Search

PEY booking inconsistency

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean; Singapore Airlines
PEY booking inconsistency

Hi there,

Apologies firstly if this question/query is silly... Wondering if anyone else have had the same experience?

I tried to book a PEY class ticket (multi-city) BNE-SIN-NRT-SIN-BNE but SQ Website only provided PEY for SIN-NRT-SIN and not either of the Brisbane leg. Notification past the flight selection stated that PEY was not available for all sectors and the next lower class (economy) has been selected (even though the PEY cabin in all flight sectors are empty). But the economy flight tickets are under the 'W' code and not the Y, B or E buckets, as such not available to upgrade. Is this something that is common? Any advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2017, 2:44 am

Programs: Krisflyer
It may be that SQ made a commercial decision not to use the PEY cabin. I have been on a flight (MEL-SIN) where I was upgraded to a PEY seat but the meal and drink service was Y. That implies that they didn't sell any PEY seats.

Strange that they don't make B/E/Y available though...
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by onlySIA
It may be that SQ made a commercial decision not to use the PEY cabin. I have been on a flight (MEL-SIN) where I was upgraded to a PEY seat but the meal and drink service was Y. That implies that they didn't sell any PEY seats.

Strange that they don't make B/E/Y available though...
No it does not. Where do you get this nonsense from?

OP, my guess is your BNE legs are on the 772 which doesn't have PEY. If you opt for the 359 sector (SQ256) you should see the PEY option. Note that it's sometimes operated by an A330 so you may face the same issue again.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies - all the sectors I’ve selected are all on the A350 planes. The strange things is - when I deliberately chose the SIN-NRT-SIN route on a 777 (no PEY), the price of the premium economy fare went up by $500 and the BNE-SIN/SIN-BNE suddenly gave me the PEY seating option. Still I question why when I’ve chosen premium economy fares, the ‘unavailable’ next-class-down economy seats isn’t an upgradable seat.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Phaze
No it does not. Where do you get this nonsense from?
Just an assumption since they would have had PEY meal service (menus), PEY headphones etc. if there had been anyone who paid for PEY. I guess they could have upgraded all PEY customers to J, or downgraded them all to Y.

Or do you have an alternate explanation?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Maybe it's a website IT thing where it can't combine fares correctly. You may have to try booking this over the phone.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:57 pm

Very strange! The OTAs seem to be able to get that right...but the SQ website itself wants to put you in Y for one leg in each direction.....

As much as I dislike booking through OTAs it might be the simplest solution...
Old Oct 22, 2017, 2:56 am
Original Poster

I did call SQ customer service and they seem stumped too - one call ended with them unable to provide a price or get all PEY seats. It’s just frustrating having to explain to them the issue - for them to do exactly what I’ve done on their system (which is probably on the same platform) and provide the same result with no resolution
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:07 am

I tried doing a multi-city combination similar to what the OP wanted on the website earlier this week. No can do - the website can't do it correctly, and neither can the agents on the phone. And believe me - they were as stumped as I was as I read the fare rules back to them and they confirmed that it should combine correctly.

I suspect the combination rules/constraints for PEY fares aren't correctly coded in the backend system (i.e. what the rule text actually says doesn't correspond with what has actually been coded into the system), which results in even the phone agents not being able to get the fares you want.

And they wonder why PEY is selling so well...
Old Oct 23, 2017, 6:26 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
I can't see why SQ can't get PEY coding right other 'lesser' airlines can. Hell even the OTAs can, so I would agree with trooper and just book with an OTA if you really want to fly PEY on SQ for all segments.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again for the responses. SQ called me back to run through the combination and managed to price it.

I'm a sucker for a good deal and this is where is gets a little frustrating: BNE-SIN-NRT-SIN-BNE on their website in premium economy, it's $1700. B, E, Y economy is $1600. Naturally one will be drawn to PEY. But as it turns out, only 2 out of the 4 sectors are in PEY, the other 2 in Flexi-Saver. Through customer service with SQ, PEY for all 4 sectors is >$2K. Why can't that be on the system in the first place!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.