Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ - "Capital Express" SIN CBR WLG Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ - "Capital Express" SIN CBR WLG Service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by elephentravels
In August, I don't need a visa for New Zealand. Just need one for the Australia transit.
Why do you believe you need a transit visa for Australia?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: KF Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Titanium
Originally Posted by RTWFF
Why do you believe you need a transit visa for Australia?
The IATA site says I need one, however on the Australia Department of Home Affairs website (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/...ough-australia) it says:
If you are transiting though Australia for less than eight hours and you do not need to leave the airport transit lounge (except to board your connecting flight), you may not need to apply for a Transit visa (subclass 771)
"may not" instead of "do not" in that sentence points to a possible need of the transit visa.

I've emailed the Australia Consulate in Singapore, but yet to get an answer. I would rather take the time and trouble to get the transit visa, instead of missing the whole trip. Few days ago, a Singaporean friend of mine, unaware of a need for a visa when travelling to India was sent back at the airport, he had to get an urgent visa the next day and paid in excess of SGD300 for it.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF
Yes, according to SeatGuru it's the old 772 planes - https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Si...htno=248&date=
You transit Melbourne, you do not pass through Immigration
I always take the side that's away from the sun; apart from that you can never predict the exact path the pilot will take so it's impossible to say what you'll be able to see
Something strange, on the SQ website it says 777-200 plane, however when I check on the SQ app, it says 777-200ER plane, will there be a change in equipment?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:05 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Something strange, on the SQ website it says 777-200 plane, however when I check on the SQ app, it says 777-200ER plane, will there be a change in equipment?..
Refer to Posts 71 & 73 in this thread.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The IATA site says I need one, however on the Australia Department of Home Affairs website (https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/...ough-australia) it says:
<snip>.
From the linked Au government site above
Categories of eligible travellers

The following categories of travellers are eligible to transit through Australia without applying for a visa if they also meet the criteria below:

Citizens of the following countries:
  • Andorra, Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kiribati, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mexico, Monaco, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Tonga, Tuvalu, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom (including its colonies), United States of America, Uruguay, Vanuatu and Vatican.
  • Residents of Hong Kong holding a Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) passport or a British National Overseas (BNO) passport.
  • Residents of Taiwan holding a passport issued by the authorities of Taiwan (other than passports purported to be official or diplomatic passports).
  • Indian official passport holders
    <snip>
So I assume elephentravels does not hold a passport from one of those countries.
But official advice should be obtained
RTWFF likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Just need some advice here from experienced KF flyers. Is a mileage run (WLG-MEL-WLG) for $329 return in August worth it to get to Krisflyer gold? I'm doing the Golden Circle Jade status match with KF that involves 3 SQ flights within 4 months to get KF Gold. You get star alliance gold as well.

Just wondering. do KF Golds see more award availability when searching up awards on the SQ site than say KF Silver? Thinking SQ suites availability out of JFK etc. I've read varying reviews of the KF gold benefits so just wondering if it's worth it for a couple of days in Melbourne.

Also I got an email saying SQ were having a sale next week. I guess the prices aren't going to go much cheaper than $329-349 return for WLG-MEL? Is there anyway you can hold SQ flights online for a few days or do you have to pay for them up front?

Many thanks in advance.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
From the linked Au government site above

So I assume elephentravels does not hold a passport from one of those countries.
But official advice should be obtained
Unfortunately no.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Ellice
Is a mileage run (WLG-MEL-WLG) for $329 return in August worth it to get to Krisflyer gold?
I don't know about increased award availability. Advantages are lounge access, check in via business class counter, fast track security (at participating airports), various others (priority baggage handling seems to work in most places). May also give you more chance of being invited to bid for upgrades via mySQupgrade and will increase your chance of a complimentary upgrade from minuscule to tiny. Is that worth $329? Could you spend one night in Melbourne to sweeten the deal - it's a fairly nice city. Price unlikely to drop much although it's an undersubscribed route - before they moved it from CBR-WLG they were offering J class return for $900.
RTWFF likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Any recent experience on SQ288 SYD-CBR-SIN? I'm in biz next week and not looking forward to the stop -over (no lounge etc.)
Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Any recent experience on SQ288 SYD-CBR-SIN? I'm in biz next week and not looking forward to the stop -over (no lounge etc.)
Definitely a "First World Problem"
Old Aug 9, 2018, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by Tokyoite
Yes there is no lounge access during the stop-over but you're really only in the terminal for effectively 30 minutes as boarding commences 30 minutes before departure.

Between Sydney and Canberra, seatbelt signs go off at approximately 5,000 feet and a cold snack similar to a smoked duck salad with coffee/tea is served. You'll need to be quick as the trays are collected pretty much 2 minutes after you've been given them if you're sitting anywhere after row 20. I'd suggest eating in the lounge beforehand and just having a drink instead.

Between Canberra and Singapore, it's the sleeper service so you can choose to either have one or two meals. Supper is served almost immediately after departure from Canberra and breakfast about two hours out of Singapore (3am Singapore time).
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by a340-313x
Yes there is no lounge access during the stop-over but you're really only in the terminal for effectively 30 minutes as boarding commences 30 minutes before departure.
Between Sydney and Canberra, seat belt signs go off at approximately 5,000 feet and a cold snack similar to a smoked duck salad with coffee/tea is served. You'll need to be quick as the trays are collected pretty much 2 minutes after you've been given them if you're sitting anywhere after row 20. I'd suggest eating in the lounge beforehand and just having a drink instead.
Between Canberra and Singapore, it's the sleeper service so you can choose to either have one or two meals. Supper is served almost immediately after departure from Canberra and breakfast about two hours out of Singapore (3am Singapore time).
thanks for this information. exactly what I was looking for. So, I will head to the airport lounge early to have dinner. a 3AM breakfast is just brutal.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/trave...s-alcohol-test
A Singapore Airlines flight to Wellington ahead of the All Blacks test was cancelled after a pilot failed an alcohol test.

The flight from Melbourne was meant to arrive in Wellington at 12.20pm on Saturday.

But Singapore Airlines spokesman Karl Schubert confirmed the flight was abruptly cancelled after Australian Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) officials undertook a random alcohol and drug test on crew.

The pilot, who had flown in from Singapore, then had a day or two's layover in Melbourne, was about to start flying for the day but failed the alcohol test.
<snip>
So one way to end a career.

Edit
Another newspaper link https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...6e6538b577a46b

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Sep 17, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
What would interesting to know (but we never will) is whether the degree of impairment was such that other flight crew and/or cabin crew would have noticed - and if so, what (if anything) would they have done? I suppose it is quite possible that had CASA randomly selected another person, then this pilot would have escaped detection if he/she was just over the established threshold and colleagues did not notice anything amiss.

Given the nature of random testing, and assuming the sample size is relatively small, it can be reasonably assumed that there are other instances where flight/cabin crew impairment is not detected (or not reported) by anyone.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:48 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand f/f, QF f/f Silver. Emirates Skywards
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
What would interesting to know (but we never will) is whether the degree of impairment was such that other flight crew and/or cabin crew would have noticed - and if so, what (if anything) would they have done? I suppose it is quite possible that had CASA randomly selected another person, then this pilot would have escaped detection if he/she was just over the established threshold and colleagues did not notice anything amiss.

Given the nature of random testing, and assuming the sample size is relatively small, it can be reasonably assumed that there are other instances where flight/cabin crew impairment is not detected (or not reported) by anyone.
If you check the link below you will see that ALL crew members were tested - I wonder if they had a tip-off ??

Ozziekiwi

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...light-10724922

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.