Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlisting SQ Awards to SFO and LAX

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador
Waitlisting SQ Awards to SFO and LAX

I've recently waitlisted a couple of SQ Saver award tickets for HKG to SFO. Hedging my bets, I also tried to waitlist HKG to LAX for the same dates. On searching, the mileage appears to be the same as the HKG-SFO awards, but when I click the mileage button to complete the waitlist transaction, I'm presented with a higher required number of miles. E.g., Saver (I) should be 82,000 miles, but when I try to waitlist it, the pop-up gives me 115,500.

So, I cleared the cache and browser history, rebooted, etc. and ran the search again. As it turns out, the dates don't matter. Furthermore, I don't see this increase on any other route. But any HKG-LAX award that I attempt to book displays an increased amount of miles -- ~40% for (I) and ~70% for for (O).

Has anyone else seen this? What gives?
Old May 21, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, Club Carlson Gold, National EE, *G
Originally Posted by ShortTermParking
I've recently waitlisted a couple of SQ Saver award tickets for HKG to SFO. Hedging my bets, I also tried to waitlist HKG to LAX for the same dates. On searching, the mileage appears to be the same as the HKG-SFO awards, but when I click the mileage button to complete the waitlist transaction, I'm presented with a higher required number of miles. E.g., Saver (I) should be 82,000 miles, but when I try to waitlist it, the pop-up gives me 115,500.

So, I cleared the cache and browser history, rebooted, etc. and ran the search again. As it turns out, the dates don't matter. Furthermore, I don't see this increase on any other route. But any HKG-LAX award that I attempt to book displays an increased amount of miles -- ~40% for (I) and ~70% for for (O).

Has anyone else seen this? What gives?
This is because they don't fly HKG to LAX, so they are likely adding in another leg to get to LAX. They charge per leg, hence the higher amount of mileage.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Ambassador
Resolved: Waitlisting Awards to SFO and LAX

Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
This is because they don't fly HKG to LAX, so they are likely adding in another leg to get to LAX. They charge per leg, hence the higher amount of mileage.
And... everything is back to normal today. No longer seeing this issue of one amount displayed, then a higher amount when trying to book the waitlist. HKG-SFO and HKG-LAX are the same miles required. Must be a bug, but I can't figure out what triggered it.
Old May 21, 2017, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by PointsNmiles
SQ does not charge per leg. It is based on zoning.

Also - even it will be a long route, SQ should be able to book HKG-LAX (HKG-SIN-NRT-LAX) as soon as inventory allows.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: TMTL
Originally Posted by garykung
SQ does not charge per leg. It is based on zoning.

Also - even it will be a long route, SQ should be able to book HKG-LAX (HKG-SIN-NRT-LAX) as soon as inventory allows.
I'm having the same experience today. Flight from LAX-HKG shows 92K, but as soon as I tried waitlisting the required miles jumps
Hopefully it's just another glitch.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:46 am

I wonder if they are charging for 2 legs due to the fact you are back tracking to HKG from SIN. The SFO route sq1 is direct. The 2 LAX routes go through either ICN or NRT and then terminate at SIN. They could be adding extra for the SIN to HKG leg.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by ShortTermParking
I've recently waitlisted a couple of SQ Saver award tickets for HKG to SFO.
FWIW, my HKG-SFO waitlist cleared the day before flight. I had made other flight arrangements so I did not confirm the booking. Waistlisted ~ last Oct for flight last month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.