KrisFlyer Award Hold

Old Sep 26, 17, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold
KrisFlyer Award Hold

Mods, please move this if necessary but I searched around and couldn't find anything.

I called last week to confirm availability in Suites SIN-BOM for 2 people in September 2018. Once the agent confirmed availability, I asked if I could hold/reserve the seats while I go transfer miles into my account.

To my pleasant surprise, he said he'd put the reservation on hold and asked that I ticket by August 2018. So, a 10 1/2 month hold! Just curious, is this normal practice for SQ? Will make future bookings much easier knowing this is potentially an option
Old Sep 26, 17, 9:49 am

Call back and re-confirm. Sounds like he misspoke. I've had a couple of long holds (couple of weeks) but 10 months seems like a mistake. You wouldn't want to lose your seats because of an agent's mistake.
Old Sep 26, 17, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phaze View Post
Call back and re-confirm. Sounds like he misspoke. I've had a couple of long holds (couple of weeks) but 10 months seems like a mistake. You wouldn't want to lose your seats because of an agent's mistake.
Here's the specific language from my itinerary that was emailed:

Please note that the ticket issuance time limit for your Singapore Airlines/SilkAir flights is 05 Aug 2018 0600 hours GMT, after which your booking will be
cancelled.
Old Sep 26, 17, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by wolfeman27 View Post
Please note that the ticket issuance time limit for your Singapore Airlines/SilkAir flights is 05 Aug 2018 0600 hours GMT, after which your booking will be
cancelled.[/I]
Yes, time limit can be extended that far.
Time limit can also be waived entirely.
Old Sep 26, 17, 11:10 pm

Didn't know you'd gotten an email. Should be fine then.
Old Sep 27, 17, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks terbangalways and Phaze! Sounds like I'm OK, just a pleasant surprise compared to most other FF programs
Old Sep 27, 17, 8:55 pm

My very first redemption I was given a 10 month hold as well!
wolfeman27 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 17, 7:50 pm

Programs: A3*S, LH, SQ, BA, IHG Spire AMB, HH Gold, Marriot Silver
Still keep an eye on the booking checking from time to time. While you got an email, sometimes stuff happens and while you can throw a potential issue back to SQ to sort it, it can require lots of effort and back and forth and may not yield the desired results. You don't want to get caught last minute. YMMV
Old Sep 28, 17, 8:09 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
Frankly - I would be ticketing Suites awards asap. Not like it costs much to cancel if it plans really change a whole lot.
Old Sep 28, 17, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fimo View Post
Frankly - I would be ticketing Suites awards asap. Not like it costs much to cancel if it plans really change a whole lot.
Yes, indeed. I've already ticketed, was just curious about the hold policy for the future
Old Jan 14, 18, 5:31 pm

Programs: Southwest CP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Anyone have any luck with this recently? Wondering if this has changed somewhat with their December changes. I've called six times and the best I've gotten is that they could make an except if I was only short a small amount of miles. In this case I have 0 miles and transferring in 200,000 miles for my booking. Transfer is currently in progress. All agent but one said it's not possible. Just wondering if anyone has had recent success holding when they aren't close to the miles required, in which case I'll keep pestering them.
Old Jan 16, 18, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Willbur View Post
Anyone have any luck with this recently?
It's still the case. I recently put an award booking on hold as I had to confirm plans. All I asked for was maybe a week to make up my mind but they extended the ticketing deadline to one month before the flight (far out).
This being said they did call me back after a week or two asking if I was ready to ticket it (which I did, because I didn't see any point waiting).

Note that I had the miles, so not exactly the same situation as you. Maybe it depends on status too (PPS here)?
Old Jan 16, 18, 3:31 pm

I also recently had an award placed on hold and was told I would have about 8 months to ticket -- just a few days before the scheduled date of departure.
Old Feb 25, 18, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Romain_ View Post
It's still the case. I recently put an award booking on hold as I had to confirm plans. All I asked for was maybe a week to make up my mind but they extended the ticketing deadline to one month before the flight (far out).
This being said they did call me back after a week or two asking if I was ready to ticket it (which I did, because I didn't see any point waiting).

Note that I had the miles, so not exactly the same situation as you. Maybe it depends on status too (PPS here)?
Originally Posted by kpottermn View Post
I also recently had an award placed on hold and was told I would have about 8 months to ticket -- just a few days before the scheduled date of departure.
Originally Posted by wolfeman27 View Post
Mods, please move this if necessary but I searched around and couldn't find anything.

I called last week to confirm availability in Suites SIN-BOM for 2 people in September 2018. Once the agent confirmed availability, I asked if I could hold/reserve the seats while I go transfer miles into my account.

To my pleasant surprise, he said he'd put the reservation on hold and asked that I ticket by August 2018. So, a 10 1/2 month hold! Just curious, is this normal practice for SQ? Will make future bookings much easier knowing this is potentially an option
Was there a specific way any of you said to the agent to make you hold the reservation? I called multiple times and each agent told they can't hold the booking for me as I wait to transfer my miles. One of them mentioned all he could do is expedite the booking process but they can't hold the award.
Old Feb 25, 18, 7:59 pm

Dang, I was only given a 4 day hold for a flight booked 2 months in advance.

Search this Thread