How awful is SQ248 in J?

Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
How awful is SQ248 in J?

I have a flight booked on SQ248 between MEL-SIN in December. It's operated by an A330, and from what I understand, this is an old hard product, with angle flat.

How bad is this? enough to change to another airline?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
It's a day flight so shouldn't be too bad. You still get the full onboard service which makes up for it somewhat. During the meal services you'll be seated upright anyway.

If lie-flat and/or direct aisle acccess is an absolute necessity for you, then pick another flight/airline.

IMO inbound SQ247 redeye is the bad one as it's operated by the same 333 that turns around as 248.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:20 pm

@SilverChris ...Why is the red eye the worse of the two?

I have a flight on SQ279 J coming up shortly. How hard is it to sleep in the angled flats?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by PatMcrotch

I have a flight on SQ279 J coming up shortly. How hard is it to sleep in the angled flats?
Because for most people, being able to sleep is more important on a red-eye than a day flight.

It's certainly possible to get some form of sleep on those angled flats if you're tired enough, but you might have to deal with the sliding effect. Some people actually prefer sleeping at an angle (or even not in full-flat mode), so it boils down to personal preference. Also, if you're on the A/C/H/K seats you'll have to deal with the lack of direct aisle access.

But still, a lie-flat seat is way better than an angled-flat
PatMcrotch likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
Because for most people, being able to sleep is more important on a red-eye than a day flight.

It's certainly possible to get some form of sleep on those angled flats if you're tired enough, but you might have to deal with the sliding effect. Some people actually prefer sleeping at an angle (or even not in full-flat mode), so it boils down to personal preference. Also, if you're on the A/C/H/K seats you'll have to deal with the lack of direct aisle access.

But still, a lie-flat seat is way better than an angled-flat
Ok..thanks for the info.

I thought about the isle issue and went with 14D so I don't anyone stepping over me. :^)
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Personal preference is to sleep on an angle, so for me these seats are fine.

I can get a few hours of sleep on these. A lot more than in economy.
PatMcrotch likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:08 pm

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Out of the five flights SQ flies to MEL, you get the old regional product!

All of the other MEL flights have the long haul product, SQ207 uses A350, SQ227 & SQ238 use the 77W and SQ217 use the A380 in December, if your schedule permits, maybe change to one of the other flights? The flight you are on is the only regionally configured flight that MEL gets and it only operates x3 weekly.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by PatMcrotch

The trick to sleeping in angled lie flats is stopping the "slide down" effect. I've found the best way to do this is put the seat in the pre-set bed mode, which makes them flat (at an angle), and then move it ever so slightly back towards seat mode - which puts a small kink in them and makes a big difference.

Sleeping is the main criticism for these seats, for sitting up during day time flights I find that they are fine - in fact they are wider than some airline's fully flat seats (eg QF, MH A330 seats) , so you do get a reasonable amount of width or "wing space", albeit not as much as the long haul SQ products.
PatMcrotch likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Please can someone give me the latest information on flight SQ248 (WLG-MEL-SIN), does it still use the angled seats rather than the fully-flat beds?

I'm trying to decide on a redemption whether it's best to fly AKL-SIN direct or the flight from WLG. I want to maximise the experience.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest
Please can someone give me the latest information on flight SQ248 (WLG-MEL-SIN), does it still use the angled seats rather than the fully-flat beds?
Yes. Take the AKL-SIN direct.
headingwest likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 1:06 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold

I'm trying to decide on a redemption whether it's best to fly AKL-SIN direct or the flight from WLG. I want to maximise the experience.
It might be easier to get redemption seats on the A359 from CHC-SIN.

I took this flight in January.
Old May 3, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WLG Base
It might be easier to get redemption seats on the A359 from CHC-SIN.

I took this flight in January.
Unfortunately that's not an option, there is no availability in J on the dates I want. Thanks anyway, and also thanks to Top of climb for the quick reply ^
Old May 3, 2019, 5:56 am

Unfortunately that's not an option, there is no availability in J on the dates I want. Thanks anyway, and also thanks to Top of climb for the quick reply ^

I have taken the flight WLG-MEL-SIN and found it ok.

Sometimes with saver redemption flights you have to put up with something not ideal.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: Krisflyer
Depends what you view as maximisation. A two-stop journey means twice as many lounges, getting to sit in two different parts of the cabin. The old J seat is noticeably less stylish but it isn't as bad as a lot of people say. Also worth bearing in mind that a small airport like WLG might have quicker security, less stress etc - but ultimately I'd say it's more important to have flight times and a departure airport that suit you.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by onlySIA
... Also worth bearing in mind that a small airport like WLG might have quicker security, less stress etc...
It is a benefit. I've taken 45 minutes to get from my aircraft seat to my couch at home.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.