Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

US-Based Customers Should Avoid KrisFlyer Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US-Based Customers Should Avoid KrisFlyer Program

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by Fyd
But even PPS never got me a free upgrade - I believe SQ views free upgrades as cheapening a premium product....
This is a widely held view, but I don't think it's correct ("cheapening the product"). It's more a commercial decision, a revenue protection measure - the belief being if people want to fly in business (or first), they should pay for it, not pay to fly in a lower cabin knowing there's a greater than negligible chance of being upgraded. SQ's approach is very different to the historical approach of US based carriers (although they are changing too), but entirely consistent with many carriers in Asia & SW Pacific.
davidj1 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by lokijuh
This is a widely held view, but I don't think it's correct ("cheapening the product"). It's more a commercial decision, a revenue protection measure - the belief being if people want to fly in business (or first), they should pay for it, not pay to fly in a lower cabin knowing there's a greater than negligible chance of being upgraded. SQ's approach is very different to the historical approach of US based carriers (although they are changing too), but entirely consistent with many carriers in Asia & SW Pacific.
Worth mentioning that "many carriers" excludes CX in my several years of experience with comparable status across the two carriers.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Phaze
Worth mentioning that "many carriers" excludes CX in my several years of experience with comparable status across the two carriers.
Is this a function of overselling policies or upgrading policies? (ie. do upgrades happen more often, simply because CX are more willing to oversell Y? vs just upgrading people due to status - even when Y is relatively empty).
Old Oct 12, 2017, 10:25 am

Veering off topic here - but mine is due to status and upgrading policies along with overselling certain sectors. No idea about Y specifically but I'm sure I've read that they oversell that cabin as well. Bear in mind they also have a PEY product.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
You have 3 years to burn the miles before they expire. If you're unable to redeem something worthwhile before that happens, you're clearly not getting much value out of this FFP at all.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by davidj1
I wonder if any of the OPs issues would be resolved with another Star Alliance loyalty program?

No points expiry?
Lifetime gold (or even 24 month membership period)?
Better award availability?
Upgrades?

I would think all these (together) exist in a dream world.
Sounds like Aeroplan to me (at least for now)...

Points only expire after like...12 months or so of inactivity. Something like that, but to keep them going all you have to do is buy gas, use a credit card, take a survey or even use this new carrot app I downloaded that gives u points for hitting step goals (it's like 2 points, don't get excited lol)

I THINK AC gives lifetime gold when you hit million mile status, or maybe it's 2 million. I never looked that hard cuz I'll never get there.

Better is subjective right...what I THINK happens is that SQ blocks their J awards to other partners, so those partners do the same in return. Aeroplan has normal award availability which is to say it's not great, but none are.

eUpgrades are given out, you use those credits to upgrade. Now upgrading from cheapo fares is prohibitively expensive, but you can buy a mid-range econ fare and upgrade to J, it takes lots of credits, but not an insane amount and if you have top status there's no co-pay. When I had super elite status I was getting upgraded constantly, I had to use the credits but it was almost always a sure bet.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 3:31 pm

The problem with KrisFlyer program is not impossible redemption on partner airlines, but rather incompetent poorly trained agents and (possibly) outdated system they use for a search.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Kat007
The problem with KrisFlyer program is not impossible redemption on partner airlines, but rather incompetent poorly trained agents and (possibly) outdated system they use for a search.
Those are actually minor issues.

The biggest issue with KF is while each *A program will give its own elite add-on benefits exclusive for the program, KF does nothing but simply provides *S/*G benefits at par.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
The biggest issue with KF is while each *A program will give its own elite add-on benefits exclusive for the program, KF does nothing but simply provides *S/*G benefits at par.
SQ are not the only star alliance programs only give *S/*G benefits at par. It's not really until you move beyond base *G you see a difference (with a couple of exceptions). On SQ, you need to be PPS or Solitaire PPS to have improved benefits. Other star alliance programs are better in that they do allow high frequency economy travellers to reach high tiers - SQ don't.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by lokijuh
SQ are not the only star alliance programs only give *S/*G benefits at par.
Mind educating me?

I honestly don't know which airlines are worse than SQ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.