SQ out of SIN

Old Oct 12, 17, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC
SQ out of SIN

Taking a SQ long haul flight (J class) from SIN to IST.

Can I check in at the SATS Premier check in lounge which would mean I can check in as early as I want, or are there strict policies in place for SQ passengers? If so, how early can I check in?

I recently flew TK out of SIN and could check in at the SATS lounge about 6 hours before my flight which was fantastic. Now I will be flying on SQ.
Old Oct 12, 17, 8:26 pm

Programs: MH Plat, AS MVPG, AC*G, HH
Originally Posted by longtimeflyin View Post
Taking a SQ long haul flight (J class) from SIN to IST.

Can I check in at the SATS Premier check in lounge which would mean I can check in as early as I want, or are there strict policies in place for SQ passengers? If so, how early can I check in?

I recently flew TK out of SIN and could check in at the SATS lounge about 6 hours before my flight which was fantastic. Now I will be flying on SQ.
SATS premier check in isn't open to SQ pax. Not sure what you mean by "as early as I want" but if you're hoping to check in a week before then you're out of luck. You can check in at the J counters at T-48 hours.

I hope you're not checking in early just to use the lounges, given how underwhelming they are...
davidj1 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 17, 10:55 pm

Why not use the SQ lounge? You can go there at least 6 hours before flight.
Old Oct 13, 17, 3:32 am

Programs: SQ PPS
Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post

I hope you're not checking in early just to use the lounges, given how underwhelming they are...
I will take this bait.

What is particularly underwhelming about the lounges? What airline lounges are significantly better in your opinion?

Admittedly I don't go to Changi earlier to visit the lounges either - but I think they are just fine for their intended purpose.
Old Oct 13, 17, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
SATS premier check in isn't open to SQ pax. Not sure what you mean by "as early as I want" but if you're hoping to check in a week before then you're out of luck. You can check in at the J counters at T-48 hours.

Thanks. 2am flight and hotel kicks me out at 4pm. Based on this info I should be fine to check in a few hours early
Old Oct 13, 17, 4:15 am

Programs: SIA PPS, OZ Diamond (*G), CX MPC, IHG Royal Amb, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks. 2am flight and hotel kicks me out at 4pm. Based on this info I should be fine to check in a few hours early
You can check-in a few hours ahead of the flight. In fact, I have done it the day before the departure time, as I do not have check-in luggage.

You can refer to the following website for details:
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...unter-checkin/

If you have a confirmed flight booking and are departing from Singapore Changi Airport, you can check in from 48 hours to 40 minutes before your flight departs.
longtimeflyin likes this.
Old Oct 13, 17, 4:36 am

Programs: Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by nanyang View Post
but I think they are just fine for their intended purpose.
Intended purpose is fine - 1 hour or so before flight departure.

Not sure if 5-6 hours is 'intended'! Each to their own but personally I'd rather be eating chicken rice in a neighborhood eatery then some slop from a lounge.

Can the OP leave their bags at the hotel and enjoy the sights of SG on foot for a few hours?
Old Oct 13, 17, 5:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davidj1 View Post
Intended purpose is fine - 1 hour or so before flight departure.

Not sure if 5-6 hours is 'intended'! Each to their own but personally I'd rather be eating chicken rice in a neighborhood eatery then some slop from a lounge.

Can the OP leave their bags at the hotel and enjoy the sights of SG on foot for a few hours?
Yes, absolutely. My intent is to head to SIN after dinner time (mainly to bring my daughters to the butterfly attraction at the airport). I also have a priority pass lounge so there's plenty of lounges that I can access while the kids meander around the airport.

I've heard that the SQ lounges are so-so, and while I have seen the various lounge reviews, nothing seems to indicate they are great, nor are they "horrendous".

As long as I can grab an evening shower before my flight, that's all I need.

Originally Posted by hclee01 View Post
You can check-in a few hours ahead of the flight. In fact, I have done it the day before the departure time, as I do not have check-in luggage.

You can refer to the following website for details:
https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/s...unter-checkin/

If you have a confirmed flight booking and are departing from Singapore Changi Airport, you can check in from 48 hours to 40 minutes before your flight departs.
This is why I enjoy FlyerTalk. Fantastic and thank you
Old Oct 13, 17, 10:58 am

Programs: SQ Gold, CX Gold
I've heard that the SQ lounges are so-so, and while I have seen the various lounge reviews, nothing seems to indicate they are great, nor are they "horrendous".
If you’re flying SQ in J out of SIN, you will have access to the SilverKris lounges, which are excellent by all accounts! True, they’re not the best in the whole world, but still fabulous lounges by any means, and blow any other lounge at SIN out of the water. Given the choice of SilverKris or any other lounge at SIN i would always choose the former.
HMPS likes this.
Old Oct 13, 17, 11:28 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany View Post
If you’re flying SQ in J out of SIN, you will have access to the SilverKris lounges, which are excellent by all accounts! True, they’re not the best in the whole world, but still fabulous lounges by any means, and blow any other lounge at SIN out of the water. Given the choice of SilverKris or any other lounge at SIN i would always choose the former.
Well if I had the choice it would be the Private Room first

But I agree, the SilverKris lounges are better than the priority pass or paid lounges that could be alternatives.

The EK lounge and the QF lounge (when it is not busy) are also on a par with the SKLs, IMHO, but of course not an option .
Old Oct 13, 17, 12:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Mergers and dispersal
When you say you can check in 48 hours before the flight at SIN, I assume you can't check the bags in so long before?

The reason why I am asking is that I have a stopover in SIN that is just over 24 hours and I don't want to cart the bags to the hotel if I don't need to (I know there is baggage storage facility there but it's easier if I can just check them in).
Old Oct 13, 17, 12:26 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by NetJets Germany View Post
I agree with you having used these lounges. What is "great" about a lounge is sujective too ! There are those who are inclined to debate which champagne is served and which is better along with "bacon rolls" etc.
When flying out of BOM J lounge I like the Indian foods and a 15 min free foot maassge with option to extend it with paid session.
I would take SIN SQ lounge over several I have sampled in many other airports.
Old Oct 13, 17, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
When you say you can check in 48 hours before the flight at SIN, I assume you can't check the bags in so long before?

The reason why I am asking is that I have a stopover in SIN that is just over 24 hours and I don't want to cart the bags to the hotel if I don't need to (I know there is baggage storage facility there but it's easier if I can just check them in).
The 48 hour applies to checked baggage as well So go upstairs, check in the bags that you don't want, get your boarding pass then head to the hotel.
Old Oct 13, 17, 1:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Mergers and dispersal
Originally Posted by stargold View Post
The 48 hour applies to checked baggage as well So go upstairs, check in the bags that you don't want, get your boarding pass then head to the hotel.
Thanks! I wish I knew last time This is so handy!
Old Oct 13, 17, 1:56 pm

Programs: MH Plat, AS MVPG, AC*G, HH
Originally Posted by nanyang View Post
I will take this bait.

What is particularly underwhelming about the lounges? What airline lounges are significantly better in your opinion?

Admittedly I don't go to Changi earlier to visit the lounges either - but I think they are just fine for their intended purpose.
IMHO, only lounge that is worth spending a bit of time in is TPR.

The OP is flying in J, so TPR is out. There's no SQ/*A business lounge in Changi that's worth spending many hours in. The SKLs don't have food that's worth writing home about, nor any amenities that can justify a stay that's longer than necessary.

Regardless, we now know that's not the intention of the OP

Search this Thread