SIA reports $138m loss in Q4

Old May 24, 17, 11:19 pm

Programs: KF, SPG Gold
Take the recent krisflyer account launched by UOB. The local media showered praises on it, mostly copying the marketing material. When a blogger pointed out the flaws, he was almost branded an activist. when I wondered why the media dint look at it critical, I was informed that local media was not obliged to.
No wonder that SQ has cultivated such an image locally that my Singaporean colleague would rather not travel than fly other airlines, especially MH. it's a bit of an ego problem here.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; May 30, 17 at 11:16 am Reason: deleted quote
Old May 25, 17, 12:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Originally Posted by spk307 View Post
No wonder that SQ has cultivated such an image locally that my Singaporean colleague would rather not travel than fly other airlines, especially MH. it's a bit of an ego problem here.
I suddenly realized that of all the tens of thousands of miles I've flown with SQ, none of them were paid out of my own pocket - they were all either redemptions or company-paid travel. So I'm in agreement that SQ's positioning is too expensive for the added value over other carriers for probably a large chunk of self-funded travelers.

But even then, I struggle to understand why people would gloat and/or feel any sort of joy that they are losing money. I mean, all SQ can do is 1. Decrease fares to try and fill up seats, and/or 2. Cut costs, both of which result in a degraded passenger experience when flying them. No?
Old May 25, 17, 2:27 am
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Closed for moderator review.

Kiwi Flyer
FT SQ forum co-moderator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: