Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ to review serving nuts after toddler has allergic reaction to pax eating peanuts

SQ to review serving nuts after toddler has allergic reaction to pax eating peanuts

Old Jul 25, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
the question is why so many kids are allergic to nuts these days?
when I was growing up, nobody seemed to be allergic to a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?
17cc likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
The durian ban is easy to understand. The fruit is strong smelling, and to many people unpleasant, so it is banned in hotels and aircraft.

I'm not familiar with the breakdown of people with peanut-only allergies compared to multiple-nut allergies but if peanuts are the main risk, then the suggestion upthread to switch to a cashew & almond mix makes sense to reduce the risk.

Good on QF for going nut free, though I'd be interested to see if they screen passengers for nuts they may have in their cabin baggage for personal consumption, and whether this is mentioned in their CoC.

If a compromise can be reached by minimising, but not eliminating, exposure to peanuts through produce substitution (give me cashews and almonds any day!) then it might be more tenable for all concerned.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:51 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I don't know if this is a good or appropriate analogy, but:

Victim (or his mother): SQ please stop serving peanuts on flights
People like me: Let's stop serving peanuts
Other people: Oh we cannot guarantee the cabin will be entirely nut free/no-one will bring peanuts on board

Doctors: Patients are dying when they're being operated on until unsterilised conditions
Lister: Let's sterilise operating environments
Other people: Oh we cannot kill all germs

(Not intended to compare myself to Joseph Lister, just the fallacy of the opposing argument)
It's all a matter of degree. But there must be must be some point where the pros outweigh the cons and change is justified.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Well AirAsia is doing perfectly well being 'unreasonable'. Are dry airlines being 'unreasonable' too?
What does doing perfectly well being unreasonable have to do with thread topic? Being unreasonable and doing well are not mutually exclusive.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by garykung
FWIW - some pax will go nut when it nut-free.
Better pax go nut than nuts

I pack snack bars that are not random, but carefully chosen based on their nutrition facts, taste, ingredients, price and availability. I eat them not only because I don't want to rely on airline to feed me (not just Y but also J w/o dine on demand), but also because I exercise and get hungry often.

I'm not eating some cheap, high sugar/carb , nut free replacement and getting sick. You can pry my snack bars out of my cold dead hands.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: MM, Krisflyer, QFF, VFF
So the family lives in Melbourne.

They were travelling from Thailand via Singapore back to Melbourne when they experienced the alleged allergic reaction to nuts.

No problems flying MEL-SIN? Maybe it was on another carrier? Open jaw booking?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:16 pm

Guess it finally happened..

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...nacks-10189042
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by natbam
The spokesperson added that snack packs for Economy class now contain peas and crackers instead of peanuts.
So okay, not cost cutting as some have feared.

My seat neighbour on my HKG-DPS flight four days ago brought his own jar of peanuts (even tho we were still served one packet of peanuts with our pre-dinner drinks)...so if anyone needs peanuts so badly they can BYO
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:13 pm

Does the peanut sauce for the satay get substituted too?
Old May 1, 2018, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Coathanger
Isn't satay served only in J and F?
Old May 1, 2018, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Isn't satay served only in J and F?
Yes. But if it's peanut allergy they are trying to protect against (as implied by the Channel News Asia article) then the removal of peanuts in Y seems like a half measure.
Old May 1, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Coathanger
Yes it will now be served with a generic chunky yellow-brown sauce with questionable origins.

I really don't see how stopping the service of peanuts in Y will help if they will still serve it in J and F. No airline in the world promises a 100% allergen-free aircraft and as such reasonable measures should be taken by those with allergies. My brother is allergic to peanuts and he always bring an epi-pen with a matching prescription. He also informs the airline to make sure that it is noted by the cabin crew so they dont give him anything with peanuts.

What if the next allergy attack is due to 'gluten particles' in the air? Will that mean they would stop serving rice and bread [good luck with that]?
davidj1 likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 11:52 pm

Isn't J/F Satay a sauce containing peanuts?

I can google numerous cases of reactions to smell of directly consumed peanuts (peanut flakes). I am less able to google a case of someone having a reaction to the vapour of a peanut sauce (without subsequently touching or consuming the sauce).

Or is this typical Flyertalk where we look for the unicorn case https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...n#post29142592 ?

Last edited by percysmith; May 1, 2018 at 11:58 pm
Old May 2, 2018, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by TravelwhileyouEat
I really don't see how stopping the service of peanuts in Y will help if they will still serve it in J and F. No airline in the world promises a 100% allergen-free aircraft and as such reasonable measures should be taken by those with allergies. My brother is allergic to peanuts and he always bring an epi-pen with a matching prescription. He also informs the airline to make sure that it is noted by the cabin crew so they dont give him anything with peanuts.
Reactions to smelling cooked sauce: they exist P.A. allergic to smell or not? (this case was a Qantas case)

Nevertheless I do not agree with your treating allergy-free cabins as a binary decision. It is more of a sliding scale.

Peanut allergy patients don't go from having no pre-warning about their condition to a full-blown symptom, unlike stroke patients - they get steadily worse over time.

They have a responsibility to bring their meds (like your brother) and to stop air travel when their allergy is so bad they cannot cope.

At least, with not serving consumed peanuts, you make the airline accessible again for a significant portion of the peanut-allergic population.

Last edited by percysmith; May 2, 2018 at 12:33 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.