Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ Timatic

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:29 am
Original Poster

SQ Timatic

I have called the South Korean embassy and they said that a person with a US Visa, departing from the US, and transiting in South Korea to a third country can stay in South Korea for up to 30 days without a visa.

I have used the expert flyer visa requirement, traveldoc visa requirement and iatatravelcenter visa requirement and they all state the same thing except for iatatravelcenter when I specified the carrier as SQ (it shows the correct rule when I specified the carrier as Asiana, United, or "Other" carriers). Will I have a problem when checking in with SQ even though there is actually no airline restriction on this visa exemption? Which timatic does SQ use?

My flight route is SFO - LAX - ICN - SIN. Thank you.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bryant.Jr
I have called the South Korean embassy and they said that a person with a US Visa, departing from the US, and transiting in South Korea to a third country can stay in South Korea for up to 30 days without a visa.
See bold above. Did you mean to say you hold a US Passport? US Passport holders don't need a visa to transit or visit South Korea.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
See bold above. Did you mean to say you hold a US Passport? US Passport holders don't need a visa to transit or visit South Korea.
No, I'm not holding a US passport. I'm using:

http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/InfoDeta...showMenuId=375

Transit tourists bound for another country

or

http://www.immigration.go.kr/HP/IMM8...mm_p01/vm2.jsp

to enter South Korea.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 6:36 pm

Which country issued your passport? The Visa exemption is based on your passport.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glob99
Which country issued your passport? The Visa exemption is based on your passport.
Indonesia
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:00 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, GA G, JL Dia
Indonesia
Last year my dad who's a holder of Indonesian passport had no problem entering south korea. He flew to JFK via ICN with KE.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Which timatic does SQ use?
Is there more than one (version of) timatic? I always thought it was just one standard database used by everyone.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 9:45 pm

Indonesia is NOT on the visa exempt country list.

https://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/TRV/TV_ENG_2_1.jsp

However this may apply;

http://www.immigration.go.kr/HP/IMM8...mm_p01/vm2.jsp

Visitors meeting the following requirements also can enter Korea without a Korean visa for a stay of up to 30 days, if their purpose of visit is transit

Note) Nationals of Cuba,Macedonia ,however, must apply for korean visa, even if they meet these requirements

Holding a visa or a re-entry permit of the U.S. Japan, Canada, Australia, or New Zealand (5 countries)

Travelling from either of the five countries to a third country via Korea, or travelling from a third country to either of the five countries via Korea

Holding a confirmed onward flight ticket for departure within 30 days

No Immigration offence records, while in the five countries
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Get a visa if you are so worry, or simply abandon the plan.

FWIW - while the South Korean Government says it this way, airlines tend to have another way to interpret to protect themselves.

This is especially true for SQ, given that SQ outsourced its ground service.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 5:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Timatic is actually pretty confusing in this scenario as to how long you can actually stay. If OP is visa exempt, doesn't that make him TWOV (and limited to 24-72 hours)? And 30 days is hardly considered "transit."

Transit - Korea (Rep.) (KR)
Visa

Visa required.

Visa Exemptions:
Nationals of Indonesia with a visa issued by Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Czech Rep., Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, USA or United Kingdom if in transit through Korea (Rep.) must:
-hold confirmed onward tickets on flights departing within 30 days; when
-arriving from the country that issued the visa (a visa that expired on departure from that country is accepted) and departing to a third country. (YVR-ICN-DEL); or
-arriving from a third country and departing to the country that issued the visa (e.g. DEL-ICN-YVR); or
-arriving from a third country after having transited that country for a maximum stay of 3 days, departing to the country that issued the visa (e.g. DEL-SGN-ICN-YVR); or
-arriving from a third country, traveling to another country and staying there for a maximum stay of 3 days, then departing to the country that issued the visa (e.g. DEL-ICN-SGN-YVR).
Nationals of Indonesia with an e-visa issued by Australia, Canada, New Zealand or USA if in transit through Korea (Rep.) must:
-hold confirmed onward tickets on flights departing within 30 days; when
-arriving from the country that issued the visa (a visa that expired on departure from that country is accepted) and departing to a third country.

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Holders of onward tickets transiting Seoul Incheon (ICN), for a max. transit time of 24 hours.
Holders of onward tickets transiting Seoul Incheon (ICN), participating in the Transit Tourism Program for a max. transit time of 72 hours. Leaving the transit area is permitted, provided staying in Seoul, Incheon or Gyeonggi Province. Leaving the tour group is not permitted.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

I decided to cancel the ticket since it was still within 24 hours of purchase (full refund) to avoid problems during check in. I received the full refund 1-2 days after cancellation, which is very fast. For the 24 hours rule, it can only be done through the US SQ service center. Thanks for all the replies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.