Wiki Posts
Search

35 miles short for gold

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
35 miles short for gold

I am fairly new to SQ / *A (had been with AA/OW for years).

I am at 49,965 miles after my last evening flight (already posted). I have my next flight mid May on SQ and will appreciate if I can get the *G benefits.

Is there a way SQ will give me the 35 miles I am short of?
Old May 1, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
No, they will not "give you 35 miles" - they are airline, not a charity...
Old May 1, 2017, 4:49 am

I think he meant land him to Gold by "giving" him 35 miles

Btw, I'm quite sure they will award you elite gold. But timing is an issue
Old May 1, 2017, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot everyone
Old May 2, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
Is there a way SQ will give me the 35 miles I am short of?
The way I see it - airlines will not fastrack (i.e. early qualify) your status simply because an insignificant amount of qualifying miles is missing. However, if at the end of your qualifying period, you are still missing those miles, then the airlines may exercise their discretion to grant you the next level.

So it is pretty sure that you will still be a *S for next flight.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
Originally Posted by vbroucek
No, they will not "give you 35 miles" - they are airline, not a charity...

Actually, there's no denying SIA *is* a charity. Just look at their CSR report:

Plenty of global charity work... Singapore based: support for the symphony orchestra, dance, opera, Salvation Army... Globally: Medecins Sans Frontieres, reforestation in Indonesia, children and the Arts in Australia, and others in India, Korea, Germany, UK, US, Philippines... the list goes on.

@vishalgupta22, if you want to make sure, maybe a call to Krisflyer will help your case. For example, for PPS, there is always a little leniency on qualification or re-qualification when the member is right near the cutoff. They may not "give you 35 miles" but they may qualify you anyways, especially if they see you continue to have future bookings.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by SQShortFinal

Plenty of global charity work... Singapore based: support for the symphony orchestra, dance, opera, Salvation Army... Globally: Medecins Sans Frontieres, reforestation in Indonesia, children and the Arts in Australia, and others in India, Korea, Germany, UK, US, Philippines... the list goes on.
You are mistaken. SIA is not a charity. SIA indeed, as any other airline, supports charitable organisations... But that is significantly different from being a charity.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, *A G
An organization that raises money or provides help for those in need or that does charitable work year-after-year can be called a charity. SIA even has its own "SIA Charity Gala" and "SIA Charity Run" which has raised and given away millions of $ for those in need for many years. Walks like a duck, talks like a duck...

But to go back to the original point of the OPs question, yes, SQ will frequently help out its frequent fliers who have not reached a mileage threshold, but are close, to attain status anyways, whether it's called charity or some other word. Usually it just takes a call and being nice about it.

Last edited by SQShortFinal; May 4, 2017 at 11:22 pm
Old May 4, 2017, 11:48 pm

Call in and ask nicely, but be mentally prepared for them to say no (i.e. don't get nasty if/when they say no).

The only time I did it, was when I was a few hundred short and within days of my expiry date, and the next flight happening ONE day after expiry.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:56 am
Original Poster

@vishalgupta22, if you want to make sure, maybe a call to Krisflyer will help your case. For example, for PPS, there is always a little leniency on qualification or re-qualification when the member is right near the cutoff. They may not "give you 35 miles" but they may qualify you anyways, especially if they see you continue to have future bookings.
Thanks for your advice. I called them (SG number during SG working hours) and made a request. The CSR was super polite and said he is sending a Email to his manager and will revert back to me in 1-2 days.
Old May 5, 2017, 3:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redvelvetmartinis
Call in and ask nicely, but be mentally prepared for them to say no (i.e. don't get nasty if/when they say no).

The only time I did it, was when I was a few hundred short and within days of my expiry date, and the next flight happening ONE day after expiry.
Thanks. I just called them and made a request. They said they will call me in 1-2 days.
Old May 5, 2017, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
The way I see it - airlines will not fastrack (i.e. early qualify) your status simply because an insignificant amount of qualifying miles is missing. However, if at the end of your qualifying period, you are still missing those miles, then the airlines may exercise their discretion to grant you the next level.

So it is pretty sure that you will still be a *S for next flight.
THIS!!!

But to go back to the original point of the OPs question, yes, SQ will frequently help out its frequent fliers who have not reached a mileage threshold, but are close, to attain status anyways, whether it's called charity or some other word. Usually it just takes a call and being nice about it.
The point (not answered by OP) is how far in your qualification period you are. If you are 35 miles short at the end of your qualification period, then yes, they will grant you exemption and forget about those 45 miles. But if you think they will grant you exemption and fast track you before your next flight (still within in your qualification period) just so you can be *G on that flight then I am sorry, NO WAY!!!
Old May 7, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vbroucek
THIS!!!

The point (not answered by OP) is how far in your qualification period you are. If you are 35 miles short at the end of your qualification period, then yes, they will grant you exemption and forget about those 45 miles. But if you think they will grant you exemption and fast track you before your next flight (still within in your qualification period) just so you can be *G on that flight then I am sorry, NO WAY!!!
Sorry, I failed to realize that my status expiration dates matter. My account page says I need to earn 35 miles by September 30, 2017.

Thanks for providing clarity.

I will try to take a domestic on united to hit gold before taking my next TAPC next week so that I don't lose all the status miles from my TPAC.
Old May 7, 2017, 8:49 pm
Original Poster

Just checked my SQ status on the app and they have actually upgraded me to Gold.

My membership year has also been reset to May 31.
Old May 7, 2017, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
Just checked my SQ status on the app and they have actually upgraded me to Gold.

My membership year has also been reset to May 31.
so the appeal to them most likely worked. Can avoidyour domestic ua flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.