Wiki Posts
Search

The value of Krisflyer Gold?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, KLM Platinum, Air Berlin gold, HHonors Gold, SPG gold
The value of Krisflyer Gold?

The wife has an opportunity to renew her KF Gold by paying about USD350 due to a card link up and some particular circumstances. It will entail rerouting a J booking for 2. How would you value status? Not an especially big deal, but am interested in how others perceive the value of status.

I can think of a few approaches to evaluate this -

Convenience and time:
- Ability to use business check in (god send when queues are long), but of no value while flying business for work which is maybe 25 times a year
- Boarding early, only valuable when in economy (~10 times a year)

Cost savings:
- Lounge access. Somewhat nullified by Priority Pass, but perhaps there are better *A lounges in Asia/Europe/US which are not PP?
- Excess baggage. Rarely hits the cap but >20kg may happen once or twice a year

Service/intangibles: when s*** hits the fan and there are cancellations, irrops etc, maybe better customer service? Potentially invaluable but difficult to value! I find PPS service decent but recall that KFG wasn't forthcoming when it came to clearing waitlists.

When we fly together then she can benefit from my PPS, which is a few times a year.

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:24 am

I'm clearly missing something here. 25 trips in business a year = PPS to pretty much any destination in the route network with the exception of maybe KUL depending on when the booking is made. Who cares about KF gold?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, KLM Platinum, Air Berlin gold, HHonors Gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Phaze
I'm clearly missing something here. 25 trips in business a year = PPS to pretty much any destination in the route network with the exception of maybe KUL depending on when the booking is made. Who cares about KF gold?
New job, therefore new flight pattern. The question is relevant to the next 1 year. After that, you're likely right - not sure if $25000 spend for PPS is guaranteed since most will be regional, but Gold should be fine.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
The real benefit of *G is you can have at least business class entitlement while flying in Y. So a better approach is to evaluate if the travel will be done majority in J or Y.

If in Y, you know the answer.

Originally Posted by tingadingling
- Lounge access. Somewhat nullified by Priority Pass, but perhaps there are better *A lounges in Asia/Europe/US which are not PP?
Name one PP lounge that is as par as a SKL or *G lounge.

Originally Posted by tingadingling
When we fly together then she can benefit from my PPS, which is a few times a year.
Even with PPS, your benefit can be only partially extended to your companion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.