Search

Newbie here flying (F)irst

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:00 am
FB_
Original Poster

Programs: AP
Originally Posted by vbroucek
Did you ever before heard about search function here on FT and/or about Google?

DITTO

Oh God, one year of torture...

BTW cross posting (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/asian...ing-first.html) is not allowed here...
Noted... Thanks with apologies.

Originally Posted by 24left
^^^^

^^^^

While I like the enthusiasm of FTers who are new to an exciting redemption, your points are correct.

While it may not be easy, I would think if one is going to book a major trip, they would also, for example:

- look at the websites of the airlines they will be flying
- look at seat maps or cabin layouts
- look at food options (if listed)
- look at lounge options, locations in which terminals, and hours of operation

And of course, along with being excited for the trip, do the research for each of the airlines you will be flying and your destination.

SQ has a very detailed and informative website. Reviewing it prior to my SQ flights helped me choose seats, BTC and so on.
I have done some searches and have most definitely been to the websites. There are always little tricks and tips that aren't always evident from what is posted, such as the transit hotel, I certainly haven't seen that posted anywhere yet. So that was a very useful tip and this was the kind of information I was hoping for from those who do this regularly.

Anyway, my research continues.

I also got confirmation that my last leg is now in business instead of economy.

Thanks

FB_
Old Sep 15, 2017, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by FB_
Noted... Thanks with apologies.

I have done some searches and have most definitely been to the websites. There are always little tricks and tips that aren't always evident from what is posted, such as the transit hotel, I certainly haven't seen that posted anywhere yet. So that was a very useful tip and this was the kind of information I was hoping for from those who do this regularly.

Anyway, my research continues.

I also got confirmation that my last leg is now in business instead of economy.

Thanks

FB_

Thanks for your reply. I would also suggest not posting the same on multiple forums.
If you can post specific questions that relate to the SQ forum (for e.g., specific SQ flights or seats or meals) and leave the other items that are not related, it makes it easier to follow. Also, posting the entire itinerary is long and has details that may not be relevant to your questions. (Some people just skip long posts if they have to sift through.)

The Transit hotel is posted in a few threads on the SQ forum and also on the Singapore Forum

Singapore

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/

For example

Which Singapore Changi transit hotel?

Which Singapore Changi transit hotel?
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:08 pm
FB_
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phaze
Rubbish. It's a 2-2-2 config on the flight that I bothered to check (SQ603). I hate them and manage to successfully avoid them. Someone will be along shortly to point out the advantages, though.
So based on what I've read it looks like all these A330's are going to be replaced with A350's which currently have fully flat beds. It looks like this is expected to be completed by early 2019 so I wonder what the odds of a plane upgrade will be by next August. It doesn't look like they'll have first but the business product would be better.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by FB_
So based on what I've read it looks like all these A330's are going to be replaced with A350's which currently have fully flat beds. It looks like this is expected to be completed by early 2019 so I wonder what the odds of a plane upgrade will be by next August. It doesn't look like they'll have first but the business product would be better.

And aircraft can be swapped at the last minutes as often happens at every airline, for mechanical or other operational reasons. I've seen some airlines list a phrase on the sites and on tickets that aircraft type and seat are not guaranteed.

That said, you could also keep an eye out at Routes Online. Often people will post schedule changes here n FT, but if some are missed, this is a really good resource

Main page of website

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/

Singapore Airlines (SIA) page

http://www.routesonline.com/search/?query=SIA

Here is an example of a post

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/...rvice-changes/

Attached Images  
Old Sep 18, 2017, 6:59 am

Here goes and hopefully connected....

Manado flight arrives T2 17.30. Suites to LHR next day at 9am.

Op says we will have a boarding pass + baggage booked through from Manado and transfer less than 24hrs.

Option 1 is to stay within the airport and go to a transfer hotel.

In terms of lounge usage, how would that work? Would it be possible to access on arrival and departure?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:28 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Just declined a SQ321 Suite seat as it was not window & in order to stay in preferred 17 A . Gave it to my husband .

Well wavery83 why not stay in town as Singapore is small enough & enjoy some local food & sights .
Though I must say you can hunt down some decent eateries or food courts at Changi too .

Transit hotel seems very popular , book early if interested . You might be allowed to use the lounge the whole transit duration , but why ??
SKL or Private Room is ok but nothing to warrant hanging out for so long . Unlike some Virgin

Last edited by FlyerEC; Sep 19, 2017 at 11:38 am
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:59 pm
FB_
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lokijuh
Not overcrowded at the times the OP will be there (04:40 - 06:20 on the outbound, 00:20-08:00 on the return)!

For lounge access at Changi:

- On arrival it seems that SQ 603 often arrives in T2, but if it doesn't important to note need to change to T2, before heading to lounge in T2. Access will be granted to first lounge there (no Private Room at T2 anyway).
- On departure lounge will only be to SilverKris lounge (business class section), and flight departs from T3, so best to just go there.

With the almost 8 hour layover on the return, I would seriously look at booking a room in one of the transit hotels (preferably in T3), get some sleep in a proper bed, rather than trying to sleep across sofas in the lounge. A 6 hour block costs $90 SGD (~ $80 CAD).
Totally understanding the fact that it'll be midnight to 8am. Any night life we can see outside the airport, as I would love to see downtown? Might as well adjust my clock back to EST while there lol.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
Originally Posted by FB_
Totally understanding the fact that it'll be midnight to 8am. Any night life we can see outside the airport, as I would love to see downtown? Might as well adjust my clock back to EST while there lol.
I reckon you could cab downtown, grab a drink at the Ce La Vi bar at the top of Marina Bay Sands (website says it's "open till late", not sure what time that is, but anyway your options are very limited on a Sunday night/Monday morning), grab supper at Lau Pa Sat (a historical, naturally ventilated food market open 24 hours, you'd find some nosh but many stalls will be shut during the time you're there), hop into a cab again, ask the driver to do a little tour of downtown, then head back to the airport lounge to take a shower (you might need one, given how humid Singapore can get, even at night) before your flight.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
After doing what Cowie suggests, I'd also recommend a visit to Mustafa's 24 hr department store - a store like no other. Then some Roti Prata at a nearby eatery - or Dim Sum at Swee Choon Tim Sum - a block away. Open through the night. Then head to the airport.
cowie likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:13 am
FB_
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cowie
I reckon you could cab downtown, grab a drink at the Ce La Vi bar at the top of Marina Bay Sands (website says it's "open till late", not sure what time that is, but anyway your options are very limited on a Sunday night/Monday morning), grab supper at Lau Pa Sat (a historical, naturally ventilated food market open 24 hours, you'd find some nosh but many stalls will be shut during the time you're there), hop into a cab again, ask the driver to do a little tour of downtown, then head back to the airport lounge to take a shower (you might need one, given how humid Singapore can get, even at night) before your flight.
Originally Posted by lokijuh
After doing what Cowie suggests, I'd also recommend a visit to Mustafa's 24 hr department store - a store like no other. Then some Roti Prata at a nearby eatery - or Dim Sum at Swee Choon Tim Sum - a block away. Open through the night. Then head to the airport.
Thanks these both sound like awesome suggestions.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
Just declined a SQ321 Suite seat as it was not window & in order to stay in preferred 17 A . Gave it to my husband .

Well wavery83 why not stay in town as Singapore is small enough & enjoy some local food & sights .
Though I must say you can hunt down some decent eateries or food courts at Changi too .

Transit hotel seems very popular , book early if interested . You might be allowed to use the lounge the whole transit duration , but why ??
SKL or Private Room is ok but nothing to warrant hanging out for so long . Unlike some Virgin
Re. SQ321 - was that a cash fare? I looked and couldn't find any availability on that flight. Not that it matters but just assumed that's the most popular flight out of Changi to get into LHR early morning?

Yes, I think we will go outside the airport. We are doing Singapore a proper service on the way in. Are there any recommendations for affordable hotels that gets us within reasonable transit back to Changi? Would the SIA discounts be available if not technically stopping over?

No as good as Virgin CL LHR T3? Hmmm...I liked that lounge and bar but the food was a bit service station quality. Seems there is consensus on TPR. Makes it an easier decision but might just pop in on the way out.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
The Private Room was boring. I'd get a hotel room. Peek in for a look.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by wavery83
Re. SQ321 - was that a cash fare? I looked and couldn't find any availability on that flight. Not that it matters but just assumed that's the most popular flight out of Changi to get into LHR early morning?
321 and 322 have been more or less blocked for months now, albeit unofficially. TPPS can have it opened via waitlist, though. Or by booking a revenue ticket and asking for an award seat for your companion. I've done exactly that. I'd say it's probably the most consistently busy non-shorthaul flight that SQ has in its route network. A definite cash cow.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:38 am
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Phaze
321 and 322 have been more or less blocked for months now, albeit unofficially. TPPS can have it opened via waitlist, though. Or by booking a revenue ticket and asking for an award seat for your companion. I've done exactly that. I'd say it's probably the most consistently busy non-shorthaul flight that SQ has in its route network. A definite cash cow.
wavery83 SQ 321 is LHR to SIN

It opened up & suppose TPPS get first cut

Was a full flight , as it usually is . Tried to get on various dates .

Singapore is rather small , so pick a hotel you fancy . Check about the Stopover discounts anyway
Food , especially the laksa , is decent enough.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
wavery83 SQ 321 is LHR to SIN

It opened up & suppose TPPS get first cut

Was a full flight , as it usually is . Tried to get on various dates .

Singapore is rather small , so pick a hotel you fancy . Check about the Stopover discounts anyway
Food , especially the laksa , is decent enough.
Nice one. Do we check when we're at the terminal?

Is Good Friday an issue for booking in Singapore?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.