Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines Says Job Cuts Are Possible

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Airlines Says Job Cuts Are Possible

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2017, 1:04 am

Programs: SQ [TPP 20]
Originally Posted by SQ319
Discounts on Y aside, I wish they would allow members to earn more miles than the measly 10% on discounted fares. Even a comparison against other *A airlines show that most airlines offer a minimum of 25%. The fact that other airlines allow me to earn more miles will drive me to take other *A carriers if the flight time is not significantly longer.

I earn more miles on a 1-night hotel stay than flying on a discounted fare on SQ.

I'm in complete agreement with you. The whole Krisflyer program needs to be re-imagined because it is not effective in creating or maintaining loyalty. The program as you point out punishes customers on discounted tickets and when it comes to redeeming hard earned miles, even Solitaire's struggle.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by SQveteran
I'm in complete agreement with you. The whole Krisflyer program needs to be re-imagined because it is not effective in creating or maintaining loyalty. The program as you point out punishes customers on discounted tickets and when it comes to redeeming hard earned miles, even Solitaire's struggle.
At the very least they should look at bumping the earning on discounted tickets to some reasonable percentage. Maybe there's a no-earning bucket or a low-earning one for genuine "deep discount" offers, but most fares should get a respectable percentage of miles traveled.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
FWIW - the pride of the Republic, not its CEO, will save SQ.

Originally Posted by jjjohn
poor management is another factor.
sia didn't react and respond to rapid change and development timely and rightly.
+1

BTW - speaking of CX, do you know that when CX announced the cut, who did CX cut first?

Ans: Its CEO.

Originally Posted by YOWisHome
I have a few co workers that live in Singapore and have switched over to EVA. SQ does nothing for upgrades and has no Value proposition for those flyers who do 75K or over 100K of miles. So they will go to EVA and enjoy some upgrades and better fare options.
KF has been known as one of the worst *A program (other than redeeming SQ's own premium classes).
Old Jun 14, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, QR Gold
I earn more miles on a 1-night hotel stay than flying on a discounted fare on SQ.
Here's the thing. Before SQ's shopback portal Krisflyerspree stopped its collab with Redmart, I used to earn more miles from my groceries than flying with SQ on its discounted YCL fares. I can't quite wrap my head around this.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:02 am

Discounts on Y aside, I wish they would allow members to earn more miles than the measly 10% on discounted fares.

I agree with you that 10% miles is a little stingy on SQ part, but is only fair as SQ V/K fare class is dirt cheap nowadays. Anything more than 10% mileage accrual, we will never clear our J/O wait list redemptions. And that sucks!!!
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by garykung
KF has been known as one of the worst *A program (other than redeeming SQ's own premium classes).
KF is still bad in terms of availability. Redeeming an instant confirmed J/O nowadays is frustrating and waste of time. Flights are always shown as wait list on most popular route - even 350 days out.

We need to have some more IT glitches for some magic availability
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
One reason Singapore-based KF members are p1ssed is that it's become very easy to rack up points and miles through US credit cards. This allows US residents to redeem most of award tickets. So what's the point of earning miles or even being a PPS member when there is no availability to redeem? All their miles from corporate travel is useless if the award space is quickly taken up by US members. So why spend on SQ when you know you cannot redeem?

Most other airlines sell miles through SPG or Amex or Chase or Citi, not all four.

They have recently announced that PPS members will get priority in redemption, but yet to see the details on how they'll do it.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by spk307
One reason Singapore-based KF members are p1ssed is that it's become very easy to rack up points and miles through US credit cards. This allows US residents to redeem most of award tickets. So what's the point of earning miles or even being a PPS member when there is no availability to redeem? All their miles from corporate travel is useless if the award space is quickly taken up by US members. So why spend on SQ when you know you cannot redeem?
Let's be fair.

1. While you can blame the U.S. market for the juicy bonuses, the bottom line is the Singaporean market is simply not attractive enough in justifying the bonuses.

Beside - the number of redemption should be way smaller than you think. As a comparison, while CX is having the same problem, the data from one of its redemption partner suggested otherwise:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nes-miles.html

Also - contrary to popular beliefs, most redemption are domestic rather than international.

2. SQ only has several destinations in the U.S. While those award redemption may affect certain routes, it should not have a major impact systemwide.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: KF, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Let's be fair.

1. While you can blame the U.S. market for the juicy bonuses, the bottom line is the Singaporean market is simply not attractive enough in justifying the bonuses.

Beside - the number of redemption should be way smaller than you think. As a comparison, while CX is having the same problem, the data from one of its redemption partner suggested otherwise:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...nes-miles.html

Also - contrary to popular beliefs, most redemption are domestic rather than international.

2. SQ only has several destinations in the U.S. While those award redemption may affect certain routes, it should not have a major impact systemwide.
SQ redemption through 'partner airlines' is a moot point as SQ effectively blocks most inventory on Long haul.

We are talking about points transferred directly to KF accounts.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by terbangalways
I agree with you that 10% miles is a little stingy on SQ part, but is only fair as SQ V/K fare class is dirt cheap nowadays. Anything more than 10% mileage accrual, we will never clear our J/O wait list redemptions. And that sucks!!!
There are also dirt cheap fares on other *A carriers that earn 25% or even 50% miles.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: CX DM
FWIW - the pride of the Republic, not its CEO, will save SQ.

+1

BTW - speaking of CX, do you know that when CX announced the cut, who did CX cut first?

Ans: Its CEO.
The pride of the Republic is probably the reason why SQ will not do what CX did...
Old Jun 14, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Some improvement in economy earn for low fares might help, but also worth noting that CX, for one IIRC have zero earn fares in some categories too.

But what I find astonishing you can spend $5k SGD on three UA flights SIN-LAX you can get KF gold. But spend, say $12k SGD on 20 flexible economy return fares to CGK on SQ and won't even get KF silver. Who is worth more to the airline?

The status credit/tier point approach adopted by some carriers (QF, VA, BA ) would much better reflect contribution of economy flyers to the airline. In fact with the requisite number of VA sectors 15 flexible economy fares on SQ SIN-CGK to gets you gold , in the KF scheme it would only get you 1/3 of the way there. Shame it is not in star alliance.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: SQ TPPS, BA Silver
Originally Posted by cowie
Here's the thing. Before SQ's shopback portal Krisflyerspree stopped its collab with Redmart, I used to earn more miles from my groceries than flying with SQ on its discounted YCL fares. I can't quite wrap my head around this.
Totally agree with you on this. With ongoing expedia tie-ups with CCs I get so much more miles for buying the ticket than actually flying the flight! In fact i hardly consider the miles earned from flying nowadays... Nevertheless, about 2 years ago I was a die-hard BA fan because their cheapest fare earned me 100% (and 100% extra as Silver/Gold) while I'd earn 10% on SQ. I think I would actually actively select a slightly more expensive SQ flight if the mileage earnings for the low fare buckets were upped to 25%.

Originally Posted by terbangalways
KF is still bad in terms of availability. Redeeming an instant confirmed J/O nowadays is frustrating and waste of time. Flights are always shown as wait list on most popular route - even 350 days out.

We need to have some more IT glitches for some magic availability
I think this is true for the popular long-haul routes. But regionally it's actually still quite ok. If you're mentally prepared to fly Y and it's available for confirmation, I would recommend waitlisting J/F while confirming Y (in the same booking, so they don't have to ticket it immediately, done over the phone), and my experience even statusless is that the waitlist tends to clear a few days out and I have never had to exercise my Y back-up flight

Originally Posted by lokijuh
But what I find astonishing you can spend $5k SGD on three UA flights SIN-LAX you can get KF gold.
Unfortunately that's probably why SQ treats its KFEG members with indifference. Merely meeting the requirements of Star Alliance....
Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by KACommuter
The pride of the Republic is probably the reason why SQ will not do what CX did...
I'm wondering if the younger generation will no longer translate pride of the republic to actual bookings on SQ though.

I'm in my mid-30's and I haven't paid for a single personal trip on SQ (All redemptions and work-paid flights only). Among my circle of friends and FB acquaintances, maybe a handful do pay for SQ flights, but seemingly only for routes that are really cheap anyways (e.g. SIN-HKG, sometimes SIN-AUS during promos). Everyone else just flies scoot or vietnam air or MAS, whichever is cheapest.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spk307
SQ redemption through 'partner airlines' is a moot point as SQ effectively blocks most inventory on Long haul.

We are talking about points transferred directly to KF accounts.
Your premise is based on your disappointment re: juicy bonuses and the purported award redemption from SQ. How they are redeemed is not relevant.

Originally Posted by KACommuter
While that stupid CEO suggested that a job cut is possible, it would be impractical.

As a nation-majority-owned flag carrier, a job cut means pushing the problem back to the big boss - the Republic. As the Republic is proud to have a low unemployment rate, a job cut will be a slap in Lee Hsien Loong's face, especially given the increasing challenge in governing.

Instead, what SQ will do is simply eliminate unfilled positions, non-renewal of foreign labor, as well as delay new plane delivery. These measures will help SQ to recoup more than creating more problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.