Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

[Speculation] SQ221/SQ232 will receive the new A380 suites from Jan 2018

Old Jul 18, 17, 8:24 am
Original Poster

This is just a theory for now, but I'm pretty certain that SQ has already allocated the new A380 to SQ221 (SIN-SYD) and SQ232 (SYD-SIN) beginning January 1, 2018.

Looking in the GDS I noticed something strange happen a few weeks ago. Inventory was reduced to no more than R6 on both 221 and 232. Most days have fewer as there are already bookings on those flights, but not a single day in January, February or March (that's all I checked) is selling more than six suites. Since we already know that the new suites will be three rows of 1-1, it looks like SQ may have pulled down the inventory on those two flights so that they don't oversell the new cabin.

As of now, the seat map still shows the old arrangement, but see the attachments below which I think make a compelling case that they've made the switch from 1/1/2018. I searched for 7 first class seats on SQ232. There are a few days in December where there weren't that many for sale, but almost all days in Nov-Dec were available. Beginning January 1, not a single date... That's not the case for SQ222 (the later A380 flight, and unfortunately it's the one that I'm currently booked on) which is still selling a full complement of suites.

For those of you looking to redeem miles, there are plenty of days left in 2018 with Saver availability. It's still speculative, but I think there's a good chance that you'll be riding on the new plane.
Attached Images    
Old Jul 19, 17, 4:32 am

I'm booked on SQ231 in early Jan. Hadn't been able to pull up the seat map for the last day so I was getting excited but I see it's back now and looking normal.
Old Jul 19, 17, 6:28 am
THR

I'm booked on SQ232 May 31 next year. As you say, seat map is currently the old (we are booked in row 3 middle suites).

Would love it if they amend this flight routing (although, I hope we don't get "bumped"; I assume they haven't sold that far out yet).

Our second leg is SQ336 a few days later. Fingers crossed CDG gets the upgrade by then too
Old Jul 19, 17, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I'm booked on 232 in November. Yesterday my reservation showed Suites and A380. Now it says "Aircraft Type: Not available" and just First but the seat map still shows the current layout.

Probably a website glitch in my case.
Old Jul 19, 17, 12:31 pm

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by txflyer77 View Post
I'm booked on 232 in November. Yesterday my reservation showed Suites and A380. Now it says "Aircraft Type: Not available" and just First but the seat map still shows the current layout.

Probably a website glitch in my case.
Worst case scenario is an equipment swap to a 777 with F instead of Suites
Old Aug 24, 17, 11:52 pm

Is 232 the turnaround flight for 221?
Old Oct 15, 17, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by OptionsCLE View Post
This is just a theory for now, but I'm pretty certain that SQ has already allocated the new A380 to SQ221 (SIN-SYD) and SQ232 (SYD-SIN) beginning January 1, 2018.

Looking in the GDS I noticed something strange happen a few weeks ago. Inventory was reduced to no more than R6 on both 221 and 232. Most days have fewer as there are already bookings on those flights, but not a single day in January, February or March (that's all I checked) is selling more than six suites. Since we already know that the new suites will be three rows of 1-1, it looks like SQ may have pulled down the inventory on those two flights so that they don't oversell the new cabin.

As of now, the seat map still shows the old arrangement, but see the attachments below which I think make a compelling case that they've made the switch from 1/1/2018. I searched for 7 first class seats on SQ232. There are a few days in December where there weren't that many for sale, but almost all days in Nov-Dec were available. Beginning January 1, not a single date... That's not the case for SQ222 (the later A380 flight, and unfortunately it's the one that I'm currently booked on) which is still selling a full complement of suites.

For those of you looking to redeem miles, there are plenty of days left in 2018 with Saver availability. It's still speculative, but I think there's a good chance that you'll be riding on the new plane.
Curiously, when I make the exact same search now (i.e. 7x F seats on SQ221), nothing shows up from 18 December onwards. Could this mean that 18 Dec is the new launch date? Fingers crossed...

Last edited by Furrys; Oct 15, 17 at 4:26 am
Old Oct 15, 17, 5:31 am

Programs: LH HON, QF CL, SQ PPS, VA TCL, EK Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Furrys View Post
Curiously, when I make the exact same search now (i.e. 7x F seats on SQ221), nothing shows up from 18 December onwards. Could this mean that 18 Dec is the new launch date? Fingers crossed...
I'd love it if that was the case as I could take the 232 (or 222) on the 19th, however there are already 4+ seats sold on those flights over the next few days and they are still selling at least F4 on each flight. I think it's a case of peak peak travel period over Christmas school holidays from Sydney unfortunately.
Old Oct 15, 17, 9:57 am

Managed to reserve 2 saver in O on SQ221 a month ago. Third seat is still waitlist. Saver is now not available next year onwards. I guess third seat will least likely to clear now...
Old Oct 22, 17, 4:30 am

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
No more Saver available next year for SQ232 now. I check Jul-Aug 2018.
Old Oct 23, 17, 1:22 am
THR

Fingers crossed! My first suites experience and booked end May on SQ232.
Old Oct 23, 17, 4:30 am

Programs: QR/VA Gold, QF Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by terbangalways View Post
Managed to reserve 2 saver in O on SQ221 a month ago. Third seat is still waitlist. Saver is now not available next year onwards. I guess third seat will least likely to clear now...
How about using standard award? Since you already have 2 saver awards so it averages out.
Old Oct 23, 17, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by kamchatsky View Post
How about using standard award? Since you already have 2 saver awards so it averages out.
Yes, am doing this now.
However the challenge is to clear (wishful thinking) and get 3 saver on new suites once it has been released.
Old Oct 23, 17, 3:13 pm
THR

It is highly, highly unlikely you will get three Saver in new suites with the smaller cabin.

It was unlikely you you would get three under old cabin too.
Old Oct 26, 17, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Turns out I was right! The next route appears to be LHR (SQ305 / SQ322) for anyone else trying to get on the new plane.

I know it's always a risk when you post information on Flyertalk, but I'm annoyed that bloggers like OMAT are taking credit for having found this, citing their own posts from a month ago, which cited another once which had a tiny mention at the bottom that this came from FT. They get rich off of our tips!
AaaChiuuu and diningdecadence like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: