35 miles short for gold

Old Apr 30, 17, 11:24 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 1,254
35 miles short for gold

I am fairly new to SQ / *A (had been with AA/OW for years).

I am at 49,965 miles after my last evening flight (already posted). I have my next flight mid May on SQ and will appreciate if I can get the *G benefits.

Is there a way SQ will give me the 35 miles I am short of?
vishalgupta22 is offline  
Old May 1, 17, 2:13 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Posts: 3,745
No, they will not "give you 35 miles" - they are airline, not a charity...
vbroucek is offline  
Old May 1, 17, 4:49 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 66
I think he meant land him to Gold by "giving" him 35 miles

Btw, I'm quite sure they will award you elite gold. But timing is an issue
sqzulu is offline  
Old May 1, 17, 6:07 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 1,254
Thanks a lot everyone
vishalgupta22 is offline  
Old May 2, 17, 11:57 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: ZOA, SFO, HKG
Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Posts: 10,914
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22 View Post
Is there a way SQ will give me the 35 miles I am short of?
The way I see it - airlines will not fastrack (i.e. early qualify) your status simply because an insignificant amount of qualifying miles is missing. However, if at the end of your qualifying period, you are still missing those miles, then the airlines may exercise their discretion to grant you the next level.

So it is pretty sure that you will still be a *S for next flight.
garykung is offline  
Old May 4, 17, 7:40 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: CGK
Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Posts: 121
Originally Posted by vbroucek View Post
No, they will not "give you 35 miles" - they are airline, not a charity...

Actually, there's no denying SIA *is* a charity. Just look at their CSR report:

Plenty of global charity work... Singapore based: support for the symphony orchestra, dance, opera, Salvation Army... Globally: Medecins Sans Frontieres, reforestation in Indonesia, children and the Arts in Australia, and others in India, Korea, Germany, UK, US, Philippines... the list goes on.

@vishalgupta22, if you want to make sure, maybe a call to Krisflyer will help your case. For example, for PPS, there is always a little leniency on qualification or re-qualification when the member is right near the cutoff. They may not "give you 35 miles" but they may qualify you anyways, especially if they see you continue to have future bookings.
SQShortFinal is offline  
Old May 4, 17, 8:02 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Posts: 3,745
Originally Posted by SQShortFinal View Post
Actually, there's no denying SIA *is* a charity. Just look at their CSR report:

Plenty of global charity work... Singapore based: support for the symphony orchestra, dance, opera, Salvation Army... Globally: Medecins Sans Frontieres, reforestation in Indonesia, children and the Arts in Australia, and others in India, Korea, Germany, UK, US, Philippines... the list goes on.
You are mistaken. SIA is not a charity. SIA indeed, as any other airline, supports charitable organisations... But that is significantly different from being a charity.
vbroucek is offline  
Old May 4, 17, 10:54 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: CGK
Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Posts: 121
An organization that raises money or provides help for those in need or that does charitable work year-after-year can be called a charity. SIA even has its own "SIA Charity Gala" and "SIA Charity Run" which has raised and given away millions of $ for those in need for many years. Walks like a duck, talks like a duck...

But to go back to the original point of the OPs question, yes, SQ will frequently help out its frequent fliers who have not reached a mileage threshold, but are close, to attain status anyways, whether it's called charity or some other word. Usually it just takes a call and being nice about it.

Last edited by SQShortFinal; May 4, 17 at 11:22 pm
SQShortFinal is offline  
Old May 4, 17, 11:48 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 164
Call in and ask nicely, but be mentally prepared for them to say no (i.e. don't get nasty if/when they say no).

The only time I did it, was when I was a few hundred short and within days of my expiry date, and the next flight happening ONE day after expiry.
redvelvetmartinis is offline  
Old May 5, 17, 3:56 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 1,254
Originally Posted by SQShortFinal View Post
Actually, there's no denying SIA *is* a charity. Just look at their CSR report:

Plenty of global charity work... Singapore based: support for the symphony orchestra, dance, opera, Salvation Army... Globally: Medecins Sans Frontieres, reforestation in Indonesia, children and the Arts in Australia, and others in India, Korea, Germany, UK, US, Philippines... the list goes on.

@vishalgupta22, if you want to make sure, maybe a call to Krisflyer will help your case. For example, for PPS, there is always a little leniency on qualification or re-qualification when the member is right near the cutoff. They may not "give you 35 miles" but they may qualify you anyways, especially if they see you continue to have future bookings.
Thanks for your advice. I called them (SG number during SG working hours) and made a request. The CSR was super polite and said he is sending a Email to his manager and will revert back to me in 1-2 days.
vishalgupta22 is offline  
Old May 5, 17, 3:58 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 1,254
Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis View Post
Call in and ask nicely, but be mentally prepared for them to say no (i.e. don't get nasty if/when they say no).

The only time I did it, was when I was a few hundred short and within days of my expiry date, and the next flight happening ONE day after expiry.
Thanks. I just called them and made a request. They said they will call me in 1-2 days.
vishalgupta22 is offline  
Old May 5, 17, 11:00 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Posts: 3,745
Originally Posted by garykung View Post
The way I see it - airlines will not fastrack (i.e. early qualify) your status simply because an insignificant amount of qualifying miles is missing. However, if at the end of your qualifying period, you are still missing those miles, then the airlines may exercise their discretion to grant you the next level.

So it is pretty sure that you will still be a *S for next flight.
THIS!!!

Originally Posted by SQShortFinal View Post
But to go back to the original point of the OPs question, yes, SQ will frequently help out its frequent fliers who have not reached a mileage threshold, but are close, to attain status anyways, whether it's called charity or some other word. Usually it just takes a call and being nice about it.
The point (not answered by OP) is how far in your qualification period you are. If you are 35 miles short at the end of your qualification period, then yes, they will grant you exemption and forget about those 45 miles. But if you think they will grant you exemption and fast track you before your next flight (still within in your qualification period) just so you can be *G on that flight then I am sorry, NO WAY!!!
vbroucek is offline  
Old May 7, 17, 3:01 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 1,254
Originally Posted by vbroucek View Post
THIS!!!



The point (not answered by OP) is how far in your qualification period you are. If you are 35 miles short at the end of your qualification period, then yes, they will grant you exemption and forget about those 45 miles. But if you think they will grant you exemption and fast track you before your next flight (still within in your qualification period) just so you can be *G on that flight then I am sorry, NO WAY!!!
Sorry, I failed to realize that my status expiration dates matter. My account page says I need to earn 35 miles by September 30, 2017.

Thanks for providing clarity.

I will try to take a domestic on united to hit gold before taking my next TAPC next week so that I don't lose all the status miles from my TPAC.
vishalgupta22 is offline  
Old May 7, 17, 8:49 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 1,254
Just checked my SQ status on the app and they have actually upgraded me to Gold.

My membership year has also been reset to May 31.
vishalgupta22 is offline  
Old May 7, 17, 9:21 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 66
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22 View Post
Just checked my SQ status on the app and they have actually upgraded me to Gold.

My membership year has also been reset to May 31.
so the appeal to them most likely worked. Can avoidyour domestic ua flight
sqzulu is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: