircraft, they will fly nonstop to LAX and NYC.

crazycrab955 Nov 15, 2017 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by ttep (Post 29061169)
I'd put sfo, lax, san, las into matrix and hit search and for the first 3 pages got nothing direct.

1. SQ does not operate to SAN or LAS, so that's not going to show up in any search.

2. You keep saying "direct" when you actually mean "nonstop." They are not the same thing; a nonstop flight is what it sounds like, a single flight from the origin to final destination, but direct flights can involve an intermediate stop on the way to the final destination as long as the flight number remains the same. SQ has both direct and nonstop flights to California, both on a daily basis (SFO: one nonstop, one direct via HKG; LAX: two direct, one each via ICN and NRT).

Just spend some time on singaporeair.com or Google Flights and you'll find the various options for SFO and LAX.

kaffir76 Nov 16, 2017 6:24 am

Originally Posted by crazycrab955 (Post 29065888)
1. SQ does not operate to SAN or LAS, so that's not going to show up in any search.

2. You keep saying "direct" when you actually mean "nonstop." They are not the same thing; a nonstop flight is what it sounds like, a single flight from the origin to final destination, but direct flights can involve an intermediate stop on the way to the final destination as long as the flight number remains the same. SQ has both direct and nonstop flights to California, both on a daily basis (SFO: one nonstop, one direct via HKG; LAX: two direct, one each via ICN and NRT).

Just spend some time on singaporeair.com or Google Flights and you'll find the various options for SFO and LAX.

SQ doesn't yet fly non stop to LAX.

I tried to explain the nonstop vs. direct concept to my Mom & she didn't get it either .. LOL

crazycrab955 Nov 16, 2017 6:44 am

Originally Posted by kaffir76 (Post 29066909)
SQ doesn't yet fly non stop to LAX.

I never claimed they do. Please read my post again carefully.

I stated that SQ has two flights daily to SFO and LAX. SFO has one nonstop, and a direct via HKG. LAX has two directs, one each via ICN and NRT.

I'm struggling to understand how to explain it any clearer.

ttep Nov 18, 2017 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by crazycrab955 (Post 29066963)

I'm struggling to understand how to explain it any clearer.

you explained it pretty clearly - thanks for the clarification on differences between direct and non-stop. I had always thought they were the same

Kiwi Flyer Nov 21, 2017 1:08 am

Originally Posted by ttep (Post 29076607)
you explained it pretty clearly - thanks for the clarification on differences between direct and non-stop. I had always thought they were the same

Just to clarify, nonstop flights are also direct. Direct just means same flight number no matter the number of intermediate stops, if any.

Only some direct flights are nonstop.