Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Gluten free options flying SYD-SIN in Business?

Old Nov 13, 17, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone, I'm flying SQ for the first time next month from SYD-SIN in business class on A380. I can't eat gluten, potential cross contamination is not a problem however. But I need a meal that's gluten free..

My question is.. Do I need to book a special meal or can I avoid it? Whenever I book a special meal I wish I hadn't! Is there anyway of finding out the allergen information / ingredients for the 'Book The Cook' menu options? Or if I go with the inflight dining menu will they have allergen information on board like BA do with their Chefs Chat (and if so is there likely to be any options that don't contain gluten)?

Thanks in advance if someone can help!
Old Nov 13, 17, 11:47 pm

Programs: Lifetime Globalist
SQ has special meals that are gluten-free so I Guess they will not guarantee other meals are gluten free. The descriptions for the meals are often quite comprehensive so if you are okay with cross-contamination there might be a couple of dishes of interest.
Old Nov 14, 17, 1:34 am
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Printed menus do not indicate if suitable/unsuitable for gluten free (or any other allergens).

As with most airlines, a lot of hot food has sauces which presumably are not gluten free.
Old Nov 14, 17, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Sure, but any idea if the allergen information / ingredients for book the chef or the on board menu are available anywhere? BA has their Chefs Chat info which gives this. Was hoping SQ would have the same
Old Nov 14, 17, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by mr_moon View Post
Sure, but any idea if the allergen information / ingredients for book the chef or the on board menu are available anywhere? BA has their Chefs Chat info which gives this. Was hoping SQ would have the same
Not that I've seen. You could try emailing SQ to ask about particular menu items. They might say information isn't available and book a gluten free special meal.
Old Nov 14, 17, 2:57 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
With sauces, are they in a separate foil or are they already served on the main dish when leaving catering? If the former, you might be able to request they don't use the sauce..
Old Nov 16, 17, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
With sauces, are they in a separate foil or are they already served on the main dish when leaving catering? If the former, you might be able to request they don't use the sauce..
That won't work for dishes where the sauce is an integral part of the dish (e.g. curries).
Old Nov 16, 17, 4:11 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post
That won't work for dishes where the sauce is an integral part of the dish (e.g. curries).
Haha, yes obviously. I was more thinking of the following:

Grilled beef in green peppercorn sauce (although that comes with gratin potatoes, so that would kill that option)
Roast chicken breast in wild mushroom cream and gratin chat potatoes (again killed by the gratin)
Tasmanian salmon in wild-lime butter sauce with steamed green beans and pasta
Barramundi in black bean sauce with baby bok choy and jasmine rice
Cantonese roast duck with plum sauce and steamed rice
Singapore Chicken Rice
Old Sep 18, 19, 2:30 am

Any update as to whether there is a list of allergens in Book the Cook meals?
Old Sep 18, 19, 6:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
We always contact the airline in advance, and they have a special GF meal (plural, and snacks if longer flights) already on board.
At restaurants, there are more choices at hand for a chef to work with, but in the air, "not so much"!

We also ALWAYS travel with appropriate GF snacks, just in case of some mix-up, such as the GF meal didn't ever actually make it on board... Thus far, the only "error" was that a GF dinner roll apparently didn't make the flight (?).

We wouldn't trust just a "list" on allergens/lack thereof, due to possible cross contamination, unless the packaging states Gluten Free, and preferably something about the preparation conditions. Even then... In DH's case, at least it's not an anaphylactic reaction, although we always travel prepared for that, just in case..

GC

Search this Thread
Search Engine: