Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-FRA-DFW not valid single award?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
SIN-FRA-DFW not valid single award?

I found SQ business class seats from SIN-FRA on SQ 326, overnight layover (14 hours) and then Lufthansa has availability on LH 438 FRA-DFW also in business class.

When I called to book this award the agent said it would be 150,000 miles. She confirmed SIN-FRA-JFK all on SQ for 92,000, but if I did SIN-FRA-EWR with FRA-EWR on UA it again jumped to 150,000.

I'm well versed with AA/OneWorld awards but a newbie with SQ/Star. Does Singapore not allow this routing? Is it because they don't publish a fare in that direction? I know they go SIN-MAN-IAH, and IAH and DFW are obviously close together, so it can't be that you can't go transatlantic to Texas...

Help please? Thank you!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Singapore publishes a different award chart for travel entirely on their own metal vs. travel on SQ mixed with *A partners.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
I understand. But 150k isn't the amount required between SIN and DFW for 1 award
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL PM...SPG PM
I would contact KF and speak to someone else. Ask them for the mileage for a star alliance award. As long as your layover is less then 24 hours its still considered a connection.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:31 am

You'll find one of the more common themes on this board over the last 3 to 4 months has been the difficulty encountered whilst trying to make a straightforward award booking with SQ - be it on SQ metal or *A. I don't see the issues clearing up any time soon. Trying a different agent is more often than not the best bet.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
From what I understand, SQ splits its award flights into 2 inventories, one being the 'only SQ flights' inventory redeemable by Krisflyer miles only, and one being the Star Alliance inventory. The latter is also the availability which you can see when using miles of other Star carriers to book SQ flights. As we all know, this availability is way way lower than what you would get when using Krisflyer miles to book SQ flights. And even worse is that some Star carriers are further blocked from seeing some of this inventory.

The problem with combining an SQ flight with another Star carrier in one award is that SQ classifies this as as 'Star alliance award booking', and will only look at the second inventory of flights even for its own SQ-operated sectors (i.e. extremely low availability).

The SQ flights you have found is probably only available as an SQ (not star alliance) award booking using Krisflyer miles from the first inventory. And what the computer tells the agent is that if you want to book this entire sector, it will price out as two separate award tickets combined together into one itinerary. i.e. SIN-FRA using the SQ award chart, then FRA-DFW using the star alliance award chart. Since SIN-FRA is not available in the 'star alliance inventory', the computer is not able to price the entire thing as a Singapore-USA itinerary.

Hope this helps to explain, but it won't solve your problem.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by pokfur
From what I understand, SQ splits its award flights into 2 inventories, one being the 'only SQ flights' inventory redeemable by Krisflyer miles only, and one being the Star Alliance inventory. The latter is also the availability which you can see when using miles of other Star carriers to book SQ flights.
That's not my understanding. For starters, given that SQ doesn't make longhaul R/F/J available to other Star partners, it would make it impossible to book Krisflyer Star Alliance awards involving SQ longhaul in premium classes.

I would find it much more likely that the OP got an agent who couldn't apply the correct pricing.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:39 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Originally Posted by stargold
That's not my understanding. For starters, given that SQ doesn't make longhaul R/F/J available to other Star partners, it would make it impossible to book Krisflyer Star Alliance awards involving SQ longhaul in premium classes..
I thought that was very much the case...
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I thought that was very much the case...
If you can find the inventory there's certainly no rule against mixing SQ F and *A F/J on the same KF award.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stargold
That's not my understanding. For starters, given that SQ doesn't make longhaul R/F/J available to other Star partners, it would make it impossible to book Krisflyer Star Alliance awards involving SQ longhaul in premium classes.

I would find it much more likely that the OP got an agent who couldn't apply the correct pricing.
No if pokfur is correct the issue makes sense. When you book *A, you only have access to what *A partners have access to. So, SIN-FRA is unavailable and FRA-DFW is. If you book SQ, you can get access to SIN-FRA but not FRA-DFW because FRA-DFW is not SQ flight. Thus, the only way to get both is to book one SQ only fare from SIN-FRA and one partner fare from FRA-DFW. I imagine that if OP tried to price SIN-FRA in Y it would work (but probably won't want to).
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:22 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Can you get SQ to IAH (1-stop in Manchester) and then go on to DFW separately?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
From what I understand, SQ splits its award flights into 2 inventories, one being the 'only SQ flights' inventory redeemable by Krisflyer miles only, and one being the Star Alliance inventory. The latter is also the availability which you can see when using miles of other Star carriers to book SQ flights. As we all know, this availability is way way lower than what you would get when using Krisflyer miles to book SQ flights. And even worse is that some Star carriers are further blocked from seeing some of this inventory.
THIS.

This guy knows what's up. Very good explanation. I had the same problem with AS miles. "Oh I can get you the JFK-EZE flight, but then we HAVE to find the SEA-JFK in hyper-saver award level (or whatever dumb name it has)". AKA...you're SOL, better luck next time lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.