Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

SQ - "Capital Express" SIN CBR WLG Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SQ - "Capital Express" SIN CBR WLG Service

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2018, 4:50 am

Programs: VA Plat QF Silv
Just flew SQ248 WLG-MEL in Y. Service was great, food excellent (seafood hor fun + ice cream), typical SQ style which is a big change for trans-Tasman flyers...

The plane is however old, seats lack any sort of support, the poor resolution on the IFE screen is noticeable, and it was amusing watching at the start how many people thought it was touch screen.

Load was 99% full in Y - upon disembarkation at MEL looked about 50/50 as to who was going 'upstairs' to continue to SIN and who was going straight ahead to leave at MEL.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: Eternal Search for LT Club
Originally Posted by CorporateFlyer
Just flew SQ248 WLG-MEL in Y. Service was great, food excellent (seafood hor fun + ice cream), typical SQ style which is a big change for trans-Tasman flyers...

The plane is however old, seats lack any sort of support, the poor resolution on the IFE screen is noticeable, and it was amusing watching at the start how many people thought it was touch screen.

Load was 99% full in Y - upon disembarkation at MEL looked about 50/50 as to who was going 'upstairs' to continue to SIN and who was going straight ahead to leave at MEL.
Any idea of the menu in J, I am doing SQ247 later in the year couldn't find menu anywhere.
I do agree IFE on 772 is pretty dated, as I have taken that flight as a regional J a few times.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: A3 Gold, SQ Gold, AT Gold, Accor Silver, HHonors Diamond, I Prefer Elite, DISCOVERY Titanium
Originally Posted by rtgta
Any idea of the menu in J, I am doing SQ247 later in the year couldn't find menu anywhere.
I do agree IFE on 772 is pretty dated, as I have taken that flight as a regional J a few times.
shall be ale to provide an update for you in september
rtgta likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: Krisflyer
Originally Posted by RTWFF
Interestingly there are plenty of J redemption seats CBR-SIN at the Saver rate showing up, but they don't show up at all for SYD-SIN on the same dates even though it's the same aircraft that now flies SYD-CBR-SIN. According the SQ app on my phone, SQ288 is a 777-300ER aircraft, which I understand has lie-flat seats. Only downside is the 60-minute stopover in CBR with no lounge (First World problem).
My guess is that the fact that SYD-CBR doubles as an inbound and outbound flight must affect availability for this leg. Only making it possible/easy to get awards from CBR must simplify the load management. otherwise they can end up with passengers returning to CBR competing for a seat with passengers flying out of SYD on that 45 minute flight.

Unrelated: is anyone going to the SQ new seat demonstration in CBR tomorrow?
Old May 21, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
I flew SIN-MEL-WLG last week (and had flown it twice when it was SIN-CBR-WLG). Although they're still using an older plane I was much happier with it vs what they used for SIN-CBR-WLG. Two things I appreciated: much wider range of entertainment library, and the presence for USB outlet for charging phones.

I took as a downgrade however their doing away with dessert item for meals, replacing it with ice cream in cup.
Old May 26, 2018, 10:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by rtgta
I haven't yet taken the new routing but flew the via CBR route many times. There are several menus in the FT menu thread. I imagine the menu remains similar.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: KF Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Titanium
Just booked award tickets in August

SIN - MEL - WLG in J, return in Y on SQ 248/247... 120k miles for 2 pax, great promo from SQ.

Would it still be the old 772 planes?
Any idea if will disembark at MEL, do I need to apply for a visa for MEL?

What food to be expected?

And which side of the plane for the best views for each leg?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elephentravels

SIN - MEL - WLG in J, return in Y on SQ 248/247... 120k miles for 2 pax, great promo from SQ.

You will have to disembark at MEL. You will remain airside and do not formally enter Australia. Go through the transit door from arrivals side to departures side.
If you need an airside transit visa will depend on your passport, etc
Airlines use TIMATIC to check passengers eligibility to travel. You should not rely on posts from FT, but use official sources
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav

General sites. Some airlines have links to TIMATICSome visa info in the links in this thread--> Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki.

MEL airport thread. Click to open the wiki.
Airport info MELBOURNE (MEL) - amenities, transfers, transport
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
What food to be expected?
And which side of the plane for the best views for each leg?
Yes, according to SeatGuru it's the old 772 planes - https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Singapore_Air/Singapore_Air_Boeing_777-200_2.php?flightno=248&date=
You transit Melbourne, you do not pass through Immigration
I always take the side that's away from the sun; apart from that you can never predict the exact path the pilot will take so it's impossible to say what you'll be able to see
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Ended up booking a one-way redemption AKL-SYD-BKK-KIX (NZ C/ TG F/ TG F) for 65K United Miles (vs the 50K it was going to cost for the SQ slanted beds!) so it all worked out for me.
Thanks for the replies here anyway!
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Looking for Business Class redemption ex-WLG, I see the new SQ flight WLG-MEL-SIN on the (I presume old old) 777-200. Would that be the old slanted Biz seats?
I assume so, since booking SQ C with UA miles is limited to non-flat beds, right?
That said, even for this itinerary, it might be ok in SQ C considering lounges in SIN, catering, service, etc.
Thoughts/ comments? Thanks!
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by RTWFF
Yes, according to SeatGuru it's the old 772 planes - https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Si...htno=248&date=
You transit Melbourne, you do not pass through Immigration
I always take the side that's away from the sun; apart from that you can never predict the exact path the pilot will take so it's impossible to say what you'll be able to see
The seat configuration seems to match the V2 here: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Si..._777-200_4.php, would it still be the old seats in J?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You will have to disembark at MEL. You will remain airside and do not formally enter Australia. Go through the transit door from arrivals side to departures side.
If you need an airside transit visa will depend on your passport, etc
Airlines use TIMATIC to check passengers eligibility to travel. You should not rely on posts from FT, but use official sources
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav

General sites. Some airlines have links to TIMATICSome visa info in the links in this thread--> Smartgate at Australia & NZ immigration Click to open the wiki.

MEL airport thread. Click to open the wiki.
Airport info MELBOURNE (MEL) - amenities, transfers, transport
Thanks for the links, looks like I will need a transit visa. Any idea how hard/troublesome it is to get?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the links, looks like I will need a transit visa. Any idea how hard/troublesome it is to get?
No idea. If there is an Aust embassy/consulate in Mauritius or Singapore you could phone and ask.
Or just apply on-line.
When do you want to travel?
Do you have a NZ visa or other entry?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
What are you basing that on?
Old Jul 17, 2018, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
No idea. If there is an Aust embassy/consulate in Mauritius or Singapore you could phone and ask.
Or just apply on-line.
When do you want to travel?
Do you have a NZ visa or other entry?
In August, I don't need a visa for New Zealand. Just need one for the Australia transit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.