Wiki Posts
Search

SIN-JFK via ZRH

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:08 am
Original Poster

SIN-JFK via ZRH

Hi!

I am considering flying SIN-ZRH-JFK/EWR as an award flight combining SQ and *A. Would this qualify as an saver award mileage equivalent to SIN-JFK flight or would it be priced out as the equivalent of 2 separate award tickets?

Thanks!

Last edited by mkt80; Jun 26, 2017 at 11:21 am
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:10 am

SQ flies ZRH to JFK?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:20 am
Original Poster

whoops - sorry the connection would be on LX or UA.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:27 am

It doesn't seem there are saver awards for partner flights.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Poster

sorry if i wasn't clear- what I am asking is this:

does on award ticket for SIN-ZRH-JFK on SQ and *A price the same as, say, SIN-ICN-JFK on SQ and *A?
Meaning, can I fly from SIN-NYC via any route or does it have to be over the Pacific to get the lowest award mileage cost?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:38 am

I don't think they have transpacific routing rules to the US.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by mkt80
sorry if i wasn't clear- what I am asking is this:

does on award ticket for SIN-ZRH-JFK on SQ and *A price the same as, say, SIN-ICN-JFK on SQ and *A?
Meaning, can I fly from SIN-NYC via any route or does it have to be over the Pacific to get the lowest award mileage cost?
Two different pricing charts: one for StarAlliance bookings and one for SQ metal only.

StarAlliance pricing is 195,000 miles return in Business Class and you can fly transatlantic or transpacific. All SQ segments must be immediately available and no waitlisting is possible/allowed.

SQ Only pricing is 184,000 miles return in Business Class Saver and you can waitlist.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Why would you not fly SIN-FRA-JFK on SQ? SQ is a much better airline than LX.

UA does not fly to JFK.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Why would you not fly SIN-FRA-JFK on SQ? SQ is a much better airline than LX.

UA does not fly to JFK.
Availability is near impossible to find. ZRH has great availability from SIN.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SMK77
Two different pricing charts: one for StarAlliance bookings and one for SQ metal only.

StarAlliance pricing is 195,000 miles return in Business Class and you can fly transatlantic or transpacific. All SQ segments must be immediately available and no waitlisting is possible/allowed.

SQ Only pricing is 184,000 miles return in Business Class Saver and you can waitlist.
Thanks for this. I wasn't aware that you couldn't waitlist when combining SQ with *A.

However, when combining SQ with *A on First class saver, it seems to price out the lower *A award as well as the lower SQ fees. Although, I am mixing SQ F with *A J, so not sure if that applies to SQ F+ *A F.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:22 pm

Thanks for this. I wasn't aware that you couldn't waitlist when combining SQ with *A.
That's because it's not correct. You can maintain waitlist for SQ flights on the same PNR even after the *A award ticket has issued. The only downside is that if the waitlist clears and you want to confirm, the ticket will need to be reissued (which requires payment of the US$20 per person reissuance fee). No fee would be payable if a waitlist clears for a SQ Only redemption.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I don't think they have transpacific routing rules to the US.
I can also confirm this myself!
Was able to book route via ZRH for same award price. Only downside is the LX connection in ZRH has to be J, since LX doesn't allow F awards with krisflyer.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 10:11 pm

Hi!

I am considering flying SIN-ZRH-JFK/EWR as an award flight combining SQ and *A. Would this qualify as an saver award mileage equivalent to SIN-JFK flight or would it be priced out as the equivalent of 2 separate award tickets?

Thanks!
I recently took advantage of the better availability on ZRH-SIN and booked a ORD-FRA-ZRH-SIN flight that priced as one award at the star alliance level. Depending on your time constraints you could do the reverse and take advantage of LH's great availability within 14 days of departure along with SQ's cheap change fees and book SIN-ZRH-FRA-JFK with FRA-JFK in LH F.

i was originally booked ORD-ZRH-SIN 10 months out then changed close to departure.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
I recently took advantage of the better availability on ZRH-SIN and booked a ORD-FRA-ZRH-SIN flight that priced as one award at the star alliance level. Depending on your time constraints you could do the reverse and take advantage of LH's great availability within 14 days of departure along with SQ's cheap change fees and book SIN-ZRH-FRA-JFK with FRA-JFK in LH F.

i was originally booked ORD-ZRH-SIN 10 months out then changed close to departure.
That's exactly what I'm planning on doing Were your taxes/fees significantly increased though when you made the change? I'm worried that adding one additional non-SQ metal flight to the route (ZRH-FRA) will increase the surcharges.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 9:50 am

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing Were your taxes/fees significantly increased though when you made the change? I'm worried that adding one additional non-SQ metal flight to the route (ZRH-FRA) will increase the surcharges.
I originally booked before SQ changed their policy regarding fuel surcharges so when I made the changes all of my costs went down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.