Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KrisFlyer Award Hold

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:57 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold
Originally Posted by Comp4k
Dang, I was only given a 4 day hold for a flight booked 2 months in advance.
About 3 months for 7 months in advance for the SQ legs.. no guarantee (which I understand) on the other *A legs.

Is this an arbitrary time limit set by the KF TA?

Last edited by PiperAtGatesofDawn; Feb 26, 2018 at 7:38 am
Old Feb 26, 2018, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by theeprodigy
Was there a specific way any of you said to the agent to make you hold the reservation? I called multiple times and each agent told they can't hold the booking for me as I wait to transfer my miles. One of them mentioned all he could do is expedite the booking process but they can't hold the award.
I was prepared to ask for a hold but it was proactively offered to me. I called to ask to expedite an SPG transfer, and the agent asked if they could place the award on hold for me while they expedited the transfer.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold
Originally Posted by theeprodigy
Was there a specific way any of you said to the agent to make you hold the reservation? I called multiple times and each agent told they can't hold the booking for me as I wait to transfer my miles. One of them mentioned all he could do is expedite the booking process but they can't hold the award.
Unfortunately I don’t remember exactly what I said, but I know I asked them to find the availability first and then asked if they could hold it so we don’t have to repeat the process once my points transfer was complete. It worked for me on the first try though, so could just be that I got a good agent who was willing to help. Good luck!
Old Mar 29, 2018, 10:55 am

Agent was able to hold the award seats for me for 3 days. Still short 12k miles, but should be getting them within a week. Going to give them a call later to see if they can extend the award hold.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: SQ, SK, QR
Just got given a hold until late July, one month before my flight. Agent originally said it's only possible to do if I have the miles, but she allowed it when I explained I would change an existing award ticket to the one I want to hold.
Old Apr 2, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
Originally Posted by AJ747M
Agent originally said it's only possible to do if I have the miles
Why would one need to hold if they have the miles?? I can't see the agent's logic.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 10:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Did you guys end up getting charged the usd25 service fee for using the call centre instead of doing it online?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by shuigao
Did you guys end up getting charged the usd25 service fee for using the call centre instead of doing it online?
Yes, I was charged the service fee because I had to confirm the booking over the phone.
shuigao likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
can one ticket a resv online that was set up by an agent?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
can one ticket a resv online that was set up by an agent?
I was not able to.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM
Before calling SQ, I wanted to get feedback on what I'm going to ask is possible.

I am about 60,000 miles short for an award redemption for my family of 4. I expect that I will have the miles by end of October (waiting on a Citi Premier signup bonus to post on my next billing cycle and then will transfer to KrisFlyer).

We are going to travel in late May 2019, so travel is about 8 months out. Is it possible to hold an award reservation until Nov 1st or so?

I plan on calling in to SQ tomorrow to inquire, but want to get some advice from the group about what is possible.

Thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AAMCI
Before calling SQ, I wanted to get feedback on what I'm going to ask is possible.

I am about 60,000 miles short for an award redemption for my family of 4. I expect that I will have the miles by end of October (waiting on a Citi Premier signup bonus to post on my next billing cycle and then will transfer to KrisFlyer).

We are going to travel in late May 2019, so travel is about 8 months out. Is it possible to hold an award reservation until Nov 1st or so?

I plan on calling in to SQ tomorrow to inquire, but want to get some advice from the group about what is possible.

Thanks!
I have only heard of SQ holding award reservations for a few days while mile transfers complete or after a waitlist clears. Holding for a month might be a bit of a stretch,
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by w4rd
I have only heard of SQ holding award reservations for a few days while mile transfers complete or after a waitlist clears. Holding for a month might be a bit of a stretch,
Not necessarily true. I've placed a redemption one-way flight on waitlist and it clears. I was given a few days hold by the system, however, I require additional miles to be transferred in to reserve both inbound and outbound one-way flights. Called in and stated my request and was granted about 2 to 3 weeks extra hold onto the reservation (although it turns out that my miles were transferred the next day). Similarly, I got the outbound to confirm first but got it on hold for months (without actually paying the taxes and booking the flight) while waiting for the inbound to clear (different class of service). You'd just need to state your reason for the hold, like I can't fly into another country without an exit itinerary.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, Marriott & SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, ShangriLa Jade, Enterprise Plat, Taj Gold

Thanks!
As long as it is on a SQ flight they will not have problems holding. I think by default they will give you several weeks if not months hold. If not you can always call in and request to extend the hold.

If it's a *A flight then they will hold but without a guarantee.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage LT GLD 1.806MM

Thanks!
Quick follow-up as a datapoint in case it is useful others:
  • Called US Singapore Airlines Reservation number, at the start of the call (before checking on award availability) I asked the reservation agent if it would be possible to hold an award until November while my credit card bonus points post and then transfer them to KrisFlyer. Agent said "yes, not a problem".
  • I fed the agent the exact SQ/MI flights I wanted for end of May 2019 (itinerary is fully on SQ/MI, no *A partners) and she confirmed award availability
  • Agent put me on hold to reserve the segments and put them on hold. She came back on the line a few minutes later to confirm the booking is on hold and the ticketing deadline is 28 March 2019, a much longer hold than I expected or need.
  • I received an email while on the phone with the agent containing the booking reference number, flight details, and written confirmation of the hold expiration date of 28 March 2019.
  • I confirmed the booking is in the system by looking at the Singapore Airlines iPhone App and on the website. I cannot reserve seat assignments until I ticket the reservation.
Overall, I'm pleased that I called in and asked for an award reservation hold for the exact flights and dates that I wanted while I wait for my final batch of points/miles to post. I will keep a close eye on the reservation to make sure it doesn't disappear!

Thank you to the group for the feedback! Hope this summary of my experience is useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.