SIA - A Rotten Way to Fly!

Old May 12, 17, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Angry SIA - A Rotten Way to Fly!

A really nasty encounter with SIA the other day.

Its Ticketing Office in Jakarta lied to me over the phone (sold out of business saver fare) and tried to sell me a full business class for Jakarta to Hongkong while SIA's web site itself showing Business Saver was widely available. Difference in the 2 fares is almost 50% and glad I have screensaver shots as proof.

I would say this is certainly not A Great Way to Fly if I had not double check and gone for it!!

Buyers beware as I am not sure if the above is an one-off or a wide spread incident.
Old May 12, 17, 11:57 pm

Programs: KF
... so you don't have credit card to book online ?

Last edited by wanderer9020; May 13, 17 at 12:02 am
Old May 13, 17, 12:29 am

Why won't you just then go online and book it? I don't think the airline counter intends to be malicious, they can only sell tickets at full fare.

I had an experience to the contrary... once I was stuck at an airport abroad and the airline counter actually advised me - it's much cheaper if you book online, she even lent me her personal mobile phone (I didn't have roaming plan on my phone back then) and helped me booked it.
Old May 13, 17, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
OMG what a way to complain in your first post.
Old May 15, 17, 9:48 pm

Programs: LX, BA, SPG, Hyatt, Marriott
I'm sure the OP can book online, but still, there is no reason for the ticket counter to discriminate. If they want to discourage people from going to a counter, they can always charge a nominal counter fee but limiting sales to full fares is just plain ridiculous.
Old May 15, 17, 11:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
I don't think the airline counter intends to be malicious, they can only sell tickets at full fare.
Originally Posted by flyasia View Post
I'm sure the OP can book online, but still, there is no reason for the ticket counter to discriminate. If they want to discourage people from going to a counter, they can always charge a nominal counter fee but limiting sales to full fares is just plain ridiculous.
I never knew this limitation. Is it standard practice across other (non LCC) airlines, or is it more specific to SQ?
Old May 16, 17, 6:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold & Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by laymanUtama View Post

Its Ticketing Office in Jakarta lied to me over the phone (sold out of business saver fare) and tried to sell me a full business class for Jakarta to Hongkong while SIA's web site itself showing Business Saver was widely available. Difference in the 2 fares is almost 50% and glad I have screensaver shots as proof.

I would say this is certainly not A Great Way to Fly if I had not double check and gone for it!!

Buyers beware as I am not sure if the above is an one-off or a wide spread incident.
Belated welcome to FlyerTalk after a few years of lurking! ^
Old May 16, 17, 7:07 am

I avoid the SQ office in Jakarta and prefer to call the Singapore number instead. It was difficult to issue award. I got waitlisted, but couldn't pay online for some reason. The one in Jakarta asked me to bring my krisflyer card to their office. I just called the Singapore number and they can issue the ticket over the phone without going to their office. When I wanted to change my ticket to a different date and routing, they cannot tell me the fare difference. The one in Singapore asked my phone number and called back within an hour with the fee that I need to pay and I can pay over the phone too.
Old May 16, 17, 8:09 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by carrotjuice View Post
Why won't you just then go online and book it? I don't think the airline counter intends to be malicious, they can only sell tickets at full fare.
Can confirm this is 100% not true at Heathrow. Was bumped from a Emirates flight (ID75 so not protected) and had to get to Singapore the next day for a meeting, so walked up and down Terminal 3 (so a couple of years ago) checking the prices of all the available airlines inc BA/QR/SQ etc

Asked at the SQ ticket desk and they confirmed they can offer me a V Class Internet Fare, and booked me LHR-SIN/HKG-SIN-LHR for 505 there are then, and I flew two hours later. Obviously the flight was wide open, but got to SIN 4 hours quicker than I would have on EK ^
Old May 16, 17, 9:59 am

Programs: Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by shuigao View Post
I never knew this limitation. Is it standard practice across other (non LCC) airlines, or is it more specific to SQ?
Was actually quoted a Full Y Class fare by BR over the phone instead of the M class I wanted so I don't think it is limited to SQ.
Old May 16, 17, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Bryant.Jr View Post
I avoid the SQ office in Jakarta and prefer to call the Singapore number instead. It was difficult to issue award. I got waitlisted, but couldn't pay online for some reason. The one in Jakarta asked me to bring my krisflyer card to their office. I just called the Singapore number and they can issue the ticket over the phone without going to their office. When I wanted to change my ticket to a different date and routing, they cannot tell me the fare difference. The one in Singapore asked my phone number and called back within an hour with the fee that I need to pay and I can pay over the phone too.
Same experience. Welcome to Jakarta
Old May 16, 17, 7:16 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Originally Posted by terbangalways View Post
Same experience. Welcome to Jakarta
Yes, welcome to Jakarta. I often end up calling Singapore office for better service. It's possible the rep in this case was just not well trained, rather than acting maliciously. The reason I say this is that the reps in the Jakarta office are generally not as competent or well trained. I've never had one obviously try to cheat me before, though.
Old May 17, 17, 2:00 am

Programs: SQ TPP, GA G, JL Dia
Originally Posted by Bryant.Jr View Post
That's weird, I tried issuing A class ticket 2 weeks ago by calling Singapore number, but the phone agent couldn't quote me the price since it's promo/cheapest fare or something. I was asked to go to Jakarta office, went there and the agent was able to give me the pricing and issue the ticket with no fuss.
Old May 17, 17, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by laymanUtama View Post

Try Air China and see how helpful they will be to you.
Old May 17, 17, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Try Air China and see how helpful they will be to you.
Air China has a great Business & First product, its not a bad airline.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: